File transfer speed slow as snails - help please ts-212

Windows Access Rights Management
curiosity22
Getting the hang of things

File transfer speed slow as snails - help please ts-212

Post by curiosity22 »

Hi g'day people,

I've had a look around the forums and it seems to be a recurring theme with no solution as such...

My speed transferring files too the ts-212 was woefully slow until I did the tweak's below - it used to be 11,500 kbytes copying to and from - I've managed to resolve the issue copying from a 500% improvement but copying files to the Qnap is just stupidly slow.. I don't understand I'm happy and can live with 50,000 kbytes copying from I just can't live with the slow copy to the qnap and I totally don't understand why the file copy is even slower when transferring files between the drives in the box itself if anything they should just be zip-petty zip-petty but they are not.

help help help or should I shoot the box sighhhhh - I really don't want to spend days let alone long long hours transferring data.
I've done the logical prayer, swear and curse exercise... I'm out of words..

Any help and suggestions much appreciated..

I have as below.

2 x 2tb hardrives
WDC WD20EARX-00PASB051.0
Seagate ST2000DM001-9YN1CC46

Transfer from qnap ts-212 to any drive in my system is 56,000 kbytes
Transfer to qnap ts-212 from any drive in my system is 11,600 kbytes

Transfer internally Qnap ts-212 drive to drive in qnap ts-212 is 5,400 kbytes

I have done the following so far

netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

I've disable remote differential compression in windows features

I have a gigabit billion router 7800N
gigabit dlink dge-528t lan card Dlink 7.54.309.2012 lastest driver version

cat6 cable

Have enabled jumbo frame on d-link nic to 7kb mtu
If I disable jumbo frame on d-link nic transfer from qnap ts-212 to system drops to 11,500 kbytes

jumbo frame on Qnap ts-212 is 1500 mtu
Qnap network speed = auto negotiation anything else just slows it to a further crawl.
schumaku
Guru

Re: File transfer speed slow as snails - help please ts-212

Post by schumaku »

curiosity22 wrote:Have enabled jumbo frame on d-link nic to 7kb mtu
If I disable jumbo frame on d-link nic transfer from qnap ts-212 to system drops to 11,500 kbytes
jumbo frame on Qnap ts-212 is 1500 mtu
Qnap network speed = auto negotiation anything else just slows it to a further crawl.
LOL ... so standard MTU on the NAS, and 7k MTU on the client? Ans setting both to standard does topredize the perfromance? Something is wrong with your switch infrastructure - below level threre.

When the network does not perform with the standard MTU, playing with umbo Frames is clueless. Real-world difference is very small - the difference is just some TCP/IP hedaer checksuming that must be done less regularely. As well, bringing up the sometimes mentioned "solution" of destroying an excellent working Windows feature dos not make any sense if the L2 switching is not set-up correct. And correct means: Either standard MTU alloever - especially when elderly devices ar on the network - or enable JF where ver possible - after ensuring the GbE switch can hanlde it.
curiosity22

Post by curiosity22 »

Yes its stupid I know but if I dont use mtu on client I get terrible data transfer rates I may as well just have a base 10/100 switch so by doing that I at least bump my data transfer rate by 500%.. from the qnap to my system. As far as an excellent working windows feature well I tend to disagree lol its not working as intended otherwise I wouldnt be wasting so much time to make it work.

What suggestions do you have for correctly setting up the switch?
I'm happy to change and swap things about to make it work. As it is the Qnap is pretty much useless as it is for data transfer..

Forgot to add - all being fair and equal windows settings other setting network cards cables etc etc ....

How does one explain data transfer being only 5,000 kbytes between hard drives in the qnap itself no matter what the other settings? One would think and it would be reasonable to expect a better internal transfer... or am I mistaken there...
curiosity22

Post by curiosity22 »

Ok,

I have an update regarding my situation with speed, I sent a request for assistance to Qnap support.. Reply was as follows..

It will be a couple of days before I know if this fixes the issue - I'll buy another h/disk but I don't particularly want to spend days transferring data, any suggestions as to how to do this quickly? I've never had the need to remove data from a Linux formatted drive..
?>

Dear customer,
Thanks for choosing QNAP.
The root cause is the HDD, WD20EARX is not compatible with QNAP NAS, please do not use it.
Compatibility list http://www.qnap.com/en/?lang=en&sn=3877
For ST2000DM001, please upgrade the new firmware to CC4H.

Best regards,
QNAP Systems, Inc.
curiosity22

Updating firmware on h'd's in Qnap ts-212

Post by curiosity22 »

G'day,

Ok since Qnap support has suggested that I update my firmware on the seagate hd that I have...

Hows does one go about this - I have the firmware tool it wants to reboot which Im assuming will search for the hd locally on my system.

Never having done this before could someone please offer advice.

Will I need to remove the h/d from the qnap and is it ok to place it in an external esata box to update the firmware.

Can I leave it in the qnap box???

I'm a bit lost with regard to linux its file system etc...

Cheers..
P3R
Guru

Re: Updating firmware on h'd's in Qnap ts-212

Post by P3R »

curiosity22 wrote:Never having done this before could someone please offer advice.
It's a Seagate disk and a Seagate tool. Read the instructions from Seagate and ask them if anything is unclear.
Will I need to remove the h/d from the qnap,,,
Yes.
...and is it ok to place it in an external esata box to update the firmware.
Most likely yes but read the system requirements from Seagate.
I'm a bit lost with regard to linux its file system etc...
I doubt that Seagate have a firmware update tool for Linux and if I'm right that's one of the reasons you need to move the disk to a computer with an operating system that is supported for the firmware update tool. Probably Windows and maybe something more.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
curiosity22

Post by curiosity22 »

Thank you very much,

Lets see how I go - will post results next couple of days.

Much appreciate the advise..

Cheers...
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

curiosity22 wrote:Yes its stupid I know but if I dont use mtu on client I get terrible data transfer rates I may as well just have a base 10/100 switch so by doing that I at least bump my data transfer rate by 500%..
curiosity22 wrote:- it used to be 11,500 kbytes copying to and from
this is very near to the theoretical data rate of 100 Mbit/s resp. 12.5 Mbyte/s minus some of the protocol overhead.

Something is wrong or certainy badly odd if your computer is reporting anything above the 12.x MByte/s or ~12500 kByte/s

Most non-managed 10/1'' Eethernet/FastEthernet switches dodn't support JF at all - there must be plenty of L1..L2 issues.

Pleae double check if your switch is not GbE capable. If you are seriously looking for more performance, a simple, non-managed GbE switch is the ** minimum to start.
curiosity22

Post by curiosity22 »

Well Im going to replace the WD green drive I have in the Qnap as suggested by Qnap support will no in a couple of days, it'll take that long to transfer the data across.

The components in my system are ok, and while I'm being forced to buy another hard drive I may as well add another switch to see if that makes some improvement.

As far as transfer speed currently Im still getting from the Qnap a full on average 54,000 kbytes to my system 1.7 gig file copy about 30 secs.. so far with the way it is setup .. If I change any of the current settings I have the transfer from the Qnap to my system drops to about 11k..

I guess in the long run I am asking a lot from a low end nas box.. if I can achieve a 20k transfer to the qnap Id be a happy camper... cause 11k to is just to dam slow and the 5k between the drives is not acceptable at all..
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Long before replacing the WD Green I owuld install a GbE switch...
curiosity22

Post by curiosity22 »

Well I'll take that as sound advice....

Will let you know how I go..
curiosity22

Post by curiosity22 »

Update,

Got an 8 port gigabit switch this morning - no joy same performance so next step is to replace the drives...

Funny thing is one of my good friends has the same ts-212 as I do has two green drives and doesn't have an issue.. fast transfer speeds to/from and between his drives.. So go figure..

Will post again once my new h'ds arrive on Monday..
curiosity22

Post by curiosity22 »

Well while I wait on new drives thought I would disable parking on the green WD using wdidle3... Have also updated firmware on seagate barracuda (sounds impressive but its not)...

Still same performance from ts-212...

Well last bite at the cheery monday when new drives arrive and if no joy then I guess its time to go rounds with Qnap support...
curiosity22

Post by curiosity22 »

Well here's something interesting - I have one of those external esata open boxes - the type where you just plug the h/d in from the top..

data transfer from qnap to esata external 55,500 kbytes - transfer from external esata to Qnap average 35,000 kbytes..

Ok go figure so now Im confused totally.. anyone have a clue as to why this might be? I really do not understand you would expect the same type of performance or non performance across the board..
curiosity22

Post by curiosity22 »

Ok,

I have completely reformatted my system fresh OS virtually bare bones... My new drive arrived. Have made an image copy from WD to the Seagate. No system tweaks everything standard.
Transfer rate from Qnap to my system average from both drives 60,000 kbytes (an improvement), file transfer to Qnap from system 15/20000 kbytes. (it should be better)
Transfer internally Qnap drive to drive 15/20000 kbytes. (still not happy with that)
Am having issues checking the new drive for whatever reason it won't unmount so I need to resolve that before further comment. I have a sneaking suspicion that a slight error may have occurred on imaging the drive causing it to not unmount, (imaging drive with 1tb of data took just over 10 hours..)
If I can work out the unmount and check the drive will post if any changes to data transfer rate.

Return to “Windows”