4.3.3 vSwitch VM not able to access lan

QNAP NAS solution for server virtualization and clustering/HA/FT
michael_yy
New here

4.3.3 vSwitch VM not able to access lan

Post by michael_yy »

Hi,

Just upgraded to 4.3.3 (so shouldn't!) have a very simple setup:

1) single pNIC connected to a vSwitch (192.168.1.20) (gw 192.168.1.1)
2) Ubuntu VM (192.168.1.22) connected to above vSwitch (gw 192.168.1.1)

VM can ping and access the NAS, no issue.

But the VM can access the rest of the LAN via pNIC , but the rest of the LAN can ssh & ping both NAS & VM, so basically can get in but can't originate out.

It's been 6 hours, and I need help!!!

thanks

Mike
torchredfrc
Starting out

Re: 4.3.3 vSwitch VM not able to access lan

Post by torchredfrc »

I'm having the same issue as you Mike, I've also opened a support ticket and am stuck waiting. My problem also originated after upgrading to 4.3.3.

Setup and issue as follows:
TVS-681
Physical NIC 1 & 2 bonded with rr configuration (192.168.2.35).
Physical NIC 3 configured but unused (192.168.2.37).
Physical NIC 4 assigned to virtual switch 1 (0.0.0.0 -- bridge).
Ubuntu VM NIC (192.168.2.30).

All systems using my edge router as gateway, 192.168.2.1.

Virtual switch 1 setup with spanning tree on and set to no IP address (bridge mode). Physical NIC 4 and my VM NIC are attached to this virtual switch.

My VM can ping the outside world but cannot resolve anything with nslookup (nslookup output below):

Code: Select all

;; reply from unexpected source: 192.168.2.37#53, expected 192.168.2.1#53
Route table looks good and I can ping external addresses:

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
default         192.168.2.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 ens3
192.168.2.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 ens3

PING 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=1 ttl=57 time=26.7 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=2 ttl=57 time=30.3 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=3 ttl=57 time=29.3 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=4 ttl=57 time=30.6 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=5 ttl=57 time=29.3 ms
^C
--- 8.8.8.8 ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 5 received, 0% packet loss, time 4006ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 26.738/29.279/30.653/1.371 ms
VM has correct assigned interface / IP... not sure what the virtual switch is trying to do but it is not successfully bridging the network and is causing me a ton of issues. Considering moving away from QNAP virtualization station at this point, the downtime is rough.
torchredfrc
Starting out

Post by torchredfrc »

I wanted to add, the VM can not ping the NAS on any interface but can ping my laptop on WiFi. Additionally my laptop can ssh into the VM. External network connections to the VM can not be established at all.

I just noticed this post was a little old too, was this issue resolved? If so, can you please update with how it was resolved?
torchredfrc
Starting out

Post by torchredfrc »

Back to update on what I had to do to get my VM network working again...

First I removed Virtualization Station from the App Center, in preparation of rolling the QNAP firmware back from 4.3.3 to 4.2.3.

I used the following to downgrade my QNAP to 4.2.3:

https://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/Manually_Updating_Firmware
After downgrade I was able to create a Virtual Switch using my bonded adaptors and added the older version of Virtualization Station back to my QNAP via the App Center (the 3.0 version of Virtualization Station is not compatible with QNAP firmware below 4.3.3).

I recreated my VM and after an extensive fsck in BusyBox I was able to get back in and get the network, my services, and the virtual machine fully functional again.

This was a nightmare... I really wasn't expecting upgrading from 4.2.x to 4.3.x to be such a huge pain. After this experience I'm seriously considering just staying put at 4.2.3. QNAP Help Center support has yet to respond to the ticket I made trying to get this resolved -- it has been over 24 hours!
torchredfrc
Starting out

Post by torchredfrc »

Went back and upgraded to 4.3.3 again after migrating my VM to a VMware host instead of virtualization station. I was able to get everything functional with 4.3.3 using the following network configuration:

Virtual Switch 1 attached to:
NIC1 and NIC2 trunked using Balanced-tlb
vNIC

The VM inside of virtualization station can now see both the external network w/o the NAT error (shown via the nslookup result in my previous post) and it can see the NAS as well.

I'm not sure if just changing my previous setup in 4.3.3 to the above settings would have corrected this or not but it seems likely that this would have fixed it without all this extra hassle I went through. Hopefully no one else wrestles with this as long as I did.
torchredfrc
Starting out

Post by torchredfrc »

Another observation, I can cause this behavior to come and go by simply enabling and disabling QVPN service in the App Center...
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

torchredfrc wrote:Another observation, I can cause this behavior to come and go by simply enabling and disabling QVPN service in the App Center...
QVPN has had issues (even on 4.2.x) with supporting Port Trunking. In the past, while it would work after config there would be issues once you did a reboot.
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
torchredfrc
Starting out

Post by torchredfrc »

Was there any QNAP resolution to the QVNP service? Even if there was a white paper / work around that would be better than having it be unreliable and non-functional.
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

torchredfrc wrote:Was there any QNAP resolution to the QVNP service? Even if there was a white paper / work around that would be better than having it be unreliable and non-functional.
Not really. The easiest "solution" is eliminate port trunking or use a different port for VPN.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Paul

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
torchredfrc
Starting out

Post by torchredfrc »

Thanks for the reply Paul, I didn't notice I could assign a specific interface for QVPN. I enabled QVPN, verified my failure mode, and then changed the interface. The VM network is functioning correctly and the QVPN service stayed running. This will work for now, hopefully this is something QNAP is working to resolve or at least aware of.

I've opened a help desk ticket and referenced this specific thread as it has a better track of information vs the paragraph I put in the ticket.
torchredfrc
Starting out

Post by torchredfrc »

I spoke to soon, with QVPN enabled even on a different interface the VM can't see the NAS via the virtual switch.
aeversden
First post

Post by aeversden »

Did this get resolved as I'm having identical issue running a week old TVS-873?
wknas11
New here

Post by wknas11 »

Thank you for this. I have the same issue after the 4.3.3 upgrade. So wish I could go back to 4.2.5. Had no issues with it, felt it in my gut not to upgrade but did I listen to it, noooo. 4.2.5 VMs work fine on the virtual switch. VPN no problem. Was a happy camper. Now...not so much. I opened a ticket and while I was hopeful that I would hear something I felt in my gut I wasn't going to hear anything and of course I haven't so I am sooooooooo thankful for your post!!! So now its either no VMs or no VPN. What a place to be. Have to choose VMs of course. Hope QNAP fixes the issue. If you figure out a work around so we can have both worlds back, working VMs and working VPN I would love to hear it. Thank you again for your post, at least I got my VMs back. ty ty ty ty!

btw torchredfrc, I just stopped QVPN and my VMs were reachable and the VMs were able to reach the Gateway/NAS. etc. Didn't want to take a chance on rolling back to 4.2.5. Again, ty for posting this.
akatsuki
First post

Post by akatsuki »

My NAS also encountered the same problem after update to QTS 4.3.3.

I have stopped the QVPN but the problem is still there.
The VM can access other PCs in the LAN, except my NAS.

Is there any thing that I should try? I'm desperate.
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

First recommendation would be to open a helpdesk ticket with QNAP. The more people have tickets open, the more likely the issue will get resolved.
Paul

Return to “Server Virtualization & Clustering”