QSync - how to set it up the right way

Windows Access Rights Management
KamalinO
Starting out

QSync - how to set it up the right way

Post by KamalinO »

Hello everyone.

I bought a TS-251 NAS , with two 3TB NAS RED drives set as RAID 1.
I'm running the latest firmware 4.2.2

I'm trying to setup QSYNC for various users, and after reading the manual and watching the Webinar, I'm still wondering what's the best way to sync the files the way I see it.

My intention was to sync files through these devies:
- backup sync Documents, Pictures and Lightroom library from main laptop (Windows 10)
- 2-way sync various files from my work tablet PC (Windows 10)
- backup essential files from my Samsung Note 4 smartphone (Android Marshmallow 6.0) - I plan to use an app called Foldersync using SMB protocol to do a weekly backup.

What I'm trying to do is setup a main root folder per each user, say USER1 folder, and inside it add more subfolders that sync with different folders on Windows 10 which are NOT inside the Qsync folder. I really don't want to move or copy the files to the QSync folder, as some programs rely on the specific location as Lightroom library.

The problem is that when I set up the shared folder (USER1), and try to add it to the windows Qsync client, I can that only once, and I can't repeat the process for another subfolder in the main USER1 root folder.

What do you suggest? Do I HAVE TO set up various shared folders through the NAS itself in order to be able to share various folders outside the Qsync folder?
This would create a real mess in the NAS shared folder interface, as I'm planning to do this procedure for various users.

Looking forward to hearing from the experienced users :)
QNAP TS-251 8GB RAM
2X 3TB WD RED WD30EFRX set as RAID 1
FW: QTS 4.5.1.1495
storageman
Ask me anything

Re: QSync - how to set it up the right way

Post by storageman »

Do you need to use "Selective Synchronization: Select only subfolders of the NAS folder to sync with PCs. This is useful when the size of the NAS folder is larger than the storage capacity of the PC."

Then separately add the subfolder(s) excluded of the USER1 folder to a different folder on the PC.
KamalinO
Starting out

Post by KamalinO »

storageman wrote:Do you need to use "Selective Synchronization: Select only subfolders of the NAS folder to sync with PCs. This is useful when the size of the NAS folder is larger than the storage capacity of the PC."

Then separately add the subfolder(s) excluded of the USER1 folder to a different folder on the PC.
I tried that, but it works only once for a single shared folder on the NAS. When I try to repeat the process in order to share another folder inside the USER1 folder on the NAS to another folder on my PC, the QSync programs requests to configure more shared folders through the NAS itself.
QNAP TS-251 8GB RAM
KamalinO
Starting out

Post by KamalinO »

Any more ideas on how I can achieve this?

To make it clear, I'll give a detailed example of what I'm trying to achieve:

The NAS will be various users, each user will be assigned a separate main folder on the NAS.
My folder will be named Kamal, and inside the Kamal folder I want to sync various folders on my PC, for example:

C:\My Pictures\
C:\My Documents\
C:\My Music\
C:\Dropbox\

I'd like to sync all these separate folders on the same Kamal folder on the NAS, without creating separate shared folders on the NAS.

I attached a screenshot of the problem I'm facing. I first created a a share of a folder inside the Kamal folder on the Nas and selected a test folder on my PC to be synced, but when I try to add another share for syncing another folder inside the Kamal folder using selective Sync, I get the error shown in the screenshot:
"The shared folders on the NAS are paired with the folders on your device. Click here to configure other folders for synchronization".
qsync.jpg
Any idea for a possible solution or workaround?

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
QNAP TS-251 8GB RAM
EDIflyer
Starting out

Post by EDIflyer »

Did anyone find a solution for this? Would be great to selectively sync different sub-folders on the NAS to different local folders (e.g. /Multimedia/Photos to D:\Pictures, /Multimedia/Music to D:\Music, etc.) At present I've just had to create new shares for each one which is a bit of a pain but leaves a new top-level folder visible on the NAS.
silverfoxdj
New here

Post by silverfoxdj »

I'd like to know as well..
mydjtl
Getting the hang of things

Post by mydjtl »

i want to use qsync on android but change destination folder from qsync/mobile and instead sync my entire qsync root folder... Can it be changed?
TS-251+
(2) Seagate IronWolf 12TB 7200 RPM 256MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drives
8gb RAM in one slot. 4.3.3
Firmware as of 3/8/2020: 4.4.1.1216 (2/14/2020)

Return to “Windows”