Can't figure this out!!!!!

Windows Access Rights Management
carlosuriostegui
New here

Can't figure this out!!!!!

Post by carlosuriostegui »

Hello,
I just bought this QNAP NAS for video editing and storage.
TVS-672XT
8gb RAM, 6x 8TB Ironwolf Drives, I configured it as a static volume in Raid5.

I am connected via thunderbolt on my Windows laptop.
I am getting extremely slow speeds and even freezes at times. Whenever I copy a file from my computer to the shared folder on my NAS, it takes forever. I'm not sure if I am doing something wrong. I thought it would have like super-fast speeds.
I thought that I could use the drive like a regular hard drive plugged into my computer where I can drag and drop files into the folder, etc. But I haven't been able to do it at all.
Furthermore, I wanted to edit video from the NAS but whenever it's time to export, the computer freezes and I can't resolve the problem.

I do see the shared folders on my network and everything. I can launch the network drive with Qfinder Pro but whenever I drop a file, say a video file, into the folder it shows the progress bar but it just stays at 0% and doesn't move.
I'm literally so close to giving up. I just want this thing to work like it's supposed to...

I apologize because I am fairly new to this.
OneCD
Guru

Re: Can't figure this out!!!!!

Post by OneCD »

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Please don't post this more than once.

I've removed the duplicates. ;)

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

there is plenty of thunderbolt issue threads...did you try the forum search first?

apparently best advice is to go 10GbE and forget about thunderbolt
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

hello Carlos -
I am a video editing expert with QNAP systems.
It's not easy setting up a fully optomized QNAP system, especially for your application. You have not stated what computer you have, what operating system you have or what 10G adapter you have for your computer.
As was just mentioned by Dolbyman - if you have a thunderbolt 3 Mac Pro, I strongly suggest that you get a QNAP QNA-T310G1T which is a thunderbolt 3 to 10G adapter, and plug a Cat 6 cable from this into Ethernet port 1 of your TVS-672XT which is the 10G port. Assign a static IP for both the computer 10G port and the QNAP 10G port.
With eight matching 7200 RPM drives (the Ironwolf 8TB are excellent) you should be getting wonderful speeds. I do this every day for video editors.

bobzelin@icloud.com
Bob Zelin / Rescue 1, Inc.
http://www.bobzelin.com
carlosuriostegui
New here

Bob Zelin wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:00 am hello Carlos -
I am a video editing expert with QNAP systems.
It's not easy setting up a fully optomized QNAP system, especially for your application. You have not stated what computer you have, what operating system you have or what 10G adapter you have for your computer.
As was just mentioned by Dolbyman - if you have a thunderbolt 3 Mac Pro, I strongly suggest that you get a QNAP QNA-T310G1T which is a thunderbolt 3 to 10G adapter, and plug a Cat 6 cable from this into Ethernet port 1 of your TVS-672XT which is the 10G port. Assign a static IP for both the computer 10G port and the QNAP 10G port.
With eight matching 7200 RPM drives (the Ironwolf 8TB are excellent) you should be getting wonderful speeds. I do this every day for video editors.

bobzelin@icloud.com
I'm using:
MSI GS75 Stealth laptop with Thunderbolt 3
Windows 10 Home 2004 19041.572

The QNA-T310G1T arrived today and I plug it into my computer via the Thunderbolt port and then to the 10gbe ethernet port on the TVS-672XT and I am not getting any indication that it is registering on my computer nor the NAS. Obviously downloaded and installed the driver: AQC107
What do I need to do in order for my computer to recognize the connection?
carlosuriostegui
New here

Adding to that,
It's odd that when I plug in directly to the NAS to my computer via Thunderbolt, it does recognize the connection.
But when I use the adapter, it doesn't do anything...
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

I thought you were on a Mac. The driver for the AQC-107 is build into the MacOS from 10.13.6 - 10.15.7. But you are on a Win 10 PC. If you went to the Marvell website and installed the driver, does it show up in Windows Computer Management under Device Manger> Network Adapters ? If it does, go to your Settings> Network and Internet> Change Adapter Options, and you can click on the QNAP and set up a static IP for it. Make the 10G port on the QNAP a static IP to be on the same subnet.

To be clear, the Marvell Driver is the 64 bit driver for Windows 10
Bob Zelin
carlosuriostegui
New here

Bob Zelin wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:05 pm I thought you were on a Mac. The driver for the AQC-107 is build into the MacOS from 10.13.6 - 10.15.7. But you are on a Win 10 PC. If you went to the Marvell website and installed the driver, does it show up in Windows Computer Management under Device Manger> Network Adapters ? If it does, go to your Settings> Network and Internet> Change Adapter Options, and you can click on the QNAP and set up a static IP for it. Make the 10G port on the QNAP a static IP to be on the same subnet.

To be clear, the Marvell Driver is the 64 bit driver for Windows 10
Bob Zelin
Hey Bob,
I installed the Marvell 64-bit driver but I do not see it in the Device Manager under Network Adapters.
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

bobzelin@icloud.com
I will log in to you for free to see what is going on.
Bob Zelin
carlosuriostegui
New here

Bob Zelin wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:04 am bobzelin@icloud.com
I will log in to you for free to see what is going on.
Bob Zelin
Thank you so much Bob, I just sent you an email.
geoffpc
New here

Post by geoffpc »

Did this get resolved?
ll5k698dfg
Starting out

Post by ll5k698dfg »

In my case, I'm running W10. I needed to download/install Thunderbolt Control Center.

Then the Marvell drivers for the QNAP QNA-T310G1T. The product listing says I needed AQC107 driver:
AQC107 driver needed.png
Clicked on link:
PLATFORM: empty
PART NUMBER: AQC107
AQC107 driver.png
I downloaded the "8/24/21 Marvell AQtion Windows 64-bit Driver 2.2.3". Everytime I tried to install the driver, my PC hung/froze (no messages or anything). After restarting, I exited almost everything that was running in the System Tray. Then installation succeded and a notification popped up that a new Thunderbolt device had been connected and to click on the Notification to approve the device (or if you miss the notification, open the Thunderbolt Control Center and approve the device there):
Approve Thunderbolt device.png
I confirmed the Windows driver being used by the QNA-T310G1T:
Ethernet>Change adapter options>double-click QNA-T310G1T adapter>Properties>Configure>Driver: "Marvell, 2.12.2021, 2.2.3.0"
Marvell Driver details.png
I then set the QNAP QNA-T310G1T frame size:
Windows>Ethernet Settings>Adapter options> double-click the Ethernet icon that says "QNAP QNA-T310G1T"> Properties>Configure>Advanced>Jumbo Packet: Changed from "Disabled" to "9014 Bytes"
Jumbo Packet.png
Need to make same change on QNAP NAS:
NAS>Main Menu>Network & Virtual Switch>Adapter 1 (10GbE)>Menu>Configure>IPv4>Jumbo Frame: Changed from 1500 to 9000

I downloaded/installed AJA System Test
I couldn't find a way to test without mapping a network drive (z:) i.e. AJA System Test doesn't allow me to specify a network path e.g. \\169.254.28.140\qsync_test
AJA System Test>Target Disk>z:; Start
Write: 913MB/SEC
Read: 1033 MB/SEC
AJA Throughput.png
Sweet!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
[Main Server]
QNAP TS-872X7 (QuTS)
PCIe Gen3 x4: QNAP QM2-2P-344 with 2 x 2TB XPG SX8200 Pro NVMe
8 x WD102KFBX 10TB Red Pro, RAID6

[Backup]
TS-128A
18TB WD181KFGX Red Pro
ll5k698dfg
Starting out

Post by ll5k698dfg »

Also updated the firmware:
Marvell Firmware update.png
Opened a CMD window:
>atlflashupdate.exe
Aquantia AQtion Firmware Update Tool [Version 1.8.0]

*** Important notice ***
Update utility is only supported for certain systems.
Please refer README file for supported systems.

Proceed with update? (y/n): y
________________________________________________________________________________
No Name Firmware Update status Device MAC address
________________________________________________________________________________
1 QNA-T310G1T 3.0.33 Available: 3.1.121 87B1-87B11BAA 24:5E:BE:65:00:A8

*** Important notice ***
The network connection may be dropped during the update process.
Please complete all network activity before updating.

Enter adapter number or 'q' for quit without update
>1

===
+ Adapter: QNA-T310G1T
|-- HWID: VEN_1D6A&DEV_87B1&SUBSYS_87B11BAA
|-- Backing up... [OK]
|-- Updating... [OK]
|-- New firmware version: 3.1.121
|-- Trying to reload firmware... [OK]
|-- Restarting device driver... [OK]
===

Firmware update finished!

Press any key...
AJA Throughput 2.png
Really Sweet!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
[Main Server]
QNAP TS-872X7 (QuTS)
PCIe Gen3 x4: QNAP QM2-2P-344 with 2 x 2TB XPG SX8200 Pro NVMe
8 x WD102KFBX 10TB Red Pro, RAID6

[Backup]
TS-128A
18TB WD181KFGX Red Pro

Return to “Windows”