RO access to root of share, RW access to subfolder?

Windows Access Rights Management
Boullie
New here

RO access to root of share, RW access to subfolder?

Post by Boullie »

Hello all

I'm trying to create user folders on my Windows 2022 domain joined QNAP TVS-1282T.
"Enable Advanced Folder Permissions" is selected.

What I did was:
1) Create a shared folder called "USERS" and grant the domain group "Domain Users" RO access to this share ("Domain Administrators" has full permissions).
2) I created subfolders "USERNAME1", "USERNAME2", etc.
3) Granted each domain user permissions to his/her respective folder.
Unfortunately, only the domain admins have RW access to the respective folders. The users only have RO access, even though permissions show .

I don't have permission issues on any of my other shared folders, however there the permissions are all granted to groups, not to specific user accounts.
Tried creating a new shared drive ("HOMES") and applied the same steps, issue is identical.
Tried enabling (and disabling) Windows ACL support, no change in behavior.

Anyone have an idea what might be causing this?
Huan Dang
New here

Re: RO access to root of share, RW access to subfolder?

Post by Huan Dang »

My NAS just automatically creates a sub-folder ( in folder "homes") for each domain user when they connect to the NAS the first time. So I wonder why do you have to create the subfolders yourself?
imtcoman
First post

Post by imtcoman »

Hi Everyone,
I have same issue, i am using Advanced Forder Permission and Windows 2022 AD Domain. I joined QNAP NAS with Windows AD Domain
Whatever root folder permission only applicable for subfolders, if we set different permission to subfolders then its not working.
I set root folder permission as RO for 2 AD groups and created 2 subfolders and assign each group to each subfolder and assign RW permission for the group
but RW permission not working for sub folders.

my QNAP having Current firmware version:QTS 5.0.1.2173

Any Suggestion would be much appreciated
christophe_y2k
New here

Post by christophe_y2k »

Huan Dang wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:01 pm My NAS just automatically creates a sub-folder ( in folder "homes") for each domain user when they connect to the NAS the first time. So I wonder why do you have to create the subfolders yourself?
yes but users can access to all "/home" sub folder in /homes/ via web interface of qnap with user login ... it's a big secure issue for me.
if /homes right R/W is set

but if not (R/W disable for /homes) smb user in windows can't access to /home user folder....

Return to “Windows”