Samba/Wins Multi IP confusion / how to separate it

Windows Access Rights Management
Plexa-fci
New here

Samba/Wins Multi IP confusion / how to separate it

Post by Plexa-fci »

Dear All.
I have a bit confusing situation, need help. I think answer may be very simple. But cannot find it.
I have Qnap Pro with 4 available ports, lets assume my samba server name is "JamesRipper"
My Ip for the first interface is 192.168.1.10, then windows // ping "jamesripper"// from another network station returns "192.168.1.10", then all services like file sharing, www, sql works normal.
The problem appears when i put another Interface(s) to existing, same network. Like this
interface 1 = 192.168.1.10
interface 2 = 192.168.1.11
interface 3 = 192.168.1.12
interface 4 = 192.168.1.23
when i add another network interface, the Samba/Wins name were moved to the last available network IP. This cause windows confusion and some problems from time to time.
in the example above // ping "jamesripper"// will return 192.168.1.23

When i use virtualswitch with assignment like:
interface 1 = 192.168.1.10
interface 2 = 192.168.1.11
interface 3 = VirtualSwitch1 set to 192.168.1.80
interface 4 = VirtualSwitch5 set to 192.168.1.83
in the example above // ping "jamesripper"// will return 192.168.1.83

because the main www services are wired to 192.168.1.10 i had some boring cases with Wins/Samba network.
My question is: Is this possible to separate Interface1 for www/samba/wins/file sharing and ip 192.168.1.10 and set interface 2/3/4 for virtualstation's another IP? (my expectation is to connect some virtual station channels to the same switch and serve it as an isolated machines) and the main expectation is to use ONLY 1st interface 192.168.1.10 to sent Windows name.
i tried (maybe incorrectly) - service binding does not work with this case, virtualswitch is set only for virtual stations but name "jamesripper" is always sent by last interface.
Thanks for help - in advance.
michaeljtaylor
Getting the hang of things

Re: Samba/Wins Multi IP confusion / how to separate it

Post by michaeljtaylor »

I noticed the same thing (name resolution would always resolve to IP of NIC 2) and I actually opened a ticket with qnap, unfortunately they were not helpful.
in my opinion service binding should resolve this issue if all services are unbound from NIC 2 but it doesnt
further testing of service binding definitely indicates an issue with qnaps implementation (it just doesn't work)
My nas has 2 NICs. I enabled service binding and removed all services from NIC 2
yet i could still access my shares using the IP address of NIC 2 and I could also access the NAS web management page using the IP address of NIC 2

it would also be Nice if they had an option to disable NetBIOS over tcpip for each network interface (Like i can do in windows)

if you find a solution or workaround please post. I will do the same

thanks

-Mike
michaeljtaylor

Post by michaeljtaylor »

actually your post gave me an idea. I think I will switch my IP addresses and make NIC 2 my main interface and build my virtual network on NIC 1.
although it would be nice if qnap fixed this,
I'm no expert but my guess is each interface broadcasts NetBIOS on each nic/ip in series starting with nic1 then nic2, etc. and in doing so NetBIOS name would always resolve to the last NIC/IP that sent the broadcast, but who knows. I hope they fix it or add option/feature to allow more control regarding this matter.

thanks

-Mike
Spider99
Experience counts

Post by Spider99 »

try looking at network & virtual switch>system default gateway - and choose which interface is the default - one gets chosen at random but you can override it if you need a specific IP
Tim

TS-853A(16GB): - 4.3.4.0483 - Static volume - Raid5 - 8 x 4TB HGST Deskstar NAS
Windows Server + StableBit Drivepool and Scanner ~115 TB Backup Server
TS-412 & TS-459 Pro II: Retired
Clients: 3 x Windows 10 Pro(64bit)
michaeljtaylor

Post by michaeljtaylor »

I did look at the system default gateway. it was set to automatic and NIC 1 was set as system default gateway. I did not set it manually since it was already set to NIC 1 which is what I want it to be

thanks

-Mike

Return to “Windows”