One of my user accounts fails to login to SMB. All others are fine.

Windows Access Rights Management
scottdk
Starting out

One of my user accounts fails to login to SMB. All others are fine.

Post by scottdk »

One of my QNAP logins cannot authenticate via SMB. All others are fine. What could possibly be different?

I connect network drives from Windows 10 with user1windows with no issues. Any other user works. (All have Microsoft Networking enabled in Application Privileges.)

A year ago I created a new user user2docker for playing with Docker. I loved it so much that since then my NAS is pretty much used exclusively as a SMB Fileshare, and a Docker Host.

I tried to map my Network Shared Drives using user2docker but the login always fails.

I have enabled SMB (Windows) in the System Connection Logs. All I see is Login Fail in those logs, exactly the same as when the username/password is entered incorrectly for another user. The credentials ARE correct. I copy and paste from a password manager to ssh or the QTS web GUI with no problem, but it fails with SMB. Microsoft Networking is enabled for the user.

It's not an issue with Windows Credential Manager etc. I'm now testing from linux (WSL2) using smbclient.

Code: Select all

root@mypc:~# smbclient -U user1windows '\\192.168.0.1\Public'
Enter WORKGROUP\user1windows's password:
Try "help" to get a list of possible commands.
smb: \> quit

root@mypc:~# smbclient -U user2docker '\\192.168.0.1\Public'
Enter WORKGROUP\user2docker's password:
session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

root@mypc:~# smbclient -U newuser '\\192.168.0.1\Public'
Enter WORKGROUP\newuser 's password:

root@mypc:~# smbclient -U olduser '\\192.168.0.1\Public'
Enter WORKGROUP\olduser's password:
I now want to authenticate all my Windows shared drives with user2docker because I often edit my docker scripts in Windows and sometimes some Docker container or other will create a file that does not give permissions to user1windows (-rw-------) so I have to go in and chown or chmod a file in order to access in from Windows. Other times, I'm debugging a container, and I need to make sure that all files have the correct uid/gid, so again, I'd like my Windows editor to use the same combination.

What could be causing this?
TS-870 Pro
QTS 4.3.6.1965 (2022/03/02)
CPU upgraded to i7-3770S
16GB Ram
QNAP 10GbE NIC (QM2-2P10G1T)
5 x HGST 4TB 7200RPM Deskstar NAS
2 x Seagate Ironwolf Pro 4TB
1 x WD RED 4TB (spare)
(RAID 6)

Return to “Windows”