Slow File Transfer Speeds

Windows Access Rights Management
nasjack
New here

Slow File Transfer Speeds

Post by nasjack »

File transfer speeds for both upload and download from my NAS is abnormally slow capping at the same exact speed of 5.5MB/s both wired and wireless. USB one touch copy worked great and was fast thank goodness and is the only thing that kept me using this NAS and not returning it. Please see the troubleshooting steps I already took below for more information along with connected hardware info.

Updated firmware to latest version 4.5.2 on QNAP NAS TS-230 with no change
Restarted NAS after shutdown from QTS with same result
NAS is directly connected to Netgear R6260 router via provided network cable that was included with TS-230 NAS and is connected successfully to the network with a static ip
Tested using DHCP with no change
Reseated network cable on both ends and restarted Netgear R6260 router which NAS is connected to
Connected NAS using different ethernet ports on Netgear R6260 router
Swapped out Cat5e cable with same result on transfer speeds
Netgear R6260 Router is a Gigabit wired device
Turned on SMB 1.0 CIFS in Windows 10 Home with exact same speed results
Tested with a different computer using Windows 8 Home with exact same speed results
Tested both computers using both wired and wireless connections to NAS connected via Netgear R6260 router resulting at same capped speed of 5.5MB/s in all scenarios
Tested all different types of SMB settings within QTS GUI
Set MTU to 9000 as well as other default MTU settings in QTS with no changes in speed
Router MTU is already set at 1500 with no bandwidth limitations
After all troubleshooting stated above, any connectivity within home network via wired, wireless and ftp to internal network static ip address assigned to NAS still all remain at a max of 5.5MB/s
NAS is using 2 brand new Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in RAID 1 configuration
Monitored NAS CPU usage during file transfers and CPU is nowhere close to being maxed out.

What could be the cause/fix for the extremely slow file transfer speeds to and from the TS-230 using a Windows PC? Anyone else have had the same issue? QNAP helpdesk provided no fixes on ticket responses. I did attach the NAS logs for them to check so not sure why they didn't see anything. This has been very tiring, frustrating and time consuming. Could there be an issue with the NAS itself? Any help is grately appreciated!
nasjack
New here

Re: Slow File Transfer Speeds

Post by nasjack »

One thing I forgot to mention, I do not have SMB encryption activated.
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

Hi and welcome to the forum. :)
nasjack wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:32 am What could be the cause/fix for the extremely slow file transfer speeds to and from the TS-230 using a Windows PC? Anyone else have had the same issue?
I've just transferred an 8GB file between the 'Public' share on my TS-230 (QTS 4.5.2) and a Windows 10 Pro (20H2) VM across 1GbE using SMB: there were no issues with speed.

From NAS to Windows:

From Windows to NAS:

• Is your NAS doing anything else while transferring your files? Is it indexing media, resyncing, virus scanning, etc... ?
  • Have you confirmed you have 1GbE all the way from PC to NAS?
  • To eliminate your router/switch as a possible bottleneck, have you tried connecting your PC via Ethernet directly to the NAS?

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
nasjack
New here

Post by nasjack »

OneCD wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:59 am Hi and welcome to the forum. :)
nasjack wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:32 am What could be the cause/fix for the extremely slow file transfer speeds to and from the TS-230 using a Windows PC? Anyone else have had the same issue?
I've just transferred an 8GB file between the 'Public' share on my TS-230 (QTS 4.5.2) and a Windows 10 Pro (20H2) VM across 1GbE using SMB: there were no issues with speed.

From NAS to Windows:

From Windows to NAS:

• Is your NAS doing anything else while transferring your files? Is it indexing media, resyncing, virus scanning, etc...
  • Have you confirmed you have 1GbE all the way from PC to NAS?
  • To eliminate your router/switch, have you tried connecting your PC via Ethernet directly to the NAS?
Thanks OneCD for your quick reply! Yes my network speed should have same results as you. The NAS is setup for basic use only to store and share files accessed only via the internal local network. No other features are turned on within the NAS. Not sure if indexing media, resyncing, virus scanning could be the cause. Would this be on the client Windows side or something I need to adjust on the NAS itself?
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

nasjack wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:21 pm Not sure if indexing media, resyncing, virus scanning could be the cause. Would this be on the client Windows side or something I need to adjust on the NAS itself?
These are inside the NAS, accessible via your QTS UI. Look for processes using a lot of CPU time.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Aqualizard
Starting out

Post by Aqualizard »

I'm a little late to the party, but I had the same problem and was able to resolve it. Check your ZIL Synchronized I/O mode settings and try the Standard setting.

More detail here: viewtopic.php?p=807831#p807831
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

Aqualizard wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:14 am I'm a little late to the party, but I had the same problem and was able to resolve it. Check your ZIL Synchronized I/O mode settings and try the Standard setting.

More detail here: viewtopic.php?p=807831#p807831
Is this setting available in QTS? Or is it in QuTS-only? ;)

Aqualizard
Starting out

Post by Aqualizard »

OneCD wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:59 am Is this setting available in QTS? Or is it in QuTS-only? ;)
Good point. I'm using QuTS Hero. I don't know about QTS. It looks like ZIL is ZFS Intent Log so I would assume it does not exist in QTS given that QTS uses ext4 and QuTS uses ZFS.
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

In that case, can you please stop posting your solution in the QTS topics?

Cheers. :)

Return to “Windows”