TS-251+ share login success ipv4, fail ipv6 via cur windows user

Windows Access Rights Management
EtzBetz
New here

TS-251+ share login success ipv4, fail ipv6 via cur windows user

Post by EtzBetz »

Hello,

I'm currently having a weird problem. I can't access one share "Multimedia" on my NAS since forever, using windows 10 smb shares.
generally it works, I can access the share through the web interface, i can access it through my macbook, i can access OTHER shares via windows 10 smb shares, but not this one Multimedia share.
I now got around to enable system access logging in qnap, and this is what's happening when I try to login:

Code: Select all

Number, Type,          Date,         Time,       Users,      Source IP,                                 Computer name, Connection type, Accessed resources, Action

9,      "Warning",     "2021-01-28", "10:01:44", "Raphael",  "2a00:6020:11f6:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx", "pc-raphael",  "SAMBA",         "---",              "Login Fail"
8,      "Information", "2021-01-28", "10:01:44", "raphaelb", "192.168.0.2",                             "pc-raphael",  "SAMBA",         "---",              "Login OK"
Note here: "Raphael" is my windows workgroup user on my PC, "raphaelb" is the user I added in the QNAP settings and is what im entering when windows prompts me. Also I censored the IPv6, since it's public.

So, I click on my NAS, select the "Multimedia" share, I get prompted for username and password, enter my information for "raphaelb", click login and windows seems to send both my entered information as well as the windows user info, gets an access for the qnap user, but fail for the windows user, and so it will show a failure and prompt me to enter correct credentials again.

Anybody has an idea how to fix this?

Greetings,
EtzBetz
Mousetick
Experience counts

Re: TS-251+ share login success ipv4, fail ipv6 via cur windows user

Post by Mousetick »

That's weird. We have too little information about the NAS configuration and the Windows 10 configuration to even attempt a diagnosis.

I really don't understand why NAS users seem to make their life so complicated. By default, Windows always connects first to SMB servers using the credentials of the currently logged on user, and then falls back to prompting for credentials or using saved credentials if that fails. So why not make things a lot easier for you by creating a user on the NAS with the same name and password as the Windows user? Why raphaelb? If your username is raphael on Windows, you can have the same raphael on the NAS, with the same password. And then you don't need to authenticate when connecting to the NAS via SMB when you're signed in as raphael on Windows. You just click and bam! you're connected and the share is mapped.
EtzBetz
New here

Post by EtzBetz »

Hi, if you want, I can get you any information you need, to diagnose further.

Why I didn't use the same credentials? I want to be relatively safe regarding viruses etc. (I know there isnt 100% safety), so when sharing credentials, any virus etc. will be automatically be able to connect to my nas. Before today I had the same username at least, but i thought that that was eventually the reason for the hickup, so I changed the username and tested again, without luck.
I'm also pretty sure that I had the credentials shared before and it still didnt work.
Mousetick
Experience counts

Post by Mousetick »

Ok I understand your concern about malware (virus, ransomware, ...). That's a good point. But in order to protect the NAS network shares from malware you need to ensure all of the following:
1) You use a different username on the NAS than your Windows username
2) You don't save the NAS credentials in Windows, so you need to enter username and password whenever Windows needs to authenticate to the NAS
3) You only access or map the shared folders on as-needed basis and disconnect when not in use
4) The NAS and its shared folders are not discoverable anonymously on the network
And even if you do all of the above, there is some Windows credentials and session caching going on behind the scenes as soon as you connect once, and the only way to guarantee you are completely disconnected is to sign off from your Windows account, or enter some obscure commands or reboot Windows.

You can decide whether an imperfect protection of your NAS network shares against Windows-based malware is worth the aggravation of going through all these hoops. For me it's not worth the hassle, and I'd much rather rely on good backups in case "poo-poo hits the fan" while enjoying easy and quick access to my shared folders when I'm already authenticated from Windows.

Sorry for getting carried away, back to the crux of the matter. So if I understand correctly, you have several shared folders on the NAS, but you're encountering failures only when trying to connect to the Multimedia shared folder. Is this correct? Please confirm.

What other shared folders do you have on the NAS?
What happens when you connect from Windows to one of the other shares on the NAS?
What happens when you connect to Multimedia after connecting to one of the other shares on the NAS from Windows?
You have never been able to connect to Multimedia from Windows, ever since you've been using the NAS?
What steps do you go through for connecting to the Multimedia share on Windows?
EtzBetz
New here

Post by EtzBetz »

A backup is one solution as well.. Eventually I will go that route at some point, but currently I don't have a 3rd drive to use as backup.
So if I understand correctly, you have several shared folders on the NAS, but you're encountering failures only when trying to connect to the Multimedia shared folder. Is this correct? Please confirm.
Yes.
What other shared folders do you have on the NAS?
I have home, Public, Multimedia and Raphael as shared folders.
What happens when you connect from Windows to one of the other shares on the NAS?
Windows will ask me for my credentials once, i enter them and afterwards am granted access to the folders.
What happens when you connect to Multimedia after connecting to one of the other shares on the NAS from Windows?
I am still prompted for username and password.
You have never been able to connect to Multimedia from Windows, ever since you've been using the NAS?
I'm 100% sure, but I don't think so. Otherwise I wouldn't ever have minded changing anything about the configuration. For as long as I can remember I always have gone the way of copying the files on another share and then moving them with my mac or going into my webinterface and moving them there.
What steps do you go through for connecting to the Multimedia share on Windows?
Usually, I open explorer, open the network link on the left, click on my nas, click on "Multimedia" and enter my credentials. Same for all other shares.
It's the same when I enter \\192.168.0.1\ or \\192.168.0.1\Multimedia into the addressbar of the explorer window.

Greetings,
EtzBetz
Mousetick
Experience counts

Post by Mousetick »

Ok, this is very very weird.

When you try to connect to Multimedia and it fails the first time and Windows prompts you again for the credentials, what happens when you re-enter the credentials? Does it fail again, and forever in a loop until you give up? Does the NAS access log show user 'Raphael' attempting to login over IPv6 each time?

When you connect to a network share that works (Public or Raphael for example), what is shown in the access log? Which IP address is used in that case, IPv4 or IPv6?

Have you tried disabling IPv6 on the NAS, temporarily, to see if it might make a difference connecting to Multimedia from Windows?

Are you running any multimedia "apps" or "services" on the NAS, which may or may not be using the Multimedia folder?

Does the NAS show up in the 'Devices and Printers' control panel on Windows? (*)
Windows 10 Settings > Devices > Bluetooth & other devices > Devices and printers (listed under 'Related settings' section)

Is 'Service Discovery' turned on on the NAS? (*)
QNAP Control Panel > Network & File Services > Service Discovery > UPnP Discovery Service > Enable UPnP Discovery Service

Do you have any credentials saved on Windows that might used for the NAS? (*)
Windows 10 Search "Credential Manager" > Pick first result > Windows Credentials. Look for anything that doesn't look like gibberish and has 'Raphael' as the username.

(*) If the answer to these questions is NO, that's fine, nothing's wrong. Don't change anything, just post the response to the question.
EtzBetz
New here

Post by EtzBetz »

Hey, sorry for the late answer, I have a busy time currently.
Mousetick wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:01 pm When you try to connect to Multimedia and it fails the first time and Windows prompts you again for the credentials, what happens when you re-enter the credentials? Does it fail again, and forever in a loop until you give up? Does the NAS access log show user 'Raphael' attempting to login over IPv6 each time?
Yes, it just asks me every time again for the same credentials, in a loop. And yes, all time time, my account "Raphael" is showing up trying to connect over IPv6.
Mousetick wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:01 pm When you connect to a network share that works (Public or Raphael for example), what is shown in the access log? Which IP address is used in that case, IPv4 or IPv6?
It shows the exact same entry, with the same IP(IPv6), but successful connection.
Mousetick wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:01 pm Have you tried disabling IPv6 on the NAS, temporarily, to see if it might make a difference connecting to Multimedia from Windows?
Okay, I just did that. It's the exact same result, sadly.
Mousetick wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:01 pm Are you running any multimedia "apps" or "services" on the NAS, which may or may not be using the Multimedia folder?
I'm using Plex on the NAS, but it's not directly using the Multimedia folder, but a folder named "Filme" within it.
Mousetick wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:01 pm Does the NAS show up in the 'Devices and Printers' control panel on Windows? (*)
Windows 10 Settings > Devices > Bluetooth & other devices > Devices and printers (listed under 'Related settings' section)
Nope.
Mousetick wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:01 pm Is 'Service Discovery' turned on on the NAS? (*)
QNAP Control Panel > Network & File Services > Service Discovery > UPnP Discovery Service > Enable UPnP Discovery Service
Nope, that one is disabled.
Mousetick wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:01 pm Do you have any credentials saved on Windows that might used for the NAS? (*)
Windows 10 Search "Credential Manager" > Pick first result > Windows Credentials. Look for anything that doesn't look like gibberish and has 'Raphael' as the username.
Nope on this point as well. :(

---

What I just noticed now, when I enter my correct credentials, I'm told that access is restricted. When I'm entering wrong credentials, I'm told that the credentials are wrong?
Also, the Multimedia share is a default share by QNAP, I can't delete it or anything.. Maybe thats part of the problem.. for whatever reason.
I also now changed my local username and password of my computer to be equal to the username and password used on the NAS, but it is still failing.
Today I also wanted to try to connect my android phone to the NAS using an app and SMB, but there I have the exact same issue: I can connect to e.g. public share, but not to the Multimedia share. At this point I'm thinking of just abandoning the default Multimedia share and creating a new custom one, which would probably work.

Return to “Windows”