SMB Upload does not get Link Agregation/Port trunking speed

Windows Access Rights Management
alifnoon
Starting out

SMB Upload does not get Link Agregation/Port trunking speed

Post by alifnoon »

Hi

I have a TVS-1282 with lates firmware 4.3.3.20170703. I have link aggregation/port trunking set upon adapter 1+2

I am finding out that I get double speed on large file download from NAS to windows client PC i.e. my win 10 laptop. However I do not get the same speed on the upload.

I replayed the scenario even on a windows virtual machine I am running on the NAS, still the same issue.

I do not know of any setting that is incorrect or needs to be set.

Thanks for help or ideas.

Amir
schumaku
Guru

Re: SMB Upload does not get Link Agregation/Port trunking speed

Post by schumaku »

Hi Amir,

Tell us more about the environment, the network configuration, the switch, the cabling the trunk modes configured, ....

In general, the single session connection bandwidth does not multiply regardless.

-Kurt
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

Link Aggregation won't have any impact on bandwidth to any individual client's throughput. You would still be maxed out at around ~110MB/sec for a 1GbE connection. Where it DOES have impact is if you had MULTIPLE different clients hitting the NAS at the same time with high throughput needs. The AGGREGATE bandwidth of the NAS is increased, but not for the individual connections.

A VM running on the NAS is a different scenario (depending on how you configured your virtual switch) as that is basically running on the NAS internal backplane, and not over the NICs itself.
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
alifnoon
Starting out

Post by alifnoon »

Hi Trexx,

Your explanation does not make sense. Per attached Graphic from QNAP performance tests, The SMB file transfer speed would double for two 1 GB aggregated links.

Please see attached.

My problem seems to be coming from my WIFI strength so i have to investigate that. Also, logically, even if I accept what you are saying, the speed would be same from download/upload, even with link aggregation, i.e the bandwidth would be same due to its limits, otherwise it would be a fault.
TVS1282Samba Performance.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

wifi?

no wifi comes even close to single 1GbE speed
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

alifnoon wrote:Your explanation does not make sense.
It makes perfect sense.
Per attached Graphic from QNAP performance tests, The SMB file transfer speed would double for two 1 GB aggregated links.
If you read the notes at the place where you found the graphic you show here, you'll find that at least 4 client computers was used and that the bandwidth presented is the aggregated bandwidth of those multiple clients. That's exactly as Trexx explained it.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

Return to “Windows”