Windows 10 mapping refuses correct credentials

Windows Access Rights Management
AnneW
Getting the hang of things

Windows 10 mapping refuses correct credentials

Post by AnneW »

I have been used to addressing my QNAS-TS412 through drives mapped with the format \\ip.address\sharename. Due to physical changes in my network I need to set this up again, but cannot get mapping to work. I can access the required NAS areas either as admin or as anne if I use the web interface, yet using the identical credentials, when I try to set up a mapping I'm told that access is denied.

After reading an older thread I disabled Windows Firewall, but it didn't help. What is stopping the credentials being accepted?
Spider99
Experience counts

Re: Windows 10 mapping refuses correct credentials

Post by Spider99 »

Hi

do you have the username on the nas the same as the username on the windows machine - must have same password as well

can you map drives with qfinder?
Tim

TS-853A(16GB): - 4.3.4.0483 - Static volume - Raid5 - 8 x 4TB HGST Deskstar NAS
Windows Server + StableBit Drivepool and Scanner ~115 TB Backup Server
TS-412 & TS-459 Pro II: Retired
Clients: 3 x Windows 10 Pro(64bit)
AnneW

Post by AnneW »

Hi, Tim.
do you have the username on the nas the same as the username on the windows machine - must have same password as wel
Yes, the username and password are correct, as is shown when I use them to connect via the web interface. The required files are all marked as being accessible by Everyone.
can you map drives with qfinder?
QFinder directs me to the same web interface, and login is accepted. I've not used QFinder before today. QFinder sees the NAS, but I don't see any way to set up a mapping from there.
AnneW

Post by AnneW »

While clicking on the NAS name in QFinder takes me to the web login, I note that clicking on Network Drives lists all the shared folders on the NAS, but again I am told that access is denied. There has to be something in the way that Windows Explorer accesses the network compared with the way that the web UI does.
Spider99
Experience counts

Post by Spider99 »

Are you sure the windows username and password are exactly the same as what you use for the nas - as what you describe is what happens when windows cannot auto authenticate against the NAS

In win explorer - do you see the NAS listed under network?

Does the nAs have the same workgroup name as the windows machine? - not vital but does make the nas more visible to the windows machine

Can you see all the shared folders of the NAS in explorer by typing \\nasname into the address bar?
Tim

AnneW

Post by AnneW »

Are you sure the windows username and password are exactly the same as what you use for the nas - as what you describe is what happens when windows cannot auto authenticate against the NAS
Yes, absolutely sure. I have tried with and without the "connect with different credentials.
In win explorer - do you see the NAS listed under network?
Yes, it's listed, but clicking on it shows only the media directories, the same as used by TwonkyMedia
Does the nAs have the same workgroup name as the windows machine? - not vital but does make the nas more visible to the windows machine
I've never used workgroup before, though I tried setting it up on this laptop today. The NAS doesn't have one set up - not even sure what is needed in Linux, but I never needed the workgroup when the mapping was working before, so I'd prefer not to have to use it, if possible.
Can you see all the shared folders of the NAS in explorer by typing \\nasname into the address bar?
Again, just the media directories. If, however, I try typing in 192.168.178.xxx the address bar changes to Network > 192.168.178.xxx and all the directories are listed.
Spider99
Experience counts

Post by Spider99 »

you said you changed your network setup - can you explain what changed
Tim

AnneW

Post by AnneW »

Only one thing changed. My router was giving me problems - I was getting very much slower speeds than I pay for., for instance. I replaced it with a FritzBox, at which point I had to decide whether to change the FritzBox ip or change my computers to match the new ip range. I chose to stay with the FritzBox default address range and change the computers. At this point everything works except for this network drive mapping. The reason that's important to me is that I run daily backups to and from the NAS, all depending on Backup4all recognising the drive mappings.
Spider99
Experience counts

Post by Spider99 »

Thought it might be something like that :)

To eliminate the obvious/easy stuff as a check
1) For each network port check that the "gateway" is set to the router ip - e.g. 192.168.178.1 or whatever the router ip is. Also check the subnet mask is correct 255.255.255.0 is the usual one and does this match the router?
2) Next go to Control Panel>network services>win/mac/nfs - make sure enable Microsoft Networking is checked. Put in a "service" description (name of NAS) put in the the Workgroup name you computers have - if you have not changed that on the pc's it will just be WORKGROUP - this will make sure the name of the NAs is resolved on the network so you dont need to use the address. On the same page look at what options are set in the Advanced Options tab - screen shot will do so i can see if you have anything odd set :)

Then save the changes and reboot the NAS - hopefully things will have changed so windows can see the nas and you can now map drives

If not then there are a few other things to check
Tim

AnneW

Post by AnneW »

For each network port check that the "gateway" is set to the router ip - e.g. 192.168.178.1 or whatever the router ip is. Also check the subnet mask is correct 255.255.255.0 is the usual one and does this match the router?
I carefully checked the router, then re-checked this laptop, where I was surprised to find the subnet mask set to 255.255.0.0. I reset it to 255.255.255.0 and rebooted. Now I can't even connect via the web interface. I have seen a variety of notifications that make little sense unless it's a case of timing: something starting too soon. This time it said "The remote device or resource won't accept the connection. Detected: The device or resource (192.168.178.xxx) is not set up to accept connections on port "8080". Out of curiosity I tried an https login, bypassing the certificate (I bought one before my accident and it never got installed - that's something else I must sort once this is working). This did allow me to login on the web page!
Next go to Control Panel>network services>win/mac/nfs - make sure enable Microsoft Networking is checked. Put in a "service" description (name of NAS) put in the the Workgroup name you computers have - if you have not changed that on the pc's it will just be WORKGROUP - this will make sure the name of the NAs is resolved on the network so you dont need to use the address.
That wasn't set up, but it is now.
On the same page look at what options are set in the Advanced Options tab - screen shot will do so i can see if you have anything odd set
Not worth a screenie - the only thing selected there was "Master Browser". I don't recall setting that manually, and I'm not sure of the implications.

I've rebooted (from the browser screen) but it's taking a suspiciously long time. I'll report back if it doesn't resolve itself.
AnneW

Post by AnneW »

Reboot eventually completed but still I can't authenticate either in Explorer drive mapping or QFinder drive mapping. Chrome did connect on port 8080, though and login worked perfectly. It's hard to know what's going on when things seem to change for the fun of it.
Spider99
Experience counts

Post by Spider99 »

Ok on the laptop do you have network discovery turned on?

Under windows features do you have
Capture4.JPG
smb 1.0 selected (so installed)

Master browser is fine leave as is

Reboot your router to clear out any odd stuff
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim

AnneW

Post by AnneW »

Ok on the laptop do you have network discovery turned on?
I don't know! On the Settings page it says Off, but attempting to turn it on just jumps back to Off. OTOH, in Advanced sharing settings Private Networks has network discovery On. Surely it could not be more confusing? :-(
Under windows features do you have smb 1.0 selected (so installed)
Yes.
Spider99
Experience counts

Post by Spider99 »

Capture.JPG
does it look like above?

with file and print sharing also checked?

if the above is correct then disable your firewall - windows or the one that comes with your AV - i installed a new AV on my server the other day and had to turn it off to see my NAS
If it is the problem then you need to adjust the rules to allow the nas to be seen
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim

AnneW

Post by AnneW »

Argh!!
"You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post."

Return to “Windows”