File Sharing Permissions and Log in Credentials

Windows Access Rights Management
adrian007uk
New here

File Sharing Permissions and Log in Credentials

Post by adrian007uk »

Hello!

Sorry if this message is duplicated. I posted this question yesterday but it did not show up in the forum for some reason!.

I was wondering if somebody could help answer my question(s) with regard to users, folders and permissions.

I am using Windows 10 pro.

When I first started using my NAS, I created a folder to store my iTunes library and another folder for my photos. I experienced problems where when I mounted the two folders (using Qfinder) on some instances when starting Windows the shares would be unavailable. Windows would state that the same instance of the user and password already exists so access was denied. A restart of the machine would resolve the issue – whilst annoying would fix the problem. I have learnt that I should put these folders in the NAS media folder which I am in the process of doing.

On doing some research I think the problem may have been caused as I have an administrator account (for administrative stuff) on my PC and my standard user account. As I have only the admin account set up in the NAS this may have caused this error. I am in the process of having my NAS admin account matching my admin account on the PC. I am then going to add myself to the NAS to match my PC log in. The questions that I have is that I also have a laptop running Windows 10 pro that has the same user name as my standard user account on my PC – therefore,

1) do I need to use the same password?
2) if not, do I need to add two instances of my username to the NAS with the two different passwords?
3) if the username and password of a user in the NAS has to match the username and password on the PC how does this work if you sign in to the PC and Laptop with a Microsoft outlook account and a pin?

Thanks

Adrian
schumaku
Guru

Re: File Sharing Permissions and Log in Credentials

Post by schumaku »

Hello Adrian,
adrian007uk wrote:Sorry if this message is duplicated. I posted this question yesterday but it did not show up in the forum for some reason!.
First posts require verification and moderation (no clue why the second post can be placed subsequently without any limitation...)
adrian007uk wrote:1) do I need to use the same password?
This was answered hundreds of times in the forum ... in a Windows work group environment, use the same credentials (username and password). this is not because of QNPA, this is because of how Microsoft has defined implemented is some 23 years ago already. If there is the same username on the NAS as used for the desktop login, but the password does not match, the authentication fails - if you security with network access prevention, your IP will be blocked after some attempts.
adrian007uk wrote:On doing some research I think the problem may have been caused as I have an administrator account (for administrative stuff) on my PC and my standard user account.
Unless you have set-up extremely strict settings and policies on the Windows machine, this should not be required. But yes, you can make your computer life hard of you want.
adrian007uk wrote:2) if not, do I need to add two instances of my username to the NAS with the two different passwords?
Depends on when and how you what to access he NAS shared folders. If you insist having to have multiple identities, you need to set-up the same identities on the NAS - permitting you want NAS access for all identities. On the NAS, you might want to define a groups of users (identities) with similar access rights and manage the NAS shared folder access based on these.
adrian007uk wrote:3) if the username and password of a user in the NAS has to match the username and password on the PC how does this work if you sign in to the PC and Laptop with a Microsoft outlook account and a pin?
The Windows 10 PIN does just unlock your account on the Windows system - instead of having to type the password. The account itself has still a password, the password can (and must) be maintained. The idea of the PIN is to about to hide a routinely usage of the password used to get access to other resources, ie. the NAS ...or to access a shared folder on your Windows 10 system.

For most users, the explanation of the password used on login is easier to understand the explaining the exact technical implementation, and what is happening under the hood.

Regards,
-Kurt.
shahabgha
First post

Post by shahabgha »

hello

how can i find wich user copy or access to wich files ??
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

* topic locked to prevent further necroposting *

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Windows”