877 Virtual solution.

BryceWilkins
Know my way around

Re: 877 Virtual solution.

Post by BryceWilkins »

yellowapple wrote:Hello again,

The 877 is really amazing, my configuration is now working with double GPU even if the small one (on the right of the picture) is not officially compatible.

I only had some trouble with the double keyboard and mouse through the KVM over IP.
You have to specify the USB extensions used by the VM/GPU and if the KVM is rebooting you loose this configuration.
I really have to find a way to stabilise or replace these devices. (KVM)

yA.
Hello! I'm new owner of TS-877 also and have followed a few of your posts about VM use; your applications/usage is pretty cool!

I'm wondering if your dual GPU setup (in photo above) requires use of the vQTS itself? Is it so that each QTS environment sees a separate GPU? In one QTS you assign GPU to VM for passthrough and in second QTS your other GPU is assigned to HD Station (or I guess it could be for second VM etc.) I know that a GPU can only be assigned to either VM or HD station -- never both at the same time -- but I was still wondering if two GPUs can work alongside each other in one QTS. Can you clarify? Perhaps it will explain why you have to use vQTS.

Also, I noticed your thread here that shows some neat 4k KVM over IP devices. Can you list the make/manufacturer of the device you use? Will be great to investigate a bit more these devices and how they work! :D
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

I would be interested in the HDMI KVM as well.
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
yellowapple
Getting the hang of things

Post by yellowapple »

Hello,

Thank your for your messages, GPU are not "yet" working under vQTS. Both GPU cards are currently assigned under the main QTS. vQTS has been created for lab purposes.
Concerning the KVM and HDMI over IP, I'm working on the subject for a long time for multiple reasons. The main one is to transfer all active devices in a rack to avoid nuisance mainly in the office, this is mandatory if you are working full day on a keyboard. The second one is flexibility, you can display the source where ever your want. Third one, I'm working now in the Audio IP world. :DD

Here is a small diagram of the test lab. I'm using currently three types of devices over IP separated by VLANs.

36 series that are "only" HDMI/IR over IP, you can select the source using a remote control. These boxes are quite stable - Accessible from VLC - PDF - https://files.dobs.com/index.php/s/8D7g6WyEZSWOH5P
37 series, KVM 4K over IP, USB/IR/Serial but source selection with dip switches. Stable in a single VLAN but I've faced one RMA - PDF - https://files.dobs.com/index.php/s/ufrGTjYMEsyOTTe
57 series, the top, KVM 4K over IP, USB/IR/Audio/Serial with remote control source selection. Currently impossible to get it stable, I'm working with the support - PDF - https://files.dobs.com/index.php/s/601QpZmetpQy8uc

The boxes above are coming from http://Foxun.com in China but they are not "finished". Software needs a lot of revisions.
I'll also test more devices coming from these companies - http://www.octinc.com.tw - http://www.sct.com.tw
QNAP TS-h1277-xu-rp, 64GB RAM SSD + SATA - 2 * MSI GPU
QNAP TBS-453a, 16 BG RAM, 1TB M2
BryceWilkins
Know my way around

Post by BryceWilkins »

Hi yellowapple/Laurent: Thanks for the detailed update on your setup! It's amazing how you are making use of the GPUs and KVM boxes -- very unique way to maximize use of TS-877! I agree, the KVM offers a huge flexibility to route the display source to wherever you want. That is something I will keep in mind to play with someday. Cool diagram to show how you have all the source and display devices connected -- that's quite a setup! :D

Thanks for clarifying that you have both GPUs actually running under QTS, without vQTS. I guess you've simply assigned one to HDStation and the other to VirtualizationStation. [THE FOLLOWING BIT IS WRONG! I imagine that with VirtualizationStation you do not need to use GPU passthrough because you are routing the HDMI signal directly into the KVM switch. This is really neat because many GPU do not allow the GPU pass-through option in virtual machine environment. So with the KVM switch you avoid that issue plus have the flexibility to route the signal to any display! :)]

Thanks also for info on the 4k KVM switches -- good luck with your testing and hope it will start to become more stable. Will be great if some more mainstream manufacturers enter this market to help bring more mature products to market. I will remember to keep a watch on this thread. :)

Best!
Last edited by BryceWilkins on Wed May 02, 2018 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

Bryce - a couple clarification points:

GPU passthrough isn’t ONLY about getting an HDMI connection/output. It also is required to be able to leverage the GPU for HW Transcoding/Acceleration/etc.

So even if you aren’t using the 4K output, you still would need to enable GPU passthrough to get the performance benefits of the add-on GPU card vs. the basic SW rendering.

YellowApple - Thanks for the diagram. I really like it as it helps me get some ideas for how to leverage my new Ubiquiti gear. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
BryceWilkins
Know my way around

Post by BryceWilkins »

Trexx wrote:GPU passthrough isn’t ONLY about getting an HDMI connection/output. It also is required to be able to leverage the GPU for HW Transcoding/Acceleration/etc.
So even if you aren’t using the 4K output, you still would need to enable GPU passthrough to get the performance benefits of the add-on GPU card vs. the basic SW rendering.
Ahh, thanks for this. I'll go back and edit my post. I'm not sure what I was thinking. It makes sense -- if one wanted to use the GPU natively in the VM (e.g. for hardware compute or graphics output) or within HD station (e.g. for transcoding) then you would need to pass-through the GPU hardware from QTS to where ever. Makes total sense...I'm not sure what I was thinking originally...
Trexx wrote: YellowApple - Thanks for the diagram. I really like it as it helps me get some ideas for how to leverage my new Ubiquiti gear. :)
Loving UBNT here, too :DD
yellowapple

Post by yellowapple »

Hello everyone still working :-)

I've been testing new KVM over IP devices and they are far better, I still have some small issues but this is globally working as expected.
Now I have a question, I get slowness and mouse jumping on the HD station of the 877. This is not the case of the NASBOOK. Do you have any idea?
How can I find information about the usb devices connected to the NAS?

Have a nice week-end.
Laurent
BryceWilkins
Know my way around

Post by BryceWilkins »

Hi Laurent!

Nice to hear your update and having more luck with KVM over IP devices!! That is great news because it's so flexible solution to access the remote machine in such "native" form (with actual keyboard, video and mouse without remote desktop connection) from many different locations.

I'm curious which KVM device you are now testing which gives you more success. Do tell! :D

Which Virtual Machine OS's are you connecting to? I have been testing Linux Mint 19 (both Cinnamon and Xfce) in Virtualization Station on my TS-877. Currently I access the graphical desktop via the browser...they run perfectly fine and it is okay for editing some configuration files etc., but any demanding graphics task would be poor. I noticed in Virtualization Station settings there is a few different "Video" settings one can select: VGA, VMVGA, Cirrus, QXL. Does anyone know if selecting either of these can improve the performance of graphics?

I plan to try proper remote desktop connection to the VM to compare the performance. Have you tried this? I wonder how KVM performance compares to remote desktop connection performance??

Later on --- when RAM is cheap again --- I will add more RAM (currently on the original 16GB) and a graphics card like your ASUS. It will be fun to get to that point but I will need to use KVM devices like you have because the TS-877 is far from my work desk.

Best of luck with testing! Have fun tinkering!
yellowapple

Post by yellowapple »

Hello there,

I've been testing new KVM over IP devices and they are working almost perfectly, the switch configuration is crucial. FYI, I've changed from Unifi back to Cisco due to a lot of issues with multicast. The tested KVM are HSE-1020-4K, http://www.wealleys.com/db/photo/files/HSE-1020.pdf

If requested I can send a link with a small video of the devices working (PM) :D

Concerning video speed, 2D benchmark tests are close but the real difference between GPU and QXL/QVM is 3D. Strangly, my performance test 9.0 is blocking on 3D tests for the QXL but I can see the huge difference :D.

Windows 10 - 4 cores - 16GB - GPU. Another strange point, the CPU mark is lower in GPU mode.

Windows 10 - 4 cores - 16GB - QXL/QVM. Notice the disk mark !!

BryceWilkins
Know my way around

Post by BryceWilkins »

Hello yellowapple! Thanks for your update! It's exciting to read about your setup working so well with the dual GPUs and 4k KVM boxes! Thank you for the update of which boxes you found as working very well. Great!

You mentioned send a PM to you for a small video to see it working. Unfortunately I can't PM you as "Contact" info is not showing...perhaps PM is not enabled? Can you check or post a link here for brief time? Thanks!
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

BryceWilkins wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:34 pm Unfortunately I can't PM you as "Contact" info is not showing...perhaps PM is not enabled?
No. It was unfortunately disabled many years ago for unknown reasons.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
BryceWilkins
Know my way around

Post by BryceWilkins »

P3R wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:04 pm
BryceWilkins wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:34 pm Unfortunately I can't PM you as "Contact" info is not showing...perhaps PM is not enabled?
No. It was unfortunately disabled many years ago for unknown reasons.
Oh, I see. Thanks for the info on that P3R!
yellowapple wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:22 am I've been testing new KVM over IP devices and they are working almost perfectly, the switch configuration is crucial. FYI, I've changed from Unifi back to Cisco due to a lot of issues with multicast. The tested KVM are HSE-1020-4K, http://www.wealleys.com/db/photo/files/HSE-1020.pdf

If requested I can send a link with a small video of the devices working (PM) :D
@yellowapple: PM is not working, so can you upload short video somewhere? Thanks!
yellowapple

Post by yellowapple »

Hello guys,
I just saw your post, sorry. I'll send a link in the coming days.
Happy new year.
yA
yellowapple

Post by yellowapple »

Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

BryceWilkins wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:28 am Later on --- when RAM is cheap again --- I will add more RAM (currently on the original 16GB)
you may want to keep an eye on prices for 2019
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/memory/

:' there are signs that prices may fall back to sane levels supposedly this year.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin

Return to “Virtualization Station”