Configuring virtualization station network

QNAP NAS solution for server virtualization and clustering/HA/FT
leosenko
Starting out

Configuring virtualization station network

Post by leosenko »

Virtualization station requires me to configure a "virtual switch". But when I connect it to a VM, i still need to connect the switch to a physical adapter. When I try to do it, I get:
"The adapter you selected is the system default gateway (Adapter 2). Do you want to make this virtual switch the default system gateway?"

No, I do not. I have had tons of issues with network not being avaiable after restart and all seems to have been tied to the automatic default gateway settings and one had to physically disconnect the network cable and connect again for the network to be available. I fixed the gateway to be on adapter 2 which is physically connected to the network that i want to access. I definitely do not want to change this or play with this as there seems to be some issue with startup order of things and I fear that if one does that and during boot, virtual switch will not be available, the system will not have network access and I again will be forced to navigate someone on the other side of the world to plug in and unplug the cable.

So is there any way to have virtual machines running on qnap without this settings? I do not even see, how this is relevant based on qnap network drawings. This should not be necessary. Also, btw, in the following steps of the switch configuration, it bothers one with NAT, DHCP. OMG this is called a virtual switch not a virtual router... I just want to share the physical ethernet port not do any high layer operations...
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Configuring virtualization station network

Post by dolbyman »

I use a virtual switch without any issues, but I could not follow what it is exactly you want to setup... maybe doodle or explain exactly how you want to setup the NAS + VM's

For instance, what do you mean by 'share' the internal network ports ?
leosenko
Starting out

Post by leosenko »

So, first thing:
what does it mean that the adapter is the system default gateway:
- When I check the "system default gateway" in settings, it is set to the "adapter 2" which is connected to the network and IP address of the NAS itself (the IP assigned to "Adapter 2").
- When I check the routing table, it says:
default 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1 100 Adapter 2
which is what it should be, that is 192.168.1.1 is the ip address of my router.

So what does it even mean "the default gateway ip" in the settings? I assume the system uses the routing table so things work and the default route should be to 192.168.1.1 via "Adapter 2".

Second, what I want is (replace xxxxxx with spaces, it does not get formatted properly otherwise):

VM1 -------|
xxxxxxxxxx| Virtual switch | ---- "Adapter 2"
VM2 -------|

Virtual switch working as L2 switch. Route for the NAS is set as above, and route for each VM is set to be at 192.168.1.1 via their respective virtual NICs.
If for some reason virtual switch fails to operate, i still want to be able to access the NAS. So I do not want NAS to have the route via some virtual device and some ip address that belongs to the switch. Which I believe would be equal to bridging between "Adapter 2" and virtual switch.
To summarize:
What is the meaning of "system default gateway" settings?
Is it possible to achieve the above configuration?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

So what you want is:

- Connect the NAS via one NIC to your network (external DHCP)
- Have the default gateway (the connection to the rest of your network) on that adapter.
- Have multiple VM's that use the Virtual switch (I guess you do not want NAT, so Bridge it is).

So just setup the virtual switch and chose the Vswitch as bridge adapter in the VM setup, that's the most basic setup.

Please post screenshots of your Vswitch and VM configs, otherwise it's hard to know what you are trying to do
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/tutorial ... ual-switch

best read up here to try understand better. for anything unsure u can try clarify here :)
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
leosenko
Starting out

Post by leosenko »

dolbyman wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:04 am So what you want is:

- Connect the NAS via one NIC to your network (external DHCP)
- Have the default gateway (the connection to the rest of your network) on that adapter.
- Have multiple VM's that use the Virtual switch (I guess you do not want NAT, so Bridge it is).

So just setup the virtual switch and chose the Vswitch as bridge adapter in the VM setup, that's the most basic setup.

Please post screenshots of your Vswitch and VM configs, otherwise it's hard to know what you are trying to do
Sorry for a late reply but i got distracted by other issues.
What I am looking for is:

- Connect the NAS via one NIC to your network (external DHCP) --- YES
- Have the default gateway (the connection to the rest of your network) on that adapter. --- YES
- Have multiple VM's that use the Virtual switch --- YES but also that the they can connect to my network (external to NAS).

The problem lies in attaching the physical ethernet port to the virtual switch. QNAP requires the virtual switch to become a default gateway which i want to avoid at all costs.

Why?
For some reason, the model that I have, has been experiencing serious network issues since purchase. Upon restart, randomly, there was no connection. The only solution was to manually unplug ethernet cable and plug it back in. I could not figure out what to do. The only thing that has helped was to enforce manual IP address and enforce manual gateway. I fear, once this changes, i get into trouble again and since I am managing this switch literally "over the ocean", this is very bad. I tried to troubleshoot the original problem with qnap but they wanted me to attach usb to the nas, which is difficult across some 10000km. Additionally, there is my idea that network interfaces start earlier than anything that deals with virtual switches so that it is ultimately safer to have the default route on the physical ethernet port.

So the question is, does this have a solution or virtualization station is unusable on this NAS in my case? Current config is below..
The system does not allow me to post as pictures due to width, so the links are
https://i.imgur.com/BIVBKgT.png
https://i.imgur.com/rbK7ni8.png
https://i.imgur.com/num7XAx.png
https://i.imgur.com/BlPnkxV.png
https://i.imgur.com/M53weu5.png
Last edited by leosenko on Sun Oct 23, 2022 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

VM and container station need virtual switch...
leosenko
Starting out

Post by leosenko »

dolbyman wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:55 am VM and container station need virtual switch...
The issue is that when virtual switch is connected to adapter, it takes over the default gateway which i cannot risk due to serious issues with qnap and network connectivity experienced earlier.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

I understand ...but works fine for all machines I have used VMStatuon on though

TVS-h1288X
TVS-951X
TS-853BU
TBS-453DX

Return to “Server Virtualization & Clustering”