Unable to rename/delete a file

Windows Access Rights Management
adrenalinman
New here

Unable to rename/delete a file

Post by adrenalinman »

Hi folks.

I uploaded many files to my QNAP years ago in a wrong name format. After years ignoring the problem I finally decided that I will rename the files however I am unable to do it. It shows fault/process failed. I am unable to delete the file as-well. I know it was my mistake uploading files with diacritics (not supported signs). I tried to rename it in File Station as-well as on FTP. Unfortunately I am unable to connect the hard-drive straight to the computer because it is in different country.
I have TS-112P with firmware 4.3.3.1693

Does anyone have any idea how to do it?
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Unable to rename/delete a file

Post by dolbyman »

How are you accessing the NAS if it is in a different country ?

With VPN it should be no problem to directly mount them...If via exposed QTS, you have bigger problems on your hands (exposed NAS get hacked and held for ransom)
adrenalinman
New here

Post by adrenalinman »

Shall I say it is a two man's job? I need to have somebody at the other end and get a password to get access in to PC which is on the same wi-fi as NAS. The note was for a reason that I can't manually work it it - take it out and plug it to the PC as a hard-drive.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

if you have remote access to a computer in the local lan, you should also be able to mount it on that machine

or do you mean connect the actual physical drive in the nas directly to a computer? these old device drives are easy to mount via ext readers or linux machines..but are not plug and play on windows/mac
adrenalinman
New here

Post by adrenalinman »

I actually meant to take it out and mount it in to a machine (this I can't due to distance)

Remote access I have, however I can't change it. There might be an issue on a chair because I can't connect (-ish) through ftp in TC (Total Commander). I can do it only through xxx.myqnapcloud.com in TC or through web browser and IP address. The browser shows me File Station where I can't rename/delete.

Files, which I can open, I also can rename. I can't operate only with files with diacritics.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

as said ..direct qnapcloud access should be disabled asap..unless you like all your files encrypted
adrenalinman
New here

Post by adrenalinman »

I might not understand what you mean. What access and how to disable it?

Still, any idea how to solve the first issue? :-)
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

if you can reach the NAS plain from the internet via qnapcloud, it is exposed and will be attacked and hacked (remove port forwards and disable upnp on router)

I already posted above how to read/write to the drive from linux or ext reader via usb dock
adrenalinman
New here

Post by adrenalinman »

If I disable the access, does not it mean I won't be able to upload pictures from my phone or access my music? Sorry if I am asking as a noob.

I don't see what you mean. Did you mean that it is in a different thread?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

If you can freely access your NAS from WAN so can hackers ... read all the threads in here, on reddit and elsewhere where people have (recently) lost all thier files because they freely exposed their NAS

And I am now posting for a third time that you can access your NAS drive with an ext reader or linux system via a USB dock...
adrenalinman
New here

Post by adrenalinman »

I see what you mean. While accessing not at home I need a password, from a local WAN it goes straight in. I got it. Thanks

Ad external reader or Linux system via a USB dock - I am not sure if I have a cable long enough. 1200km/750 miles is a big far and travelling is a bit an issue. (I am really blind (or dumb). I really can't see where you posted that. Or what you are talking about. I can find mentioning Linux or USB dock only 2x. Maybe that's why I am not sure if you are referring to this thread or another)
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

No ...while accessing from outside your home you need to establish a vpn(no that does not cost anything) a password protection does nothing for you here

see all these security issues

https://www.qnap.com/en-us/security-advisories
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/s ... p-devices/

You said you have a two person show...get that second person to connect the drive to a pc via usb dock...if you dont have anyone ..wait till you have access again to that system

Return to “Windows”