TVS-471U-RP as ESXi Datastore with one SSD

QNAP NAS solution for server virtualization and clustering/HA/FT
oss@ecckie.de
New here

TVS-471U-RP as ESXi Datastore with one SSD

Post by oss@ecckie.de »

Hello,

I have QNAP TVS-471U-RP (i3 processor), with dual 10GB Network Card. Also, I want to put inside one Samsung Enterprise SSD SM863 (1.92TB), and the use this configuration as ESXi Datastore for Virtual Machines.

I will then connect this QNAP to 10GB Switch, and use it as a DataStore for two ESXi Hosts (also connected with 10GB NIC to switch) where I will have 40 VM´s with Windows 7 OS, used for users desktop machines (accesed over VMware Horizon View).

Is there any best practice for this kind of configuration (NFS or iSCSI)? For now, I dont need any backup solution, but if this will work well, then I will buy one more SSD for RADI mirroring.

Thank you for help/advise...
storageman
Ask me anything

Re: TVS-471U-RP as ESXi Datastore with one SSD

Post by storageman »

Out of date, this is all I've seen.
http://files.qnap.com/news/pressresourc ... _above.pdf
oss@ecckie.de
New here

Post by oss@ecckie.de »

Thank you... but I think that is really old document...
Maybe someone has some simple directions...
Tnx
kbk00
Know my way around

Post by kbk00 »

40 VMs via a single SSD? good luck! I'd love to see the boot storm performance. please report back on how it goes!

I would use NFS for your export. You can use the fine manual to see how to export an NFS share. From there you can mount that to ESXi pretty easily, as well. Google will step you through that, too.

NFS is much simpler and imo better than iscsi. It's almost as fast but way easier to work with.

Return to “Server Virtualization & Clustering”