Win10 pc won't list any qnap shares

Windows Access Rights Management
yorkman
Getting the hang of things

Win10 pc won't list any qnap shares

Post by yorkman »

I have one standalone win'10 ent pc with the latest features and updates that is unable to even see any shares when accessing the qnap nas using Windows Explorer by name or ip. IE: \\192.168.2.179

This pc replaced a Win'2012R2 server that was also standalone but was able to prompt for credentials before allowing access using a local windows account. This just won't happen on the Win'10 ent pc also using the same local windows account. Disabling UAC didn't help. The permissions on any of the shares haven't changed and another Win'10 pc, although joined to the domain, is able to access the shares.

Qnap is set to highest SMB 3 and is an AD member.

I've also tried installing Win'2016, Win'2019 for testing purposes and the same thing happens (does not prompt for credentials before denying access). Tried disabling ipv6 on the windows 10 pc but that didn't help. Network is set to Private and file/printer sharing is enabled.

The message is always the same when accessing it by dns: "Error code: 0x80070035. The network path was not found"
When accessing it by ip the message is slightly different: "0x80004005. Unspecified error"

DNS is working just fine. I get replies from qnap and from 192.168.2.179.

I should at least be prompted for credentials when going to \\192.168.2.179. Something must have changed when using a local windows account in new Win'10 release including Win'2016 and Win'2019 but I can't figure it out.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Win10 pc won't list any qnap shares

Post by dolbyman »

is the network blocklist active ? .. maybe the device was added to the list.
yorkman

Post by yorkman »

No blocklist is active.
zxlife
Starting out

Post by zxlife »

Check your Windows 10 machine's Windows Credentials:
  • Go to Control Panel (proper control panel, not the dumbed down version that Microsoft are trying to shoehorn over the top of Windows!)
  • Go to User Accounts > Credential Manager > Manage Windows Credentials (these are the creds that your Windows 10 machine uses to access other devices)
  • Under Windows Credentials, check to see if the name or IP address of your device is already listed. If it is, the password may be wrong. Delete it and the next connect should prompt for a login, otherwise, add/replace a fresh entry to this list with the correct name or IP address, username and password.
Hope this helps.
QNAP TS-412 (4 x 2TB WD RED)
yorkman

Post by yorkman »

Thanks but that wasn't the issue. However I just figured it out. All the posts and blogs out there mention to check some services are running, to disable ipv6 and to install the SMB 1.0/CIFS feature. But that would only resolve the network discovery issue (if you weren't able to see your nas or share device that's normally showing under Network in Explorer). After you've done these you still have to do one more thing.

In Win10, starting from version 1803, a genius at Microsoft decided that we now have to enable insecure guest logons. If you have the non Home edition then we just gpedit.msc and enable it otherwise you'll have to look for a tool that does it for you (you can probably enable it via the registry):

Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Network -> Lanman Workstation and find Enable Insecure Guest Logons and enable it. Run gpupdate /force for the changes to take effect immediately. Voila. As soon as I did that I was able to access my qnap using Windows Explorer.
Jonnie1
Starting out

Post by Jonnie1 »

yorkman wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:04 pm Thanks but that wasn't the issue. However I just figured it out. All the posts and blogs out there mention to check some services are running, to disable ipv6 and to install the SMB 1.0/CIFS feature. But that would only resolve the network discovery issue (if you weren't able to see your nas or share device that's normally showing under Network in Explorer). After you've done these you still have to do one more thing.

In Win10, starting from version 1803, a genius at Microsoft decided that we now have to enable insecure guest logons. If you have the non Home edition then we just gpedit.msc and enable it otherwise you'll have to look for a tool that does it for you (you can probably enable it via the registry):

Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Network -> Lanman Workstation and find Enable Insecure Guest Logons and enable it. Run gpupdate /force for the changes to take effect immediately. Voila. As soon as I did that I was able to access my qnap using Windows Explorer.
Thanks, this fixed my problem with my NAS drive going missing from my Quick access menu and Desktop.
stanzani
Know my way around

Post by stanzani »

After a brand new W10 PC entered my network I got the 'Windows Cannot access \\nasip" error when typing \\nasip in explorer.
All other PCs can access the NAS folder tree in explorer though.
I followed the instructions to skip the microsoft genius add-on :)
I can see nasname in the network unit list in the top left (just below This PC)
I had this problem in the past but is solved without any appearent intervention from me (black magic)

I enabled SMB3 in the NAS TS 651 control panel with QTS 4.5.4

This seems to happen anytime a new w10 PC is trying to access the NAS shares ...
TS-531P Annapurna

Return to “Windows”