Admin only access to shares

Windows Access Rights Management
Q-nap
Starting out

Admin only access to shares

Post by Q-nap »

I've been doing IT systems for some time. Started with Windows 3 then moved on and life was complex back them. Thing worked but only if you did things right and in the correct order. Then things took off and things became a lot easier. I've been a systems administrator on UNIX boxes, DEC Alphas and VAXs. Windows Servers from NT to 2016.

Having built my own Windows NT Server and using that for everything meant I was set up. Then I had a hardware issue and my server was no more. Never mind I could move everything to my NAS. I had my Qnap NAS. A TS453 Pro which I used for simple file storage for a while. So I rebuilt the NAS set up the file areas and copied the files across. Had 18Tb of data so it has taken some time. In the meantime I installed the NTP, Pi Hole, DHCP and a couple of other things I had on my server. I was using an admin clone as the login. Then I came to the simple bit. Adding some users and setting up the shares. Simple enough, or so I thought.

I set up the first user on the W10 system. Seemed to go fine. Then I rebooted to check re-connectivity and it failed. I get occasional successful connectivity with various accounts but none survive a reboot. On Windoze, I can set up shares using Qfinder, only on 10 though as the version doesn't support 7 (can someone point me to a W7 version), and only using Admin as the user. Everything else gets 'Access is denied'. I can connect all my shares, except for home, using the admin account. Ordinary users get I've even tried setting them up as Administrators but no joy.

This tells me the basics are all set up. I have connectivity. I'm using Samba, and its basic configuration is sound. Firewall configured OK. All those are confirmed because I can connect up to the NAS using admin. Yet, I can only connect using Admin. That must be something on the NAS that is stopping users logging in. However, I have adjust lots of settings so may have set something I shouldn't and forgot to reverse it out.

I have spend all weekend on this. I cannot set up shares on my Windows Systems, Windoze 10 and Windoze 7. I have on Ubuntu though. Never have I hit inconsistency and issues like this on what should be a simple process.

Does anyone have an idea what my problems(s) could be?

Return to “Windows”