What doesn't work with a non-supported camera.

QVR Pro, QVR Pro Client, QVR Center and Surveillance Station
OldDuffer
Starting out

What doesn't work with a non-supported camera.

Post by OldDuffer »

If you connect a non-supported camera, what does work and what does not. i.e. do you always get a picture, is it only the PTZ that is not controllable or what.

The reason for the question is that I am trying to ascertain what cameras to purchase for my TS509 and I am looking for specific attributes like outside, domed, low light and then worry about the compatibility with QNAP.

ttfn Bob
TS509 Pro, 5 1TB in raid 6, APC Smart-UPS 750, SqueezeBox Duet
QNAPJason
QNAP Staff

Re: What doesn't work with a non-supported camera.

Post by QNAPJason »

Hi Bob,
For the full functionality, please check QNAP's compatibility table about IP cameras.
http://qnap.com/pro_compatibility_camera.asp

It's still recommended to use models from the supported IP cameras.
For non-supported cameras, most of the time the Surveillance Station will not detect the camera at all.
OldDuffer
Starting out

Post by OldDuffer »

Hi Jason

I appreciate that it will be best to use a camera that is known to work but I still have the problem of my other specifications. At the moment I am searching through the internet matching up approved cameras with my specific requirements. This information like IP rating, housing, lens, low light sensitivity, mounting etc. is missing from the compatibility list.

ttfn Bob
santanova
New here

Post by santanova »

Officially compatible ip cam not always work. I posted the following more than one month ago but get no response so far.

http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=144&t=19707
OldDuffer
Starting out

Post by OldDuffer »

Dear QNAPJason

I have conducted a survey using the cameras stated in the compatibility list, 27 of them being obsolete leaving 25. So more than 50 % of recommended cameras cannot be obtained.
This just highlights the need for an urgent review of the situation and the software support available.
As regards to my requirements, I can find only 2 cameras that I can use despite reducing the requirements.

Attached is a text file of my survey.
qnapcamlist.rar
My notes on the list state: Discontinued = either stated as discontinued, phased out or not found on the manufacturers web site. Stock may be found at retailers.

ttfn Bob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
len davis
New here

Post by len davis »

Hi Jason

I have 2 non compatable cameras, working ok. I just used the Generic JPEG setting for the camera type and filled the rest in.

Of course the camera would have jpeg output. Most seem to.

You might have to search for the string required, normaly found in a .cdf file (camera definition file)

Hear are my 2 strings
/video/mjpg.cgi?profileid=1
/cgi-bin/video.jpg?cam=3 ?quality=5 ?size=5

Regards from

Len Davis
Actonx
First post

Post by Actonx »

Thanks Ian

Its works! I have a Dlink DCS-1130 camera (not listet), and by choosing Generic JPEG setting for the camera type, it works after using the string "/video/mjpg.cgi?profileid=1".

Thanks again :D
Paul
Mange
First post

Post by Mange »

Hi there,
Also struggling to get my camera to work and just read this interresting thread, where and how do you put in these mentioned strings? In Qnap surveillance settings, after selecting Generic JPEG there just is "HTTP URL" to write in??

( The cam I have is this one:http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15974 )

/Mange
wpaisley
First post

Post by wpaisley »

Will the Vivortek pz6122 work? some of the pt models work and there doesn't seemto be a lot of difference between the pt and pz models with the exception of the zoom capabilities.
blues93
Starting out

Post by blues93 »

Hello all,
new member (it's my 1st pot)
i'm looking for solution to get my Trendnet TV-IP121W working with my Qnap-TS110

i try to use "/video/mjpg.cgi?profileid=1" in http url, after selected generic Jpeg cam, without succes.

Anyway, thank you for all you tipps
Ciao, ciao
blues93
Starting out

Post by blues93 »

I find !!!
my TV-IP121W work well under my Qnap TS110
i suppose that TS210 will work well
thank you all

i have use "/cgi/mjpg/mjpeg.cgi"
under "Generic Jpeg" camera type
i suppose that TV-IP100 TV-IP110 and TV-IP210
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've find the solution in the post of "webgeek"

01-10-2010, 06:57 PM
Java code To view the real-time video feed
I don't know if this is of use to many people or not, but it took me some time to track down and some experimentation to make sure it worked so I figured I'd post it. The code linked in this specific post will work out of the gate with the Trendnet IP110w camera. It appears to support HTTP authentication as well if that's needed (mine was disabled). Here is the link:
http://forums.sun.com/thread.jspa?messa ... 30#4042430

Specifically, the MJPEGBean and MJPEGParser code is of interest. To use this code, just null out the username/password field and point the code at your MJPEG URL for the camera. The format (also something I had to track down) is this:
http://<camera IP>:<camera port>/cgi/mjpg/mjpeg.cgi

I've got it up and running now and it seems pretty solid. At the highest quality video, 640x480 frame rate hovers right around 29-31 and the lag is pretty low (wired into local network which is CAT 6 with a gig-e switch in the basement so I basically assume minimal network latency between machines). I didn't bother checking bandwidth usage, I'm sure it takes a stupid amount - MJPEG isn't know for being very efficient. As best I can tell, the camera occasionally puts out glitchy JPG headers (like two start of image headers in a row) which will make the code grumble but it will simply ignore that frame and continue with the next. I've only seen it do this once though so I'm not sure how much to read into it. If I see it happen more often I'll put together a patch to clean the header out.

I'll be tweaking the code as I go over time and if I run into anything major I'll let people know. It's not the prettiest code, but considering it works out of the gate it's a good starting point. Have fun!

-Mike
P.S. All credit goes to the original authors, Carl Gould and David E. Mireles on the Sun forums - I didn't write any of this!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
that extract from this trhead about Trendnet TV-IP110

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/archi ... -2745.html
SoMoney
Starting out

Post by SoMoney »

I was able to get those cheap 100US Outdoor Wireless FOSCAMS to work on the QNAP and it is NOT on the support cam list.
The only feature that I would like to see that doesn't work because of the non support is the ALARM / Snapshot feature.
My work around is to lower the fps on the camera to 15fps as not to take up to much space on my QNAP 419

SEE FOSCAM to QNAP INSTRUCTIONS HERE: http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=187&t=27993&p

Return to “Surveillance Solution”