Enable Nested KVM - Nested Visualization

unlandm
New here

Re: Enable Nested KVM - Nested Visualization

Post by unlandm »

wmarsch wrote:Re-Installed VS -- > VS work.
Edit 01-module again. reboot . bingo

Confirm works on 4.3.4 .

Thank u
Hello wmarsch,

what did you change or insert in the 01-module file? Can't figure it out by myself...

Can you post the content of your working 01-module file here?

Thank You
pungpond
Getting the hang of things

Post by pungpond »

This solution is working.
thank you very much.

all I have to do is adding "nested=1" at the file "01-Module"
I don't have to set VT-x in the BIOS.
at first it seems not working but after I change the CPU in VM from "i7" to "Core2" then it works.

=============================
TS-451+
QTS: 4.3.4.0435 Build 20171230
amorales
First post

Post by amorales »

Confirmed. "nested=1" at the file "01-Module" still works for 4.3.4.
techeon
Starting out

Post by techeon »

I can confirm this works on TVS-463 (which is AMD cpu). VirtualizationStation 3 and firmware 4.3.4.0537

you just need to change this line instead:

elif [ $SVM_FEATURE -ne 0 ]; then
___load_module kvm-amd.ko nested=0

TO:

elif [ $SVM_FEATURE -ne 0 ]; then
___load_module kvm-amd.ko nested=1

Thanks to original poster
peelos
Been there, done that

Post by peelos »

Thanks for this, has anyone managed to get Hyper-V working? I would like to enable RemoteFX for GPU accelerated VM's.

When trying to enable the Hypervisor in Windows 10 Pro I see: "Virtualisation support is disabled in the firmware"

I am running 4.3.4 and
I followed the VS3 instructions exactly :
santiagax99 wrote:For VS3:

Check KVM modules parameters after reboot

Code: Select all

# cat /sys/module/kvm/parameters/ignore_msrs
Y

# cat /sys/module/kvm_intel/parameters/{nested,ept}
Y
Y
I can confirm that I see "Y" as required after a reboot.

However in the 2016 instructions for an earlier firmware
santiagax99 wrote: You need to stop virtualization station from webui and ensure that kvm and kvm-intel modules are unloaded

lsmod | grep kvm

must return nothing
I do in fact still see the modules loaded:

kvm_intel 148558 6
kvm 420416 1 kvm_intel

Could this be my issue in 4.3.4 / VS3 or is it no longer relevant?

Another question - For those who installed ESXi6 - which "Guest OS" did you choose?

thanks for the help in advance.
NAS: TVS-1282-i7-7700-40G / 4 x 500GB SSD 2.5" RAID 10 / 2 x 500GB M.2 SSD / 8 x 12TB WD Whites 3.5" RAID 6 / Noctua L9x65 / 3 x 80mm PWM Noctua fans / Corsair 600W PSU / Asus Turbo GTX 1060 6GB GPU
Software: Plex Media Server / Transmission / Sonarr / Radarr / Bazarr / Jackett / Tautulli / Home Assistant / Resilio Sync / Python / NetData / SortMyQPKGs
pfSense Firewall / OpenVPN Server: QOTOM Fanless Mini PC / Core i5 / 8GB RAM / 128GB SSD / 4 Gigabit NICs / AES-NI
Wireless Routers: 2 x Netgear AC1900 R7000 Nighthawk / 1 x Netgear AC3200 R8000 Nighthawk / FreshTomato Firmware
peelos
Been there, done that

Post by peelos »

I have checked and VT-x is enabled in Bios

Performed all instructions as above and see "Y" for KVM modules

>>>>

Those who say this works, what works exactly? What have you installed to confirm this works?

Has anyone got nested VM working or Hyper-V?

thanks
NAS: TVS-1282-i7-7700-40G / 4 x 500GB SSD 2.5" RAID 10 / 2 x 500GB M.2 SSD / 8 x 12TB WD Whites 3.5" RAID 6 / Noctua L9x65 / 3 x 80mm PWM Noctua fans / Corsair 600W PSU / Asus Turbo GTX 1060 6GB GPU
Software: Plex Media Server / Transmission / Sonarr / Radarr / Bazarr / Jackett / Tautulli / Home Assistant / Resilio Sync / Python / NetData / SortMyQPKGs
pfSense Firewall / OpenVPN Server: QOTOM Fanless Mini PC / Core i5 / 8GB RAM / 128GB SSD / 4 Gigabit NICs / AES-NI
Wireless Routers: 2 x Netgear AC1900 R7000 Nighthawk / 1 x Netgear AC3200 R8000 Nighthawk / FreshTomato Firmware
VirtualEverything
New here

Post by VirtualEverything »

Hi Everyone,

I'm running a 3085u, I've followed the instructions as posted previously and am now able to boot up my 64-bit VM, however I get the follow pop up whenever I boot up my VM.

"Virtualized Intel VT-x/EPT is not supported on this platform. Continue without virtualizaed Intel VT-x/EPT?"

Am I supposed to receive this prompt? How can I verify on my QNAP that the VT-x option is enabled. Also note that on initial power up out of the box, my device was running the QES OS.

My model qnap didn't come with a built in video card so I'm not sure how I can access my BIOS to enable the option. Guidance would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Markus1980
First post

Post by Markus1980 »

Hello I used the 01-module change (kvm-intel.ko nested=1)

I get for two QNAP Systems different results.

KVM Hypervisor (Debian 9 with QEMU) is working fine on the TS-453 Pro but not on TDS-16489U.

The non working kvm is only possible if the nested mode is "0" on the TDS-16489U but it shows
# cat /sys/module/kvm_intel/parameters/{nested,ept}
Y
Y

I have no idea.
5andman
First post

Post by 5andman »

hi guys,
just want to share my experience. I have TS-453 mini (so it supports VT-x) with 8gb ram.
I have installed the eve-ng lab for networking on the Virtualization station 3 (3.1.729 (2018-09-10)). But I always got the error message when it started "warning neither intel vt-x or amd-v found"

just went with santiagax99 instructions and got all 3 checks as yes after reboot.

Y
# cat /sys/module/kvm_intel/parameters/nested
Y
# cat /sys/module/kvm_intel/parameters/ept
Y

but still got the message.

1 more thing I needed to do is go to the QNAP Virtualization station in GUI and in the VM settings change processor type to "Passtrough" (as in attachment). then it worked for me :)
Haven`t seen people mentioning it here, so perhaps this will help someone
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kirilly
New here

Post by kirilly »

5andman wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:57 am hi guys,
just want to share my experience. I have TS-453 mini (so it supports VT-x) with 8gb ram.
I have installed the eve-ng lab for networking on the Virtualization station 3 (3.1.729 (2018-09-10)). But I always got the error message when it started "warning neither intel vt-x or amd-v found"

just went with santiagax99 instructions and got all 3 checks as yes after reboot.

Y
# cat /sys/module/kvm_intel/parameters/nested
Y
# cat /sys/module/kvm_intel/parameters/ept
Y

but still got the message.

1 more thing I needed to do is go to the QNAP Virtualization station in GUI and in the VM settings change processor type to "Passtrough" (as in attachment). then it worked for me :)
Haven`t seen people mentioning it here, so perhaps this will help someone
QTS 4.4.2.1270
Many thanks 5andman, this "Passtrough" CPU setting works for me with setting nested=1 in 01-module (described at viewtopic.php?f=318&t=118544#p571939 and below):

/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/QKVM/usr/etc/qvsd.d/44-preload/01-module
# 01-module
___load_module kvm-intel.ko nested=1
Also you may find the same description here (as 1 - permanent way) https://sdhuang32.github.io/enable-nest ... on-on-qts/

Return to “Virtualization Station”