Network or file permission error.

Windows Access Rights Management
mbutler@marxware.com
New here

Network or file permission error.

Post by mbutler@marxware.com »

The full message on a Windows 11 machine is: There has been a network or file permission error. The network connection may be lost. (Z:\Year1\Name.docx)

I can open the files but cannot save them. I look at file properties on the windows machine and they are marked read only. I tried using windows "File Explorer" to open the file from the network instead of the shared drive and have the same error.

I installed the QNAP TS-231P3-4G about a month ago. Created the file structure and shares. Went to each user and gave them full permissions to the shares they have access to. I then mapped the drives on their machines using Qfinder. I then copied the files using their machines to the NAS. All was working fine for weeks. Now last week the above message starting to pop up for all users. I updated the NAS at installation before copying files and have not done a update since.

Anyone have a clue why it stopped working? How do I fix it? I saw a similar post which said to remove the shares and then define them again. Is this the answer and if so how often do I need to do this?

TIA Mark
dosborne
Experience counts

Re: Network or file permission error.

Post by dosborne »

What specific firmware version are you running? Since it was working, have you tried a shutdown and restart?
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]
mbutler@marxware.com
New here

Re: Network or file permission error.

Post by mbutler@marxware.com »

A reboot did not resolve the issue. Updated the firmware to the latest and no luck either. Saw a warning that the snapshot space was filled. Reconfigured the storage and everything went back to normal.

Return to “Windows”