How to move folders

Windows Access Rights Management
WonderWoman
Starting out

How to move folders

Post by WonderWoman »

Hello,

I have a TS932-PX that is configured with 2 x Seagate 16TB Ironwolf NAS drives that I intentionally set to RAID 0 and also have 2 x external USB Seagate drives 8TB & 10TB. I am on Windows 10 Pro. This is my first NAS setup and I just completed tech school to upgrade my networking skills so I am still feeling a bit lost in all of this. I have a few questions about folder and file management.
  • I understand that there are default folders automatically built by the system, can someone please tell me what their names are? I have created a few folders myself and now I cannot tell which is a default folder and which I created.

Can the default folders be moved to be nested into other folders?

How do you move folders on the NAS? I found this old article from QNAP but I think it might be obsolete. https://docs.qnap.com/operating-system/ ... 45598.html

I found an option to "migrate a folder to another volume but it is telling me that there's not enough room and wants to convert the volume from thin to thick. I don't understand this, the drives are practically empty.
    Folder Migration.jpg
Those are my questions for now. Thank you for the assistance. I look forward to the replies.

Sincerely,

Wonder Woman
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dosborne
Experience counts

Re: How to move folders

Post by dosborne »

Migration is not what you want.

Don't mess with system folders, leave them and anything system related where it is.

Go to control panel -privilege - shared folders to manage them (I forget what the defaults are, I think public, homes,...)
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]
WonderWoman
Starting out

Post by WonderWoman »

I would like to put all of the folders I personally created (and any contents) into a single master shared folder so I can make use of the new feature in the beta firmware release of 5.0.1.2079 which works with the Windows search functionality and it's mandatory disk indexing. How can I move all the files into the folder I just created for this purpose? Do I manually specify a path for each folder or is there some other method? The first pic is the properties box for a shared folder showing where I am referring to setting a path. The second pic is the main shared folder section of the control panel showing all of my folders with the highlighted folder being the one I want to move all of my folders into and the check marked ones being the ones I want to move into it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

just move all share contents via file station..make sure you have backups, as the move function can be wonky
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

Hm...intentionally set to raid0?
So the external USB drives are for backup? If not, consider about a backup solution, raid0 -> one disk fails -> data is lost!

Regards

Edit: Names for additional default folders (beside homes&Public): Multimedia, Web (if Webserver is enabled).
WonderWoman
Starting out

Post by WonderWoman »

The drives are brand new, I plan on adding more later and I most probably will do something with the 2 external drives once I finish migrating all my data around. Now, to the original question, "just move all share contents via file station"......mmmmm.....ok, how do you do that? You cannot copy and paste and you cannot drag and drop in file station.
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

Sure you can copy/move in file station!
As far as I remember select the files/folders, rightclick and choose the option.
I did this several times.

Regards

Return to “Windows”