KVM qcow2 format to QNAP Virtualisation Station

QNAP NAS solution for server virtualization and clustering/HA/FT
gregoinc
Know my way around

KVM qcow2 format to QNAP Virtualisation Station

Post by gregoinc »

Greetings folks,

I have been attempting to migrate a few VM's from Centos 8 running KVM to my QNAP TVS-882. Have tried a number of methods of migration but none have been 100% successful. I am essentially attempting to take the qcow2 format and migrating it to an ova or other formats. Managed to download the VMware converter, but it seems to be more geared towards converting an actual machine than a VM file?

Have read a number of posts in the forum, but haven't been able to find a truly peer reviewed process. Perhaps I've overlooked something, so please tell me what I've missed. Was wondering if there might be a 'go to' forum post or website that one of you has used successfully?

All help appreciated. Mark
rgarjr
Know my way around

Re: KVM qcow2 format to QNAP Virtualisation Station

Post by rgarjr »

i believe Virtualization Station uses the qcow2 format. So perhaps just changing the extension to .img Not sure though.

[TS-1677x] - Ryzen 2700, 64GB RAM, PSU: Corsair SF600 - [TS-1277] - Ryzen 2700, 64GB RAM - [TS-877] - Ryzen 2700, 64GB RAM - [TS-677] - Ryzen 2700, 64GB RAM, PSU: Corsair SF600 - [TVS-472xt] - i7-8700, 64GB RAM, PSU: Enhance Electronics 600W ENP-7660B - [TVS-871u-rp] - i7-4790K, 32GB RAM
gregoinc
Know my way around

Re: KVM qcow2 format to QNAP Virtualisation Station

Post by gregoinc »

rgarjr wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:37 am i believe Virtualization Station uses the qcow2 format. So perhaps just changing the extension to .img Not sure though.
Hi There,

Yes, I read that too, tried renaming the .qcow2 file to .img and using the .img file when creating a VM in Virt Station. Appears to load the VM, but the VM behaves really strange and doesn't appear to run. I have also attempted to change the KVM XML file to a format that is a .OVF file, but that hasn't been successful either. Inside a .OVA file there is normally an .VMDK file (the disk) and a .OVF file which contains the .XML info. Unfortunately it seems the format of the .OVF file needs to be a format that QNAP Virt Station is expecting to see.

I will keep looking a testing :)

Return to “Server Virtualization & Clustering”