Mount ISO for installing Windows 10 on client PC's

Windows Access Rights Management
sjwestra
Getting the hang of things

Mount ISO for installing Windows 10 on client PC's

Post by sjwestra » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:19 pm

Hello,

This morning I discovered the ISO file size of the Windows 10 v20H2 installation disk is bigger than 4.7 GB, so I can't burn the installation ISO to a DVD anymore.

Therefore I would like to store the ISO file on my TS-253A in order to install Windows 10 on my client PC's.

Does anyone know what I should do to boot a client PC from the ISO file that is stored on my NAS?

Thanks in advance,

SJW

dolbyman
Guru

Re: Mount ISO for installing Windows 10 on client PC's

Post by dolbyman » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:15 pm

viewtopic.php?t=148136

I would just put the iso on a stick, the media creation tool has this as an option

sjwestra

Post by sjwestra » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:23 pm

Hi Dolbyman,

Thanks and I know.

We have several PC's and each of them needs a dedicated ISO (because the product key is embedded in the ISO). Therefore, I thought it would be practical to have these ISO files on a central place on my NAS and update them every half year.

If you think it's cumbersome to install Windows 10 from a mounted ISO, I will buy some new USB-sticks indeed...

Thanks again,

SJW

dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:26 pm

besides network boot, there is no network bootable environment loaded at boot, so how do you want to access your iso?

sjwestra

Post by sjwestra » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:36 pm

Well, most BIOS configurations of client PC's allow 'boot from network', so I was hoping my NAS was able to share the ISO installation file with the network. And then boot my PC from the network. However, I absolutely don't know how the BIOS will support the ability to select a network share when I 'boot from network'. A scenario like the one that is described on the following site: https://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-ins ... -computers

I was hoping my QNAP could act like the client PC that runs a third party tool (Serva) in this scenario.

On the other hand, booting and installing from USB might be more straight forward indeed, so I already ordered some new USB sticks :-)

Kind regards,

SJW

dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:21 pm

boot from network, is pxe boot ..as mentioned in my linked post

sjwestra

Post by sjwestra » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:47 pm

Ah, thanks, I did not follow the link yet...

Just read your post about ‘PXE on docker’ and I think I stick to the USB plan as you suggested. I want to avoid dependencies on third party tools if not really needed.

Thanks!

SJW

Return to “Windows”