QSync, how to set "keep newer file"?

Windows Access Rights Management
Surmu
New here

QSync, how to set "keep newer file"?

Post by Surmu »

Good day.

I bought Qnap TS-453A-4G to serve our business as a file server. I installed QSync because of shared folders and offline use. Qsync client nags constantly about file name conflicts. Qsync options are:
•Let me decide for each file by notifying me when a conflict occurs,
•Rename the local files,
•Rename the remote NAS files,
•Replace local files with files on the NAS file, or
•Replace files on the NAS with local files.

How to set it to automatically replace the older file -> Newer file? If you ask me that is the most common case. There is no way I can pick one of those options for all of the cases.

If we can't do that with Qsync what is a better App for our needs? OwnCloud could be one but I fear the light database (only option when installing OwnCloud to TS-453A) is not good enough for us: 10 users, 20 gigs data, tens of thousands of files and constantly growing.
schumaku
Guru

Re: QSync, how to set "keep newer file"?

Post by schumaku »

If you get conflicts because of the same files - while being offline - are being changed and updated on different systems and users, the loss of information (read: other edits and changes) is predictable if "newest" file(as per the time stamp) would win. For these cases, the Qsync options offered make perfect sense. Something basically wrong with your organisation processes I'd tend to say...
Surmu
New here

Re: QSync, how to set "keep newer file"?

Post by Surmu »

That is why there is version history and Conflict repository (or something like that). Most of the cases the newest file should be the winning one.

Dude A is offline and makes changes to file. When he is online again the newer file wins and NAS has the version A has been up to. After that Dude B comes from offline to online, NAS has the newer version and it gets synced to Dude B's laptop. All automatically IF always newer version wins. How to automate that with Qsync options? How about if there is a software in Windows that uses the same bit as Qsync to mark "has been changed" and you have to manually choose which file (of all those 100 000 files) is the newer one? We might have that kind of case atm. Easy to handle "newer wins", quite hard with Qsync options.

Return to “Windows”