Solved: Windows Server 2019 connection to NAS

Windows Access Rights Management
guitarfish
New here

Solved: Windows Server 2019 connection to NAS

Post by guitarfish »

For a week I have been trying everything to be able to connect from Windows Server 2019 to my QNAP NAS devices. The vast majority of suggestions I found online were to enable SMB 1.0/CIFS on Windows Server. This did not work. In fact, having this enabled actually prevented the connection from working.

(Sidenote: SMB 1.0 is very insecure and is disabled out of the box in Windows Server 2019, and newer versions of Windows 10. I have configured my NAS to use SMB 2.0-3.0).

On a freshly installed Windows Server 2019 system, you need to enable insecure guest logons. This can be done with this command which will update the registry:
reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\LanmanWorkstation\ /v AllowInsecureGuestAuth /d 1 /f

This should be all that is needed to connect to the NAS, but I observed that on at least one server, the connection would fail with "80070035 Network path not found."

This can be solved with these steps:
- Open Windows Credential Manager
- Click on the Windows Credentials section
- Click Add a Windows credential
- Enter the name of your device, for example, MYNAS
- Specify the username as MYNAS\<username>
- You can enter a password, or if you leave it blank, you will get popup box when you connect, and you can enter it there.

I hope this helps some people. I had a Microsoft case open for 3 days, and even they didn't figure it out.
zero269
New here

Re: Solved: Windows Server 2019 connection to NAS

Post by zero269 »

Thanks guitarfish for posting this.

I just setup a Server 2019 Datacenter for a lab wired to my Router/Bridge and was experiencing several issues with it... accessing my QNAP NAS was the third major issue.
1. Public Network Profile to Private and Network Discovery issues... resolved after several hours of experiments. Transferring my Logitech wireless USB receiver between computers for keyboard/mouse use is a pain for sure...
2. Using Remote Desktop from Win10 v1809 to the Server results in severe performance issues... unresolved so far. No issues with remoting into any other system. I'll continue this later...
3. QNAP NAS access issues. Kept getting the IP Address banned over and over with each attempt.

QNAP Solution:

I was able to follow your recommendations and had some success by enabling SMB 3 in QNAP.
Control Panel > Network & File Services > Win/Mac/NFS
Verified "Enable file service for Microsoft networking" was checked followed by Advanced Options > Highest SMB version: SMB3 > Lowest SMB version: SMB 1 > Apply wait and test > OK.

I pre-added my "Admin" credentials to Windows Server 2019 Credential Manager > Windows Credentials

Based on your Post, I searched and found a QNAP article "How to use SMB 3.0 in QTS 4.2" that helped me make the necessary changes you recommended:
https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/tutorial ... n-qts-4-2/

Note: I didn't see the registry entry you referenced above... I didn't need it for it to work. Just the SMB 3.
ZERO269

My QNAP NAS Details:
Model: TS-851 https://www.qnap.com/en-us/product/ts-851

As of 2021-08-18:

QTS Version: v4.5.4.1741 (2021-07-26)
Storage (5-disk array): 35/54 TB
Storage (single 12 TB): 1/10.7 TB
Memory = 8 GB
clangren
New here

Post by clangren »

Thank VERY much guitarfish for posting this. I spent about an hour looking for a solution to this issue for Windows Server 2016 rather than searching WS2019. Your solution worked perfectly for me.

THANKS!
guitarfish
New here

Post by guitarfish »

Glad to help!
UCDenver
New here

Post by UCDenver »

https://neurotechnics.com/blog/solved-c ... rver-2019/

Reverts to SMB2

If you want to enable insecure guest access, you can configure the following Group Policy settings (Select Edit Group Policy from the control panel), and navigate to:

ComputerConfiguration
> Administrative templates
> Network
> Lanman Workstation

Here there should be an entry called Enable insecure guest logons
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

* topic locked to prevent further necroposting *

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Windows”