Mapping a drive to a NAS when the HTTP port is changed

Windows Access Rights Management
Noivan
Starting out

Mapping a drive to a NAS when the HTTP port is changed

Post by Noivan »

I access a NAS that is administered by someone else. Recently, due to QLockcer, the admin changed the HTTP port from 8080 to another port number (14xxx)
As a result, I can't seem to get Win 10, even with SMB enabled, to directly find the NAS. QFinder SEES it, but won't let me even SEE any of the shares.
Any ideas? (BTW, this is a TS-569 Pro running 4.3.4.1652.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Mapping a drive to a NAS when the HTTP port is changed

Post by dolbyman »

First off all, foget changing the ports, DO NOT EXPOSE YOUR NAS TO WAN .... changing ports will do nothing to prevent fingerprinting via portscans and services that sell info like that (e.g. shodan)

Secure administration from WAN is to be done via VPN access, nothing else.

Then, changing the external http port via port forwarding should have absolutely no influence on local ports and even less so on SMB file protocol.

So please elaborate exactly what was done here.
Noivan
Starting out

Re: Mapping a drive to a NAS when the HTTP port is changed

Post by Noivan »

Yeah, that's part of the problem. I don't administer this unit, and only have limited access to it, so the schmuck who DOES administer it doesn't exactly keep me fully informed of what he's doing. I didn't think Windows used HTTP or HTTPS even for mapping, but thought I'd check. These QNAP boxes are a real unto their own. I'll have to check with the admin.

Return to “Windows”