Can't map drives through QVPN (used to work)

Windows Access Rights Management
aeMaeTHs
New here

Can't map drives through QVPN (used to work)

Post by aeMaeTHs »

Hi there,

I've got TS-231P in my home to which I used to be able to connect through QVPN configured with OpenVPN.
In my office I have set up OpenVPN client to connect with my home NAS and then I could just map network drives in Windows explorer to get access to shared folders on NAS.
This setup was working for over two years.

Now, after I've upgraded to 4.5.4 I lost the ability to map drives through QVPN.
I can still connect with OpenVPN client but when I type NAS ip address in the browser (192.168.0.200) I get 'connection timed out' error. So all my mapped drives ain't working either since they all use this IP.
I can use mapped drives in my home network just fine, only the QNAP connection broke down.

Oh, right after I've upgraded to 4.5.4 the QVPN app was unresponsive, meaning when I tried opening it the app windows was all white blank.
So I reverted to 4.5.3 but that didn't help.
So I reinstalled the app and that did the trick - I could access the app through the web interface but the problem with accessing my local network through VPN remained.

Any suggestions where to look to fix that problem?
I'm out of ideas after a day of searching for the fix :(

PS.
I decided to upgrade to the latest FW 5.0.0 hoping it would help but it didn't.
Sleek new UI though ;)
SMB.png
QVPN.png
upnp nas.png
upnp router.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
aeMaeTHs
New here

Re: Can't map drives through QVPN (used to work)

Post by aeMaeTHs »

oh, I can access my home router from the office while i'm connected through VPN so I'm IN my home local network
but I can't connect with the nas :/

router 192.168.0.1 - working
nas 192.168.0.200 - not working
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Where does QVPN come into play ? .. if you are connected to the server on the router, no VPN is needed on the NAS
aeMaeTHs
New here

Post by aeMaeTHs »

ok, so i didn't use router as vpn, only set up vpn server on nas - yes, silly me :|
but that config worked!

now, when I'm trying to troubleshoot why it stopped working I educated myself and switched off nas vpn server, set up vpn on router and now nas connects to router via vpn.
still - can't seem to connect to nas
on local network when i'm connected through router wifi it works normally - i can open nas web interface and map shares as drives
but when i connect my pc through LTE router, then connect with my home router through vpn it stops working.

i can type in my local router ip (192.168.0.1) and i can log on to my home router even though i'm using 'outside' internet connection
but when i type nas ip, and it doesnt matter if its local (192.168.0.200) or vpn one (10.8.0.6), I can't connect to qnap

what gives?
aeMaeTHs
New here

Post by aeMaeTHs »

huh, just now, i've uninstalled qvpn so now nas is connected to router 'normally'
and only my PC is using vpn when connecting to the home router
guess what... it works!

it seems i overcomplicated the whole thing
<i'm with stupid>

case closed :|
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

the subnets in both networks(work and home) have to be different, you cannot route a /24

to

change the home network to 192.168.10.0/24 (or whatever other class C you want)

Return to “Windows”