Qnap not visible on network

Windows Access Rights Management
schumaku
Guru

Re: Qnap not visible on network

Post by schumaku »

cs96and wrote:
schumaku wrote:Strongly suggest to put SMB 3.0 protocol in place: Control Panel => Network Services => Win/Mac/NFS => Advanced Options => Highest SMB version = 3.0
I do not have a "Highest SMB version" option in my settings. I am on firmware 4.2.2 on a TS-119P II
Correct. The UI control is missing - and these older NS are still operating on SAMBA 3.6, so no SMB 3.0 available. QTS 4.3 will bring SAMBA 4.4 and SMB 3.0 - for some of the the Marvell Kirkwood models, not all will remain supported.
nssimpson
Getting the hang of things

Post by nssimpson »

We have the TS-212P and have had no issues with the server name appearing on my network until upgrading to 4.3.2.0050. (Have several Windows 10 PC's.) The DNS is still set to the router and all the other settings are unchanged.

When I change the server name it has appeared on my PC and was accessible briefly but then it disappeared without warning. I can access the folders via the IP address but not by the server name.

I think this is an issue with the latest beta firmware.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

nssimpson wrote:We have the TS-212P and have had no issues with the server name appearing on my network until upgrading to 4.3.2.0050.
All 4.3.2.0050 NAS (including MArvell Kirkwood TS-212) show up here on all WIn 10 (and macOS) reliably.
nssimpson wrote:The DNS is still set to the router and all the other settings are unchanged.
DNS is not in the play here at all. Double check all clients, the router, and the NAS subnet mask/broadcast mask, ie. # ifconfig ...
nssimpson wrote:When I change the server name it has appeared on my PC and was accessible briefly but then it disappeared without warning. I can access the folders via the IP address but not by the server name.
This does taste like some issues with other devices/systems on the (W)LAN participating in the NetBIOS master browser election which are denied or overridden. Any consumer router with SMB sharing on the LAN?
nssimpson

Post by nssimpson »

Hi schumaku, sorry for the late reply.

We only have this one NAS on the LAN and we use a VM SuperHub2 with no SMB sharing set. Everything worked fine until updating the firmware.

I have also noticed that the NAS seems to be running at 100% CPU most of the time even though it's not slow or anything. Just very odd.
nssimpson

Post by nssimpson »

Interestingly I disabled file service for MS Networking and the re-enabled it. Server Name reappeared so I rebooted it, which is when seems to then not re-appear.

It did re-appear though and currently is still visible. I'll let you know if this is the case tomorrow but so far so good.

UPDATE: Didn't work. It's now inaccessible via the server name.
aarbee
Easy as a breeze

Post by aarbee »

Can you ping the machine?
Put the same ip-adres in all computers/nas? Like 192.168.1.10 (This last number should vary per device. All the other numbers should be equal)
Everywhere the same Subnetmask? Like 255.255.255.0.
Everywhere the same DNS and/or Gateway, like 192.168.1.254 (should be equal to the other devices. Except again for the last number).

Perhaps you have a router or switch with vlan's?
Friendly Greetings,

RobB

Main NAS:
Model: TS-253D - 20200725
Boot:- Raid 1: 2x 1 TB m.2 WD Red
Disks - 6TB WD Red, 350GB WD blue 2.5"

BACKUP NAS (On 2 hours a day due to Electricity costs)
Model: TvS-673 40GB (2*32+2*4) - 20170215
Boot:-Raid 1: 2x Crucial M.2 275GB 2x
Disks Raid 1:-3.5" 2x Toshiba 10 TB
UPS: Back-UPS Pro BR900G-GR
---

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Media Boxe: Nvidia ShieldTV Pro
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ED000
New here

Post by ED000 »

Hi,
I am not an expert on networking and all the Nas, fixed ip and subnet settings, but did read a lot about it the last few days to see how to fix my problem..
Reason is since fw update to 4.2.3 I cannnot find the QNAP TS-453a anymore as a share via Plex and Infuse app on my Apple TV 4. Very frustrating, as I used the plex server to play my media, movies.
After reset of cable router, time capsule, ATV, QNAP a couple of times, I cannot find the share anymore. (QNAP)

Strange is, via QNAP media app, I can find the movies, the iP has changed of the QNAP, but still strange that infuse cannot find the share.

Any help is appreciated. Not had this problem with 4.2.2 fw.
kherr4377
Been there, done that

Post by kherr4377 »

i had the same issue with the 'Q's not showing up along with mapped drives disappearing. i updated my router firmware (zyxel usg40) and reset it. problem solved ...
Production :
TVS-673 4.3.4 0387
4 X 3TB WD RED : 1 X 4TB HGST DESKSTAR R5
32GB
LAN-10G1SR-D, FiberHal for Cisco SFP-10G-SR
NETGEAR ProSAFE SS3300-28X

Backup :
TS-469L 4.3.4 0387
4 X 3TB WD RED R5
3GB
Located detached garage .. cheap offsite solution ...

2nd TS-469L awaiting drives and reassignment for front-line duty .......
nssimpson

Post by nssimpson »

Sorry for the delay answering...

I can ping our TS-212P NAS and can access it via the IP address. Very annoying doing it this way because Microsoft thinks it's an unsafe location.
Everything on same Subnet, DNS and gateway set correctly.

My Superhub has been reset (and is on the latest FW) but that makes no difference. The device name is missing within the Superhub.

When I change the Server Name on the NAS my Superhub initially receives it and it appears on the network. However, once the NAS has turned off in the evening and wakes up in the morning it's then not accessible via the Server Name anymore.

QNAP are going to take a look further into this for me. I get the impression that this isn't an isolated issue.
nssimpson

Post by nssimpson »

A nice chap from QNAP used TeamViewer to have a look. All settings correct so all he could think of was to try using DHCP assigned rather than static IP. Did that and it reappeared as expected. Rebooted and it was still there. Shutdown NAS, rebooted and the Server Name is no longer visible. Waiting for QNAP to come back to me.

Can people using the TS-212P on 4.3.3 please try shutting their NAS down and rebooting? I want to know if theirs is still accessible via Server Name.

Thanks

Nick
Mark Morgan
New here

Post by Mark Morgan »

I have been suffering with the same annoying problem. 2 NAS's , TS412 and TS212, and both ramdomly will be available or not available on my Win10 and Win7 systems. Nothing logical about it. I have checked all the setting mentioned in above discussion with no improvement. Wonder if anyone has discovered the problem.
nssimpson

Post by nssimpson »

My TS-212P is still playing up even after all the recent 4.3.3 firmware updates. QNAP are now saying that because it's in Beta they can't fix the issue. However, today it looks like the first non-Beta update has been provided. Updated and Server Name disappeared after reboot. Now awaiting QNAP's response.

(I've asked QNAP several times to see if other users are reporting the same. Each time they fail to directly answer this question so fingers crossed that they will this time.)
kherr4377
Been there, done that

Post by kherr4377 »

i had issues with both of my boxes, tried everything and then bit the bullet. i reset (not reboot) my router (zyxel usg40) and everything has been good since. except for reserved dhcp, my router was at defaults.
Production :
TVS-673 4.3.4 0387
4 X 3TB WD RED : 1 X 4TB HGST DESKSTAR R5
32GB
LAN-10G1SR-D, FiberHal for Cisco SFP-10G-SR
NETGEAR ProSAFE SS3300-28X

Backup :
TS-469L 4.3.4 0387
4 X 3TB WD RED R5
3GB
Located detached garage .. cheap offsite solution ...

2nd TS-469L awaiting drives and reassignment for front-line duty .......
Noeternity
Starting out

Post by Noeternity »

For me this issue occurred after the update from 4.2.x to 4.3.3.0154 Build 20170413 final version on a TS-453mini. I got aware of the issue when my Win 10 1703 PC told me, that the backup connection was missing for too long. This used the Server Name.

NAS has a dedicated IP, is in the same workgroup as my PC, same DNS server (had to reset it from google 8.8.8.8 to my local router). Before the update I could reach my NAS by name and by IP, now only by IP.

Interestingly it appears on the Win 10 Network page below multimedia with its name and below storage with its name. Very annoying... :roll:
TS-453 Mini
pavel_b
New here

Post by pavel_b »

TS-112 and I'm not seeing neither of the SMB/AFP shared folders

[/share/Public] # /etc/init.d/smb.sh restart
Restarting SMB services:
Shutting down SMB services: smbd nmbd.
/etc/init.d/winbind: line 7: /usr/local/samba/sbin/winbindd: No such file or directory
Shutting down winbindd services: winbindd.
done.

Seems like something really screwed up has happened in the latest FW upgrade.

[/share/Public] # ls /usr/local/ -la
drwxr-xr-x 11 admin administ 4096 Apr 30 17:32 ./
drwxr-xr-x 10 admin administ 4096 Apr 30 17:39 ../
drwxr-xr-x 2 admin administ 4096 Apr 13 09:38 amazons3/
drwxr-xr-x 2 admin administ 4096 Apr 30 18:25 bin/
drwxr-xr-x 5 admin administ 4096 Apr 13 09:08 etc/
drwxr-xr-x 3 admin administ 4096 Apr 13 09:39 fs/
drwxr-xr-x 3 admin administ 4096 Apr 30 18:25 lib/
drwxr-xr-x 2 admin administ 4096 Apr 13 09:51 modules/
lrwxrwxrwx 1 admin administ 34 Apr 30 17:32 mysql -> /share/HDA_DATA/.qpkg/qmysql/mysql/
drwxr-xr-x 3 admin administ 4096 Apr 30 18:00 sbin/
drwxr-xr-x 2 admin administ 4096 Apr 13 08:58 share/
drwxr-xr-x 7 admin administ 4096 Apr 13 09:08 ups/

Samba folder to which the winbind points in Samba folder is just completely gone. Any ideas what to do with this mess?

Thanks

Return to “Windows”