Remote Access difficulties

Windows Access Rights Management
Tallpaul78
First post

Remote Access difficulties

Post by Tallpaul78 »

Hi All,

I am pretty new to NAS technology and made my first purchase recently - a TS219-P.
I am running Vista on three PC's through a Linksys 8 port router (model befsr81) and am having real difficulty setting up remote file server and ftp access.
I have a dedicated static IP address coming in to the router and can map out the public network drive using the network connection without a problem, but i just cannot get access from a remote location.

I have tried settting up the port forwarding on the router but this does not seem to work.
Also i have found that when i leave the office at night and turn off the pc's leaving the router and the Qnap still plugged in - when i come in in the morning my internat acces is lost completely, meaning i have to disconnect the Qnap from the network and reset the router.

I have a feeling that i have not set this up in my network correctly to be causing this many issues - any guides or help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers
QNAPJason
QNAP Staff

Re: Remote Access difficulties

Post by QNAPJason »

Hi Tallpaul78,
1. Since you have a public static IP, in your Linksys router, you must forward the corresponding ports (8080, 21, 80,..etc) from your router to your QNAP TS-219's IP address (sometimes called Virtual Server or Port Forwarding in routers).

2. Also make sure you've upgraded to the latest official firmware for both NAS & router.

3. check the DNS settings of your TS-219P.

4. The best way to check is to place your NAS in the DMZ of the router -- note, this will open all ports on your NAS.

Please also consult your Linksys router's manual or tech support on how to setup port forwarding correctly.

Jason
jimguo
Getting the hang of things

Re: Remote Access difficulties

Post by jimguo »

your router is not set up correctly. you shouldn't lose the interest access if router is powered on, regardless the computers or NAS in the network are on or off.
pls re-check your router settings.
if you need the access to TS219 outside your office, you need to PORT FORWARDING on your router. e.g. your NAS ip is 192.168.1.100, you need to 'port forward' port 80 to 192.168.1.100 for web. Port 21 to 192.168.1.100 for ftp. etc.
jim
TS 239 + TS 119 + 469U

Return to “Windows”