Can't map NAS and Qfinder can't find

Windows Access Rights Management
Harpuder
First post

Can't map NAS and Qfinder can't find

Post by Harpuder »

I have a QNAP TS-451+ running on my network. Up until yesterday, I had no issues, but then all of a sudden I could no longer map to the drive. I am still able to see the NAS via my phone apps and another computer in the house continues to have the drives mapped to it. Q Finder Pro will not find the drive on my network. I did not make any setting changes on the computer including to the firewall. I took down the firewall after and was able to map once. Then when I turned it off a second time, I was again not able to map the drive. QFinder Pro is also unable to find the drive on the network. Also of interest when I try to go thru my QNAP cloud through a web interface on that computer, it seems to just time out. I have gone back and added the IP address of the NAS as a trusted location in my firewall, still no joy. I am using Norton 360 as my firewall app on a Windows 10 computer. I did adjust the default port for port forwarding. I am pretty much at a loss as to how all of a sudden I could lose the map of the drive but given everything else is connecting to the NAS, I have to assume it is some random setting in my firewall that I have not yet identified. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
rpfleging
Starting out

Re: Can't map NAS and Qfinder can't find

Post by rpfleging »

I'm in the same position. For months my TS-451+ had a drive mapped from a Windows 7 machine with no issues. Recently the server shows up in Windows Explorer under network but I can not map it or even navigate to it by clicking on it's name. The same problem existing on a windows 8 machine. I have read and tried everything I can. If you solved this issue please post it here.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

try the ip of the nas instead of the name
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Both Qfinder and the NetBIOS name resolution (making the blue PC icon visible in the Explorer network section, and allowing name -> IP address resolution in a work group) are based on Broadcast. If there is a firewall software on the Windows (wor whatever) system, if there are some more or less sophisticated power line or wireless based network extenders, things can be blocked.

With a properly Windows integrated 3rd party firewall, accessing the \\[IP-address]\ in Explorer would change the network profile, and change the services active.

With the otherwise known working NAS on other systems - you might check if the NAS security has blocked the other computer IP address - not visible in both Qfinder and as a server ... and the disabled firewall it's working ... there you go to search....

Not a secret: I'm not a friend of this kind of Winodws "Internet Security" security and even less firewall software. Windows 10 does come out of the box with sufficient firewalling and AV capabilities - and we know it's not killing other functionality.

Ref. the me-too post: So you have other systems on the network which are still workable, make use of Norton 360, and it works with the firewall disabled, and it can be discovered by Qfinder from other systems? That would be about the "same". Otherwise, you NAS might be disconnected form the network, down, broken to start with ...
razormoon
Easy as a breeze

Post by razormoon »

Happened to me when I used to use the NAS security. I would have to log in using my DDNS address and remove the local IP from the block list.
:!: TVS-871-i7-16G 5.0.0.1932 Build 20220129, KODI, WSE 2019
:?: 1 x KINGSTON SNV325S2 as 2mb block cache, WDC WD40EFRX as RAID5, 1 x WDC WD40EFRX as iSCSI
:idea: APC PRO 1500 S
:-0 WIKI SUPPORT

"Nothing is impossible. Only expensive, illegal or both."
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

razormoon wrote:Happened to me when I used to use the NAS security. I would have to log in using my DDNS address and remove the local IP from the block list.
Unless I'm very wrong: Evne from a locked-out IP address, the Qfinder discovery (and prolly more) continues to work.

In general: Don't configure more security than you can deal with. Enabling Network Access Protection for SAMBA and/or AFP will almost certainly lock-out IP addresses.

Similar, a to restrictive "Security Level" ... "Allow Connections from the List Only" might block everything, too.
razormoon
Easy as a breeze

Post by razormoon »

Indeed, schumaku. I'm using a heavily configured pfSense setup so there is no need for the NAS feature. I have since disabled.

OK...so having my desktop local lan added to the ban list (I chose forever), I would forget that I had this turned on and would slowly lose my mind.
How come my VMs are working?? How come I can still access externally??
Signing in on web browser would give me a timeout or DNS error (i can't remember), page can't be found, etc.
Of course I would quickly go to Qfinder and that would return device not found errors. I would even go into snort and dhcp! haha
I can say that in NAS security options I chose all protocols and set them all to ban.
Nothing will be acknowledged from 192...200.
I have my NAS bookmarked both locally (192...151) and externally (mynas.myddns.com:port/cgi-bin/) for testing purposes and things like this.
The external bookmark was how I would be able to sign on and remove from ban list.
And looking at the reason, it was always too many successive samba fails in which I never tried to solve as it was so rare.

Anyway, Qfinder discovery does not work on ban.
And I certainly hope this thread helps those driven mad because of this.
:!: TVS-871-i7-16G 5.0.0.1932 Build 20220129, KODI, WSE 2019
:?: 1 x KINGSTON SNV325S2 as 2mb block cache, WDC WD40EFRX as RAID5, 1 x WDC WD40EFRX as iSCSI
:idea: APC PRO 1500 S
:-0 WIKI SUPPORT

"Nothing is impossible. Only expensive, illegal or both."
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

razormoon wrote:How come my VMs are working?
Your VMs have their own IP stack (and interface) of course.
razormoon wrote:How come I can still access externally??
Depends. CloudLink? Your NAT device is set-up unlucky and the source is translated to the LAN IP? Bug?
razormoon wrote:The external bookmark was how I would be able to sign on and remove from ban list.
This might confirm the above NAT issue?
razormoon wrote:Anyway, Qfinder discovery does not work on ban.
Thank you for re-testing this ... :geek:

Return to “Windows”