Qnap NAS not appearing on network (Windows Explorer)

Windows Access Rights Management
sultanbrunei
Starting out

Re: Qnap NAS not appearing on network (Windows Explorer)

Post by sultanbrunei »

My QNAP TS-228 with latest firmware 4.3.3.0299 build 20170901 also have this issue.
My Setup at home is:
A. Desktop PC Win10 ver1703 (OS build 15063.674)
B. Surface Pro Laptop Win10 ver1703 (OS build 15063.674)

Qnap nas is showing normally in my desktop PC. It does not appear in my laptop. I tried to play will all settings I can find from what I read on the net relating to this issue and none fixed it.
Then, I updated my laptop win10 to ver 1709 (OS build 16299.19), and the QNAP suddenly appear.

I was relieved, and I start working to set samba access based enumeration. Enabled the "hide unreadable = yes", restarted the samba, and once again QNAP suddenly disappear from network location! So I re-disabled the "hide unreadable" command, and now the QNAP won't appear again!

Does anybody know what is wrong with my setup?
Is it correct to assume that my only option right now is to revert to old firmwares?
MadWolf
First post

Post by MadWolf »

I have the same problem with ts-228. On my desktop pc everything is fine, but on my laptop I cant reach the nas as a network storage, I can reach only the web interface through browser.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

MadWolf wrote:On my desktop pc everything is fine, but on my laptop I cant reach the nas as a network storage, I can reach only the web interface through browser.
Client for Microsoft Networks not installed and enabled on the laptop network interface(s)/adapter(s)?

Network Status configured as a public network profile instead of a private network?

What happens when using \\[NASname]\ or \\[NAS-IP-Address]\ like entering \\myNAS\ or \\192.168.12.34\ in Windows Explorer on your laptop?
lasseponken
New here

Post by lasseponken »

Microsoft has made changes to the SMB protocol. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... rsion-1709
Windows tries to login as guest and blocks the connection. You can see this in the Security log of the smb-client.

To bypass this, rightclick on the "This PC" in File Explorer and choose Map network drive.... enter \\NameOfNAS\Share and then tick connect using different credentials, you will get it working.
petersonal
New here

Post by petersonal »

lasseponken wrote:Microsoft has made changes to the SMB protocol. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... rsion-1709
Windows tries to login as guest and blocks the connection. You can see this in the Security log of the smb-client.

To bypass this, rightclick on the "This PC" in File Explorer and choose Map network drive.... enter \\NameOfNAS\Share and then tick connect using different credentials, you will get it working.
YOU SIR, MY ** HERO. Finnaly. Some working solution.(TS-473 modell, firmware updated (4.3.4.0644))

Return to “Windows”