Canary home surveillance

QVR Pro, QVR Pro Client, QVR Center and Surveillance Station
Mac-Man
New here

Canary home surveillance

Post by Mac-Man »

Hello,

Perhaps it's too early but will QNAP support the Canary home surveillance webcams? I would like to use the HS-210 to backup video and stills

Many thanks in advance,
Mac Man
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

Re: Canary home surveillance

Post by AlastairStevenson »

Do you have one? Or have you been seduced by the slick marketing?
I haven't been able to find any 'under the covers' tech data - but it looks a little bit like a closed proprietary multi-sensor system, unless you know differently.
If it supports de-facto standards like those for streaming video (eg RTSP) and surveillance / monitoring systems (eg ONVIF) with flexible event actions then SS Pro might just connect to it.
But I'm guessing.
TS-431+ for storage and media and a bunch of IP cams under Surveillance Station. TVS-473 as files backup and QVR Pro.
Mac-Man
New here

Post by Mac-Man »

Hello Alastair,

Not yet, I do have them placed on order. I liked the idea they didn't look like cameras so it's possible to place them on full view with most people not giving them another thought. I know they connect wirelessly to the router (saves messing about with cables) and it's possible to view in real time whilst away from home, yet there is little information about where it saves recordings and images and what format. I have assumed it is a “de facto” format to fit in with the current market rather than some daft propriety format that no one supports.

I have two Qnap NAS, the HS-210 for the surveillance, and a TS-670 Pro for home use and general storage.

Mac Man
cotten
Getting the hang of things

Post by cotten »

BUMP,

I just got the canary and the Flex, wondering if anyone are using these camera, and Nas for storage?
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Mac-Man wrote:...and it's possible to view in real time whilst away from home, yet there is little information about where it saves recordings and images and what format.
A wild guess, in an unknown cloud where you have no control over the images captured from your home. The format should be the least of your worries... :roll:

From an integrity perspective, that's kind of the exact opposite of why you'd want suppport for Qnap Surveillance Station on your own NAS inside your own network.

I've used surveillance cameras since 2007 and have carefully avoided, or at least disabled anything cloud-based, but then again I care about the integrity of my family.

If you need to "...view in real time whilst away from home..." then deploy VPN on your router/firewall and clients for remote access. That's reasonably safe, so that's what I do.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

@P3R that thread is from 2014, was just hijacked
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

Post by AlastairStevenson »

True, but it's still a valid and useful comment, and the 'cloud-based systems' on offer are increasing in number.
TS-431+ for storage and media and a bunch of IP cams under Surveillance Station. TVS-473 as files backup and QVR Pro.

Return to “Surveillance Solution”