10gbe access in Windows keeps freezing

Windows Access Rights Management
lyris1
New here

10gbe access in Windows keeps freezing

Post by lyris1 »

Hi all, This problem has been driving me nuts for a few years now.

I've had two 10gbe-enabled NAS units - a Synology and now a QNAP TS-1677x - and I have a RAID6 config in it with about 90tb of space.
The problem is that sometimes, when trying to access files and folders stored on the NAS, Windows will freeze up and the application trying to do the accessing will go into the "Not Responding" state. It does eventually respond, but this can take 30 minutes or more.

During this time, other machines can access the other 10gbe interface on the QNAP just fine. And on the machine with the problem, I can pull up the 1gbe interface just fine. Pulling out the 10gbe network cable (or disabling the 10gbe NIC in Device Manager) will instantly cause the machine to jump back into life (although of course, whatever file I was processing will error out since I pulled the connection).

I've swapped (okay, upgraded) the NAS, and during that same time, I swapped out all the drives in it. I've swapped the NICs (using both RJ45 and SFP+). I've moved to an entirely new CPU and motherboard. It still happens - the problem has survived just about everything.

I have two machines each connected to the QNAP NAS directly via its 10gbe RJ45 ports. Is this a bad idea? Should I be going through a 10gbe router/switch instead?

Any pointers would be much appreciated.
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Re: 10gbe access in Windows keeps freezing

Post by Bob Zelin »

it's only happening on one machine ?

I don't know what your motherboard is. I don't know what your NIC card is, or if it's part of the motherboard.
IF you have a x4 lane slot available, you put in an $89 QNAP QXG-10G1T, and that card will work fine. Drivers are available on the Marvell website for the AQC-107 (Marvell purchased Aquantia).

a Netgear XS505m is a nice cheap 4 port 10G switch that you can try as well, to see if this resolves your issues.
https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Ethernet ... 5500&psc=1

Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin / Rescue 1, Inc.
http://www.bobzelin.com
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

oh yea - if you are plugging in directly from 2 computers to the 2 10G ports, I strongly suggest being on 2 different subnets.
So don't make QNAP Ethernet port 5 192.168.2.3 and QNAP Ethernet port 6 192.168.2.4. And certainly don't make it DHCP
I suggest making it Eth 5 192.168.2.3 and Eth 5 192.168.3.3, so you are on 2 different subnets (these are just examples - you can use any numbers that you like, as long as you are on different subnets. )
Bob
lyris1
New here

Post by lyris1 »

Bob Zelin wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:41 am it's only happening on one machine ?

I don't know what your motherboard is. I don't know what your NIC card is, or if it's part of the motherboard.
IF you have a x4 lane slot available, you put in an $89 QNAP QXG-10G1T, and that card will work fine. Drivers are available on the Marvell website for the AQC-107 (Marvell purchased Aquantia).

a Netgear XS505m is a nice cheap 4 port 10G switch that you can try as well, to see if this resolves your issues.
https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Ethernet ... 5500&psc=1

Bob Zelin
Hi Bob,

Motherboard is an MSI X399 SLI Plus.
NIC card is an Intel 10G 2p X550-t, with the latest drivers. It's in the fastest PCI-E slot on the board.

At this point, it can't hurt to try that Netgear switch you recommended. Willing to try anything at this point.
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

don't try the Netgear 10G switch. The switch is just another variable in your problem. The Intel X550 is a great 10G chip - it's the same one that is on a QNAP LAN-10G2T-X550 card.
You state that you have switched out computers (which means that the 10G port has been switched out), and that you have at least one time changed the QNAP firmware.
I can only suggest two things that are left - 1) your Cat 6 cable has an issue, or 2) there is something wrong with the native dual port 10G card in the TS-1677X. It will cost you only $89 to get a
QNAP QXG-10G1T, put it into one of the PCIe slots of the QNAP, and see what happens. And if you get it thru Amazon, and that's not the problem - you can always return it.

And once again - please MAKE SURE you are using static IP's on the same subnet for your 10G port on the QNAP and the Win 10 PC - and not a self assigned 169.254.100.100 number.
Bob Zelin
lyris1
New here

Post by lyris1 »

Just wanted to bump this thread. This problem has nearly disappeared after strapping a little fan to the bottom of the case near the network card - which was previously painful to touch the heatsink of.

So yes, the card was overheating. Which makes sense why it would only be an issue on the main workstation and not in isolated tests on other machines on the network, which weren't sending as much data back and forth.

Return to “Windows”