Intermittent loss of access to QNAP shared folders from Windows 10 laptop

Windows Access Rights Management
maver1ck09
Getting the hang of things

Intermittent loss of access to QNAP shared folders from Windows 10 laptop

Post by maver1ck09 »

Hi,

I have used the following command on my Windows 10 laptop:
net use \\[NAS Host Name]\IPC$ /user:[NAS Host Name]\admin [admin password] /persistent:yes

This had worked on my previous NAS which had both network interfaces channel bonded, so that I could consistently access NAS network shares using the hostname of the NAS.

However, on the new QNAP NAS, I decided to forego channel bonding, so network services are effectively being shared out on two addresses IP addresses.

This is causing havoc with my access to QNAP NAS shares, as the hostname of the NAS alternates between IP addresses for Adapter 1 and Adapter 2, so I routinely lose access to NAS shares from my windows laptop, either with a system error 64, or a challenge to re-enter user credentials (which never get accepted, no matter how many times I put in the right password).

Have tried to bind all network services to just Adapter 1 for the NAS:

After this config change, however, the hostname of my NAS still continues to alternate between IP addresses for Adapter 1 and Adapter 2 despite this!

Do any gurus out there know of a rock-solid way to bind the hostname of a QNAP NAS (TS-464-4G) to just one of the Adapters?
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Intermittent loss of access to QNAP shared folders from Windows 10 laptop

Post by dolbyman »

Just connect a single cable to the NAS..if you need more speed upgrade to a faster connection (e.g. 2.5GbE)
Connecting multiple LAN adapters in the same subnet and then using hostname to connect, is causing issues (as you have found out)

Why would you think connecting two cables without trunking would be beneficial (even with trunking..circumstances need to be right for it to work)?
PeterT1959
Know my way around

Post by PeterT1959 »

I wonder if QNAP officially supports SMB Multichannel in it's SMB V3 mode? There are threads here where people have enabled it. My gut feeling is that IF it is/was supported that multiple NICs on the QNAP should not cause an issue.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

maver1ck09
Getting the hang of things

Post by maver1ck09 »

Hey dolbyman,
Just connect a single cable to the NAS..if you need more speed upgrade to a faster connection (e.g. 2.5GbE)
Connecting multiple LAN adapters in the same subnet and then using hostname to connect, is causing issues (as you have found out)
Actually, I found out what the real problem was:

I got that format from somewhere, and apparently the format is wrong! :(

After removing the above configuration from completely from the 4 network shares with the intermittent access problems, a final system error 121 was thrown when I attempted to re-map to IPC$ immediately. Then after restoring the default binding (all network services to both adapters), and then waiting another hour or so to attempt the re-map, the problem was no more!
Why would you think connecting two cables without trunking would be beneficial (even with trunking..circumstances need to be right for it to work)?
The only reason I'm connecting both adapters is becoz down the road, I may need Container Station to advertise services through different adapters, or at least operate a virtual switch on a different adapter.

I'm afraid my understanding of both virtual switches and how to operate Container Station is still rudimentary at best, and I failed miserably tring to get Transmission to work on Container Station - care to recommend any good wiki/knowledge articles that can help upskill me in these areas?

Return to “Windows”