Slow 10Gbe Write, 8 bay NAS

Windows Access Rights Management
Groove1337
New here

Slow 10Gbe Write, 8 bay NAS

Post by Groove1337 »

Hi there, hope you're all well!

I have a TVS-h1288X bought for video editing. It houses 2x 2TB 970 Evo Plus M2 SSDs for the OS and 8x Toshiba MG 16tb MG drives.

Read speed is 1000 mb/s, write is 250mb/s ish, has crept up to 360 on a 1tb file transfer at the moment. AJA speedtest gave it 235 write, 1003 read.

I was expecting faster read speeds and wondered if I can do anything to optimise?

Currently direct 10gbe connection with high end cable from the 10GBE port on the NAS to the 10Gbe port on a desktops ASROCK X570 Creator motherboard. I created a storage pool out of the 8 spinning disks, 20% space left for snapshots and raid 6. Left me with around 60tb, I used 50tb to create a shared folder for video editing which I mounted in windows and started testing on. 128k block size.

Any advice would be really appreciated, I'd love to get the write speeds nearer 500mb/s if at all possible. If the speeds I'm getting can't be improved with spinning disks, would adding 4 SATA SSDs and using them as a cache for the spinning volume mean write speeds would skyrocekt? If so, this will be my fallback plan.

Thanks for your time reading this
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Re: Slow 10Gbe Write, 8 bay NAS

Post by Bob Zelin »

Hi - I responded and it disappeared -
ok - one more time

you should not be getting 250 MB/sec for your write speeds. Of course, 1003 MB/sec read is great. TURN OFF ALL YOUR CACHE - disable any cache you have created. You should have a single 8 drive RAID with eight matching 7200 RPM drives in RAID 6, thin provisioned. You do not need the snapshots, and you certainly do not want overprovisioning for SATA drives - this is just for SSD's. I assume you put your QuTS on the two M.2 drives - is that correct ?

It's very hard for me to diagnose your problems in a web forum like this. Typically, people hire me to set these things up.

bobzelin@icloud.com
Bob Zelin / Rescue 1, Inc.
http://www.bobzelin.com
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

Hi Groove1337 -
did you ever get your write speeds back up? You never responded.

Bob
Bob Zelin / Rescue 1, Inc.
http://www.bobzelin.com
Groove1337
New here

Post by Groove1337 »

Hey Bob, apologies for not getting back. Spinning disk speeds are 558 write and 507 read. I stuck 4x 860 pro 4tb SSDs and made an SSD raid with one redundancy for editing which runs at 600 write 550 read and is running stable for editing at the moment. Not amazing but it's working for now

Thanks,

Return to “Windows”