Deny Shared Folder Access to Guests not working for me

Windows Access Rights Management
bryankerr1986
New here

Deny Shared Folder Access to Guests not working for me

Post by bryankerr1986 »

Hello,

I'm a new NAS home owner of the 453D. I'm having unwanted access to a shared folder.

After navigating to ControlPanel -> Shared Folders -> Edit Shared Folder Permission:

Under the tab 'Users and groups permission' Read/Write access is granted to my NAS User. However 'Guest Access Right:' is set to 'Deny access'.

So why can I still able to connect to the shared folder in windows without username/password? I thought denying access to guest should prevent this?

How can I deny access to this folder without username/password?

Thanks!
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Deny Shared Folder Access to Guests not working for me

Post by dolbyman »

did you try user/guest access from a different machine ? (to make sure it's not using existing/stored credentials)

None of my NAS are setup for guest access and always prompt for username and password
bryankerr1986
New here

Post by bryankerr1986 »

dolbyman wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:15 am did you try user/guest access from a different machine ? (to make sure it's not using existing/stored credentials)

None of my NAS are setup for guest access and always prompt for username and password
I just tried to access the folder on another computer and it prompted for username/password.

So where are these existing/stored credentials located? Whenever I try to login to the NAS from my web browser it always asks for me to type in username/password. I prefer it's always prompted.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

bryankerr1986
New here

Post by bryankerr1986 »

dolbyman wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:46 am check here
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 16e8165ac0
I did not see any credentials there. But I noticed after logging out/into windows I needed to retype my username/password.

So I guess, after logging in, once you type in your password to a mapped network drive, then you're granted access somehow until you log out.

I prefer to type my password everytime I open the folder, but I guess this is not possible...
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Well, windows will try the logged in users credentials by default, so if the logged in user has permissions on the share, then there will be no prompt

Return to “Windows”