Map multiple network drives with different users

Windows Access Rights Management
BBNifu
First post

Map multiple network drives with different users

Post by BBNifu »

Hi all!
So up until now I worked with a single shared folder and mapped it on my Win10 machine as a network drive. I created a user on the NAS and granted permissions to that folder. Works like a charm. (I got the credentials box when mapping the drive, put the user and PW and it just worked).
I now created another shared folder that I want to map with different credentials. I created a new user and when I try putting the credentials for that one while mapping the network drive, it just doesn't work. The only thing that works for me is unticking the "use different credentials" box... which means that the same old user is used for this share. Also when I remove the access rights for the first user from my new share I cannot access it at all. Another thing that sounds strange to me: even when using the credentials for the first user, it does not work. It only world when I put no credentials whatsoever.
Why do I even need this? My backup software cannot handle mapped drives and when connecting to a network share it asks for credentials. None of them work - not even admin.

Both users have RW access to both shares.
Not using AD auth or anything.
Password(s) listed as always valid.
Also created a group for both users, granted permission to the group. Did not help, just made me lose access to all shares, so I decided to ditch the group thing.

Any suggestions?
jaysona
Been there, done that

Re: Map multiple network drives with different users

Post by jaysona »

Basic windows networking.

You can connect using only one username/password from the same workstation.
RAID is not a Back-up!

H/W: QNAP TVS-872x (i7-8700. 64GB) (Plex server & encoding host) / TVS-EC1080 (32Gig ECC) - VM host & seedbox
H/W: Asustor AS6706T (32GB) / Asustor AS7010T (16GB) (media storage)
H/W: TS-219 Pro / TS-509 Pro
O/S: Slackware 14.2 / MS Windows 7-64 (x5)
Router1: Asus RT-AX86U - Asuswrt-Merlin - 3004.388.6_2
Router2: Asus RT-AC66U - Asuswrt-Merlin - 386.12_6
Router3: Linksys WRT1900AC - DD-WRT v3.0-r46816 std
Router4: Asus RT-AC66U - FreshTomato v2021.10.15

Misc: Popcorn Hour A-110/WN-100, Pinnacle Show Center 250HD, Roku SoundBridge Radio (all retired)
Ditched QNAP units: TS-269 Pro / TS-253 Pro (8GB) / TS-509 Pro / TS-569 Pro / TS-853 Pro (8GB)
TS-670 Pro x2 (i7-3770s 16GB) / TS-870 Pro (i7-3770 16GB) / TVS-871 (i7-4790s 16GB)
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

This app costs money .. should we see this as an advances ploy to pluck an app (two fist time posters) or let it slide ?
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

That's up-to-you @dm. ;)

Personally, I ban any FTPs (first-time-posters) who "advertise" paid applications/services.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Apparently it's the developer of this app ... posted a bunch of times in several forums recently .. sneaky

Ban applied

Return to “Windows”