I need to see hidden system folders/file to customize Kodi

Windows Access Rights Management
Eloquintet
Starting out

I need to see hidden system folders/file to customize Kodi

Post by Eloquintet »

Hello,

I have Kodi installed on my TS-251 and am trying to do some customization which requires me to access files within the hidden ".Kodi" folder.

I first tried to access this folder via the Windows computer that is connected to my network (by using explorer or Qfinder) and all that I saw was my Shared folders.
After doing some research I saw someone saying that I should be able to use WinSCP in order to see hidden folders.
I believe that I have logged in correctly and selected the "Show hidden files" option but I still do not see the hidden files.
I'm not at home right now so can't elaborate on how I logged in but I followed some video tutorials and can see more folders than just my shares but not the hidden folders.

I also tried installing Putty but have no idea how to write Linux code and have no desire to learn how to in order to see my hidden files.

Is there a way that I can add this folder as a Shared folder so I don't have to use WinSCP or another program to access these folders/files?
I would ideally like to be able to see this folder in Windows Explorer/Qfinder.

This has been driving me INSANE so can someone PLEASE tell me how I can acheive this?
OneCD
Guru

Re: I need to see hidden system folders/file to customize Kodi

Post by OneCD »

Eloquintet wrote:I'm not at home right now so can't elaborate on how I logged in but I followed some video tutorials and can see more folders than just my shares but not the hidden folders.
That's a good start, but you need to be specific when asking for help. Please post back with the steps you've completed, and where you got to.
Eloquintet wrote:I also tried installing Putty but have no idea how to write Linux code and have no desire to learn how to in order to see my hidden files.
I see. That limits your options.
Eloquintet wrote:Is there a way that I can add this folder as a Shared folder so I don't have to use WinSCP or another program to access these folders/files?
No.
Eloquintet wrote:I would ideally like to be able to see this folder in Windows Explorer/Qfinder.
Hmm... also not possible and not recommended. Editing text files on Windows that are destined to be read on a Linux system requires some special software and knowledge of how to use it.
This has been driving me INSANE so can someone PLEASE tell me how I can acheive this?
You can either accept that you'll have to learn something new - or accept your insanity. :DD

Work slowly, take your time. It's not like running a Windows patch or regedit key where you can make a change without understanding how it works. With these systems, you have to learn as you go. The more you learn - the easier it gets. :geek:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Eloquintet
Starting out

Post by Eloquintet »

I basically just installed WinSCP and when I connected I put in my IP that I got from Qfinder as my host, then enetered my username and password and used SFTP as the file protocal and connected.
Then I went into options and checked show hidden files. The Kodi folder should appear under the Root folder but all I see is a Recycle folder there.
I am willing to learn some basic coding but from what I read I shouldn't have to, I should be able to browse to where I need to at that point from within WinSCP.
I have needed to place installation files within this folder to install stuff for Kodi or copy files from various subfolders within the Kodi folder for doing customization in the past.
Can you tell me if what I am trying to do is possible without coding in WinSCP?
or can you point me to a resource that would show me the syntax I need to acheive what I'm trying to do via coding?
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

I'm not able to assist as I kinda have my hands full, so hopefully, another forum member can suggest some ideas. ;)

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Spider99
Experience counts

Post by Spider99 »

your winscp should look like this
Capture.JPG
if the right pane does not show similar folders then use the navigation options to move to "/" which is the root folder on the nas
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim

TS-853A(16GB): - 4.3.4.0483 - Static volume - Raid5 - 8 x 4TB HGST Deskstar NAS
Windows Server + StableBit Drivepool and Scanner ~115 TB Backup Server
TS-412 & TS-459 Pro II: Retired
Clients: 3 x Windows 10 Pro(64bit)
Eloquintet
Starting out

Post by Eloquintet »

Thanks for replying Spider.
I believe that I do see the folders like in your image.
I know I can see the "Root" folder but once I click into it all that I see is a Recycled folder.
I cannot see the hidden folders within the root folder, specifically the one called ".kodi" where all of my Kodi specific files reside.

I know that it is in there because I can navigate to it from within Kodi.
The problem is I cannot copy files from there or place files there, only install files from within Kodi.

Right now I am trying to do what this guy is showing me how to do in the video below which would be easy if I could just get the file.
Of course his is located in a different spot than mine but the point is that I need to see this ".kodi" folder and it's contents

Forgive my frustration but I have been trying to figure out how to access this folder for various reasons for years...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEOYp7TAwxE&t=325s
Spider99
Experience counts

Post by Spider99 »

can you show me a screen shot of your winscp
Tim

Eloquintet
Starting out

Post by Eloquintet »

I thought of doing that but am not sure how to upload images here but I will look into it.
I am at work right now so unfortunately I can't but will look into it tonight.
I logged in last night and compared what I see to yours and it looks the same to me.
Can you take a screenshot of what you see when you are inside of your Root folder?
Thanks for your help
Spider99
Experience counts

Post by Spider99 »

my screen shot is the root folder
Tim

Eloquintet
Starting out

Post by Eloquintet »

I mean what you see when you click inside of the "Root" folder in the right pane.
Sorry that I wasn't able to find time to share a screenshot yet, been busy, but I will share something this weekend.

When I browse to my kodi folder from within Kodi I can get there two ways which is confusing to me.
I am thinking of making a youtube video and posting it up here so you can see what I'm doing (or trying to do)
Spider99
Experience counts

Post by Spider99 »

the right hand pane is whats in the root folder - no mistry just a folder view - i think you are over thinking things

whats the full path to the kodi files you are looking for?

dont both with a video just upload some screen shots - use the "full editor and preview" - drag and drop images to the edit box and they will upload - you just need to click the inline option
Tim

schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Spider99 wrote:my screen shot is the root folder
There is a little bit more ... Permitting one does use sftp to access the NAS ... if using ie. ftp, only the normal shared folders would be visible.
Spider99
Experience counts

Post by Spider99 »

he is using sftp if you had bothered to read the tread
Tim

Eloquintet
Starting out

Post by Eloquintet »

Sorry for the delay but I finally got around to making a short video of my WinSCP configuration and what folder I am trying to access on my NAS.
Hopefully this helps clarify what I am trying to do.
Let me know if you can see this and if I need to provide anymore information.

https://youtu.be/klNq94firpI
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Spider99 wrote:he is using sftp if you had bothered to read the tread
To much experience. Crap UI like WInSCP create more confusion on root vs. root vs root - and then "/ <root>". I've seen to many users using WinSCP thinking they use scp, ftp, sftp, ... and when using ie. ftp the "/ "root" is magically somewhere else (in /share).
Eloquintet wrote:Sorry for the delay but I finally got around to making a short video of my WinSCP configuration and what folder I am trying to access on my NAS.
Lot of confusion - I understand.

In brief:

/ it nicked to be the root of the U**x-like file system.

HD Station does run in a chrooted environment - effectively this is /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/HD_Station

Look here:

[/] # chroot /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/HD_Station/
[/] # pwd
/

Still (or again) "root" ... this is the HD Station /, the one you cna browse form Kodi (and there is a folder named root, too - see below):

[/] # ls
bin dev etc HD_ShareFolder.sh HD_Station.sh home lib lib64 mnt mount_share.sh opt proc root run sbin share sys tmp usr var
[/] # exit
exit

Now we're on the QTS system root again:

[/] # ls
Data@ bin/ flashfs_tmp/ lib/ lost+found/ new_root/ proc/ run/ sys/ usr/
IPSEC@ dev/ hd_root_tmp@ lib64@ mnt/ opt/ root/ sbin/ tmp/ var/
QVS@ etc/ home/ linuxrc@ musicstation/ php.ini@ rpc/ share/ twonky@

Kodi is installed as "yet another App" (even if it's a HD Station App) - not under the HD_Station folder.

The folder you are looking for is on most installations on /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/KODI/root/.kodi - permitting you have viewing hidden folders/files enabled in WinSCP, you can click down to this folder.

The folders like /root (in the QTS context) or /root in the HD Station chroot environment are the home folders of the root (or admin) users, and this is not what you are looking for.

Enjoy!

Return to “Windows”