Permissions Errors on Windows Shares

Windows Access Rights Management
mlynch1958
Starting out

Permissions Errors on Windows Shares

Post by mlynch1958 »

Hi,
I recently setup a TVS-473 with Firmware 4.3.1.0023 as a file server joined to my Windows domain. I was able to join it properly. I configured shares and was able to select Domain Users and gave them RW access. The users on the same subnet (this is a regional office. The DC is in the HQ) as the QNAP can map a drive to the shares, see the shares and the directories/files under the shares, but when they try to copy or save a file, they get Access Denied errors. Oddly, they seem to be able to copy very small documents. They have Windows 7 OS. In order to troubleshoot this, I:

1- Made sure the QNAP had the same time as the DC. It did not at first. I corrected that, but it did not solve the issue
2- Had the user reboot his machine. DId not solve issue
3- Had user delete and recreate mapped drive. Did not resolve issue.
Deleted and recreated Share on QNAP (retaining data, o f course). Did not solve issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Michael
Last edited by mlynch1958 on Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
storageman
Ask me anything

Re: Permissions Errors on Windows Shares

Post by storageman »

I will try to reconnect AD again first.
I assume with guest user enabled files save ok.
mlynch1958
Starting out

Post by mlynch1958 »

Not sure what you mean about the Guest user. I only use Domain Security.

Are you saying to delete and recreate the AD setup?
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Get in touch with the QNAP Customer Service please via https://helpdesk.qnap.com/
mlynch1958
Starting out

Post by mlynch1958 »

Schumaku, thanks for the reply. I did, but figured out the problem beforehand. I had created the shares and assigned permissions before adding anything into those directories. I then copied over a backup from the failed server (QNAP) to populate those directories. The users were having very quirky, inconsistent connection issues. They could map drives, see the directories, but were having random troubles saving to the directories. The fix was, I checked the Privilege>>>Shared Folders>>>Advanced Permissions "Enable Advanced Folder Permissions". Once that ran, which took a while, the issues disappeared. The QNAP technician was surprised, as was I. I assumed that the copied subfolders would inherit the permissions of those top-level shares. I assume that the "old" permissions on those subdirectories were causing the issues, since they were from the failed QNAP. Once they wqere overwritten, all wa good. QNAP needs to investigate this and make explicit that when you copy over material to chares, that you need to enable the Advanced Folder Permissions.

Return to “Windows”