File Sharing Recommendation

Windows Access Rights Management
Anon_UD
New here

File Sharing Recommendation

Post by Anon_UD »

I'm a new owner of TS-673 and I'm going to use this for sharing in my office with multiple users (around 20 people).
As some of the users are using MAC while most others are Windows platform, what is the recommended sharing method should I use?
Is it viable to run shared folder with Qsync Client to access and is there any downside to Qsync in sharing?
dolbyman
Guru

Re: File Sharing Recommendation

Post by dolbyman »

SMB protocol is the common denominator...

Never used Qsync..but if everyone is working on the NAS, no need to sync anything
spile
Been there, done that

Post by spile »

Keeping files local can make a lot of sense especially if they are large and/or require a large number of disk writes. I have found no issues with QSync but then I only use one OS and two clients. Roll it out and run some tests.
Anon_UD
New here

Post by Anon_UD »

Rolled out sharing and let the users use Qsync.
There are 2 issues we have encountered so far not sure why/what is the cause.
There are conflicted files/folders with only 3 users that have permission to it and it is almost not accessed most of the time.
Users that setup the folder pairs enabled space-saving mode which did not make a copy in local (cloud only) are having issue sometimes with file cannot be opened.
dhanlin
Starting out

Post by dhanlin »

If you right-click on a folder that is part of the QSync hierarchy there is an option to "Share this folder as a team folder".
QSync->Share this folder as a team folder

I personally have never used this option as I am just using QSync in my home and I just sync my personal computers, but maybe it will provide a better solution for you in a larger environment?

This is from the Help file.
Team Folders
You can share the folders in the Qsync folder as team folders. From the Team Folders screen, you can add a team folder, edit user access to team folders, and unshare a team folder. Team folders do not have file restrictions.
Anon_UD
New here

Post by Anon_UD »

What I did was create shared folders grant access to the users and these users were to upload whatever files they are holding to these shared folders so we can centralized them in NAS.
None of the users got a hold of all files on specific folder so this is a bit challenging to revamp now to team folders. In NAS there may already have more than 1000 subfolders in total. :(

Return to “Windows”