Mapped drives not authenticating + Unable to copy large files to Qnap.

Windows Access Rights Management
HighSun_Murder
New here

Mapped drives not authenticating + Unable to copy large files to Qnap.

Post by HighSun_Murder »

FW 4.3.3 / Windows 10
I cannot map a share using default admin or my created admin. I can navigate via explorer, but if i try and "Reconnect with different credentials", it fails to connect. Error = Cannot find 192.168.X
If i try and copy data to shared drive it says i need X amount of space to complete the action. (which i think is the remaining space on my C: Drive.) Qnap has 17+ TB available. I can copy smaller files to the qnap without issue so it's not permissions and i never set a quota for that share.

Please help!

THanks
schumaku
Guru

Re: Mapped drives not authenticating + Unable to copy large files to Qnap.

Post by schumaku »

HighSun_Murder wrote:I cannot map a share using default admin or my created admin. I can navigate via explorer, but if i try and "Reconnect with different credentials", it fails to connect. Error = Cannot find 192.168.X
Create the same user account (and password) you are using to login to your Windows 10 system. Do not try to customise Windows to behave different - use a password (which can be covered by ie. the PIN). Create groups on the NAS combining users with he same access rights. Grant the access to the NAS shared folders using these groups accordingly. Never use the Windows credentials store, take the pop-up of the Windows request to provide credentials as a notification that something is wrong.
HighSun_Murder wrote:If i try and copy data to shared drive it says i need X amount of space to complete the action. (which i think is the remaining space on my C: Drive.) Qnap has 17+ TB available. I can copy smaller files to the qnap without issue so it's not permissions and i never set a quota for that share.
Aehm ... how exactly are you accessing the NAS in this case to copy the data?
HighSun_Murder
New here

Post by HighSun_Murder »

schumaku wrote:
HighSun_Murder wrote:I cannot map a share using default admin or my created admin. I can navigate via explorer, but if i try and "Reconnect with different credentials", it fails to connect. Error = Cannot find 192.168.X
Create the same user account (and password) you are using to login to your Windows 10 system. Do not try to customise Windows to behave different - use a password (which can be covered by ie. the PIN). Create groups on the NAS combining users with he same access rights. Grant the access to the NAS shared folders using these groups accordingly. Never use the Windows credentials store, take the pop-up of the Windows request to provide credentials as a notification that something is wrong.
I'm not entirely sure what you mean here I didn't try and "customize windows". Why would i create an identical account to match my windows user on the Qnap? Either one of the Qnap admin accounts should suffice no? It was working fine with an admin account until it started throwing this out or space error at me. It is also note worthy that i received the same error on a different windows machine (Server 2008 R2) Lastly, What "Pin" are you referencing?
HighSun_Murder wrote:If i try and copy data to shared drive it says i need X amount of space to complete the action. (which i think is the remaining space on my C: Drive.) Qnap has 17+ TB available. I can copy smaller files to the qnap without issue so it's not permissions and i never set a quota for that share.
Aehm ... how exactly are you accessing the NAS in this case to copy the data?
I entered the network path to the share via explorer. I was trying to copy the data via explorer I also tried terra copy

Thanks for your attention on this, its been driving me crazy. I also updated Samba to 3.0 via SSH as outlined in another post. Still having an issue.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

HighSun_Murder wrote:I also updated Samba to 3.0 via SSH as outlined in another post.
This was applicable to some so called CAT1 NAS models - QTS 4.3.3 does come with a current SAMBA 4 for all newer CAT2 NAS modes, allowing to configure the max protocol to SMB 3.0 from the Advanced settings in Windows File Sharing Service.
HighSun_Murder wrote:Why would i create an identical account to match my windows user on the Qnap?
Because this does create a nice single-sign-on with transparent access. Much less operational issues. Much less hassles dealing with
HighSun_Murder wrote:Either one of the Qnap admin accounts should suffice no?
In my opinion, admin (==root) should not be used for shared folder access. One one hand, it's a risk factor, on the other hand, admin does create all folders and files as admin/administrators while normal users default to the everyone group. Normal users (including members of the administrators group) are fine.
HighSun_Murder wrote:It was working fine with an admin account until it started throwing this out or space error at me. It is also note worthy that i received the same error on a different windows machine (Server 2008 R2).
So we face a different issue than the process I had in mind, which depends on the local free space on the Windows systems. Best guess is that the Shared Folders are mapped to Offline Folders. As the NAS can't be found, and the drives can't be mapped, any write operation will happen to the local Windows drive. Otherwise, the write or copy would simply not happen.
HighSun_Murder wrote:Lastly, What "Pin" are you referencing?
Windows 10 does allow to configure a PIN, so the real password does not have to by typed in every time. In case the PIN gets compromised (video recorded, keyboard logger, wireless keyboard sniffing...), it wold work only on the local workstation and could not be used to access network resources from other systems.

Time to check the NAS. Is one nmbd process around, are multiple smbd processes around on the NAS? Is the NAS root file system run full, or almost full? Any error indications in the /var/log/log.nmbd and /var/log/log.nmbd? Any indications of problems in the NAS system log? Enable the System Connection Log on the NAS for SMB (Windows File Service) - this could unveil some issues, too.

Return to “Windows”