Can no longer access NAS via Win10 File Explorer?

Windows Access Rights Management
RobAinscough
Getting the hang of things

Can no longer access NAS via Win10 File Explorer?

Post by RobAinscough »

I updated my TS-932X to 4.5.4.1723 ... all good no errors.

I got a suggestion to disable the default "admin" account. So I created a new user account and assigned it admin rights, logged out, logged in with new account, disabled the default "admin" account.

Went back to Win10 file explorer and I can no longer connect to my NAS?

I can login using QFinder Pro 7.5.0, brings up my browser, I enter my new login credentials and check permissions, homes,public,web all have my new account set to R/W.

But it seems Win10 is "stuck" trying to use the old "admin" account as I never get prompted to enter the credentials of the new account I entered. Tried a reboot of both NAS and my PC, still no go, can't get access.

Soooo ... I enabled the original "admin" account for the NAS and Win10 file explorer has no problem accessing. So how do I force Win10 to prompt for new credentials from File Explorer?

Cheers, Rob.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan
RobAinscough
Getting the hang of things

Re: Can no longer access NAS via Win10 File Explorer?

Post by RobAinscough »

SOLVED:

Another reason I hate Microsoft's lame OS ... solution:

1. In Win10 Search bar enter "Manage your credentials"
2. Control panel sub screen will appear, Make sure "Windows Credentials" is selected
3. Locate the NAS in the device list
4. Expand entry and select "Edit"
5. Enter your new credentials

One would think that since File Explorer connection attempt failed, than Win10 would provide an prompt to enter new credentials ... but no such prompt, just the permissions error and that's it ... ugh, Microsoft!

So I was able to disable the default admin account and now use my new user account and credentials.

Cheers, Rob.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan
Derek s
Starting out

Post by Derek s »

I had the same (and posted elsewhere for help).

I found the cure by pure luck! After spending hours enabling and disabling both default admin and the new admin account, I gave up and changed the default admin to a much stronger password. At this point, Win 10 popped up out of the blue with a new Sign in form, defaulting the username to admin. On that form, there is a further button offering alternative options under a hidden tab. Put the new details in there and hey presto, all good. Only further issue was that I use freefilesync to keep my desktop/Nas in sync and that had stopped working working in the background, however on entering the program, it too popped up with a new sign in panel.

Prior to sorting it myself, I raised a ticket. After 3 days I got a response "You have set up with the default admin in windows" Cheers Qnap, very helpful!

Wish I'd seen Rob's post first though!
wsimmons609
New here

Post by wsimmons609 »

Thanks a milly. I jsut wasted the last 7 days trying to figure this one out. ugghhhh............
billyblue
New here

Post by billyblue »

TS-431P updated to 4.5.4.1723.
I also followed the suggestion to disable the default account and then I disconnected the drive and then reconnected (there was an extra step as windows still wanted to use admin - sorry can't recall exactly what and where) and all seemed good - but 99% of my access is read.

Today I needed to create a new folder and put something in there. Trying to create the new folder I get the "Destination Folder Access Denied" popup - "You need permission to perform this action". I get the same popup when trying to copy a new file into an existing folder.

Enabling the admin account and re-configuring windows and both work without problem.

I checked permissions on the new account and all were RW - same as admin.

I followed Rob's Solved steps, but I still can't create or copy in to my NAS via the new account.

Any ideas?

- Sorry if this should be it's own thread.
gibxxi
Know my way around

Post by gibxxi »

To manage passwords stored on the PC for network devices:

START -> Run -> "Control userpasswords2" (without quotes),

In the dialog box that comes up, click on the second tab at the top, marked "Advanced",

Then click the button "Manage Passwords". That will open a new Control Panel Window with a list of credentials that can be edited / deleted. The window will default to "Web Credentials". Click on the icon labelled "Windows Credentials" to manage local credentials for Samba / SMB / CIFS connections for that computer. "Remote Desktop Connection" saved credentials will also be displayed here, so try not to confuse those with the ones related to your NAS(es). The credentials for each entry can be edited or deleted completely, which, in the latter case, will prompt windows to prompt you again for new credentials next time you attempt to access that resource, where you can opt (again) to save those new credentials.
"Si vis pacem para bellum!"
NAS1: QNAP TS453-Pro (8GB, 4x4TB WD-Red), NAS2: QNAP TS453-Mini (8GB, 4x2TB WD-Red).
billyblue
New here

Post by billyblue »

Gibxxi

Are you able to write to your NAS from Win10 using a new account with administrator permissions?

Your method takes me to the same popup as Rob's but with an extra step along the way. And you can't change the permissions for the Qnap user (old or new) from it.

And as per my orig post - the new user is in the Administrators user group with RW showing as the permissions; it's just that write (or create) does not work for me or RandomMen when accessing from Win10. Read does work for me from Win10 and several other devices that only need read access.
gibxxi
Know my way around

Post by gibxxi »

Yes. But I had already checked and made sure the user account on the NAS corresponded to that used by the folders the data resides in. To do that I SSH in using WinSCP / PuTTy. If you have folders of data on the NAS owned by the "admin" user, if your new user account is in the administrators group, you may be able to write to folders on the NAS whose group owner is "administrators" but may at the same time not be able to modify / delete files owned by the "admin" user itself.

Best option is to SSH in with WinSCP, check the folder / file ownership of your shares / data and then select any / all that need updating and use the context (right-click) menu in WinSCP to bulk change folder / file ownership to your new username from admin (properties menu item, last in the list). But be careful, some folders including the root share folders shouldn't really have their owner info changed, only the sub-folders and files contained within. This change can be applied recursively, so you won't need to manually edit every sub-folder / file individually. Look for the "Set Group, owner, and permissions recursively" checkbox in WinSCP's properties dialog box for a folder, it's files (and all subfolders / files).

EDIT: Sorry for the delayed reply, I do not routinely monitor, nor do I receive notifications from this forum. I get too much spam mail as it is. But if you require more details or are confused by any of the above, feel free to PM me as I'm pretty sure I will get notified about PMs.
Last edited by gibxxi on Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
NAS1: QNAP TS453-Pro (8GB, 4x4TB WD-Red), NAS2: QNAP TS453-Mini (8GB, 4x2TB WD-Red).
gibxxi
Know my way around

Post by gibxxi »

For clarity, when I originally bought my NASes, I knew from the outset that using the "admin" account for all and sundry would be a bad idea if the system, or my network got hacked somehow, so created a user for my Windows PCs to access the shares on the NAS. I still added this user to the administrators group, but I knew even so, it wouldn't have the same godlike access that the "admin" account does. I then set up R/W permissions (as required) on each share I created, as I created it, in QTS. I Also globally disabled "guest" access to anything and everything share-wise. This means that, I would only need to use the "admin" account to access QTS via my web browser. Everything accessed over SMB, including QSync, would use the second (personal) account I had created. That also applied to "myqnapcloud" services.

So while the root shares themselves, as created in QTS, were owned by the "admin" account. Everything contained therein, files and/or folders, were created by, and thus owned by, the secondary (personal) user account. This account also used a differing username / password combo to that of my Microsoft account details to log in on my Windows PCs. So some of the advanced SMB features were unavailable to me for that reason. But since these things are primarily Linux machines, I decided to keep it simple, and not enable those features, and keep it based on the native Linux permissions system.
gibxxi
Know my way around

Post by gibxxi »

One more thing. After you change the credentials in Windows using the "userpasswords2" method I detailed, you will likely need to reboot the computer for the change to take effect. Once Windows "logs in" to a network share, it may retain that connection for the rest of that session (supposition on my part) so a restart might be required to force a connection with the updated (new) credentials. It might also be a good idea to restart the NAS for the same reason.
cuenap
Starting out

Post by cuenap »

Ok people, I might have found a solution. My access problems also started after I followed up on QNAP's advice to change the default "admin" account into something else. After the problems started I changed the credentials in Windows 10 as suggested by others. However, I still could not create new folders in certain existing folders. This was driving me nuts. I tried the WinSCP - change permissions suggestion but there was nothing to change in the folder ownership dropdown menu, there was only "admin". I started looking for answers in QTS and after some digging around in the menus I found the following:

Open Control Panel
Click on Privilege
Click on Shared Folders
Go to the tab Advanced Permissions at the top of the page
Check the box named Enable Advanced Folder Permissions

It took a while before it applied the change (there is a percentage bar) but after that I was able to create new folders in the same places that I was blocked before!

As I am unable to reproduce this myself (everything works now and I don't want to roll it back) I cannot be 100% certain that this is a working solution for everybody. But it worked for me. It would be nice to know if others try this as well and report their results. Hopefully it works for you too. Thanks.
bokko
New here

Post by bokko »

I find that you need to be logged in with admin account once after a reboot. Before file explorer will begin to work.
Due to this I ignored error and setup up strong password with 2FA
Oh and disabled login from the web. Have many other ways to do this.
mole2006
First post

Post by mole2006 »

Just has a similar problem after creating a new account on the NAS. Make sure you 'disconnect' any mapped network drives connecting to your NAS as I don't think Windows will allow multiple connections using different credentials. Once you've managed to connect remap your drives.
Ancietine
New here

Post by Ancietine »

RobAinscough wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:46 pm SOLVED:

Another reason I hate Microsoft's lame OS ... solution:

2. Control panel sub screen will appear, Make sure "Windows Credentials" is selected

One would think that since File Explorer connection attempt failed, than Win10 would provide an prompt to enter new credentials ... but no such prompt, just the permissions error and that's it ... ugh, Microsoft!

So I was able to disable the default admin account and now use my new user account and credentials.

Cheers, Rob.

You sir are my savior cause I had this same issue and I've looked for answer a year ago with no results (maybe I didn't look hard enough). But saw this and felt so stupid but relieved at the same time. So simple!! Thanks!!
vvbit
New here

Post by vvbit »

RobAinscough wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:46 pm SOLVED:

Cheers, Rob.
Thanks! I can confirm it works for me too. I found it after searching for a possible solution to change network credentials.
This video may be helpful, it shows a similar procedure for removing credentials
https://youtu.be/NELbSv2lw3s

Return to “Windows”