VM/Virtual Switch configuration

QNAP NAS solution for server virtualization and clustering/HA/FT
agisten
Starting out

VM/Virtual Switch configuration

Post by agisten »

Hello,
Sorry for the probably basic question; I did try to RTFM and couldn't find an answer.
My Qnap is running QTS 5.0.1. latest container/virt stations. All (docker) containers use a NATed virtual switch, and it's usable.
For my sole VM (Haas), I want a dedicated IP (x.x.1.11) in the same subnet as NAS mgmt (x.x.1.57). The default gateway is set to a physical interface. A virtual switch (non-natted) isn't currently attached to a physical interface. Right now this vswitch doesn't allow static IP v4 config.
How do I make this happen while keeping NAS mgmt accessible on the same IP?
dolbyman
Guru

Re: VM/Virtual Switch configuration

Post by dolbyman »

Please write exactly what you are trying to to, including the IP subnets. No need to censor anything in a private range, these are not unique and hiding these makes troubleshooting a guessing game
agisten
Starting out

Post by agisten »

My apologies. I could see my unnecessary hiding of private IP could confuse.
The network is as basic as possible. all flat 192.168.1.0/24. HaaS (wanted) to be 192.168.1.11 and Qnap Mgmt 192.168.1.57.
It used to work fine until I had NAS back from RMA repair, and some configs, like the network/vswtich were not 100% as before, possibly my fault for not reconnecting it exactly.
So again, nas is wired with single 1gig ethernet to l2 switch. Single flat network. I am trying to have my HaaS VM not be NATed, but responded on a different IP on same network. I also prefer to keep the NAS mgmt on same IP as right now.

Let me know if this clarifies things.
Last edited by agisten on Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

So you say the subnet is 192.168.0.1/24 ..But then you give IPs in a different subnet ..192.168.1.11 and 1.57
agisten
Starting out

Post by agisten »

dolbyman wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:33 pm So you say the subnet is 192.168.0.1/24 ..But then you give IPs in a different subnet ..192.168.1.11 and 1.57
I hope we can get past sticking to my typos (the previous post was edited) and get on trying to assist me. I clearly said a few times, FLAT network. Single subnet. Basic.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Well if it was all a typo then we can then go ahead

If you set your NAS IP fixed, make sure you have it outside of DHCP scope or have an exception set.

The VMs are then set to brdige (vs host ir NAT) mode and should get IPs by your DHCP server (again if you want them staric, put them outside your scope)
agisten
Starting out

Post by agisten »

NAS mgmg IP is already outside the external DHCP scope and set static (192.168.1.100-200 is the DHCP scope range)
How exactly can I set VMs to be bridged?
VM network setting is forcing me to use a virtual switch, which, as I said, isn't configured for the network interface.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Set up virtual switch then..all my NAS use virtualswitch when VM and ContainerStation are involved.

I have vswitch setup in dynamic and static host configurations..so that should not be a problem

In a couple of minutes I can check a unit with static config and fixed IPs for management and VM (nextcloud running on VM)
agisten
Starting out

Post by agisten »

Then my next question is how to set up a virtual switch. I read it needs a static IP.
Do I pick another IP outside of the DHCP scope? Would I need to change NAS default gw to virtual switch? Is any of that could break networking?
On vSphere, a network-related change breaks the network, there is an automatic roll-back in a few minutes. Qnap doesn't seem to do that. It seems the only resolution is to reset to (some) default button on the back of the device.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

When vswitch is not installed via VMStation, either reinstall VMStation or install vswitch by itself

https://download.qnap.com/QPKG/netmgr_2 ... 225684.zip

Here is how it looks like on a TBS-453DX
TBS-Vswitch.jpg
VM-setting.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
agisten
Starting out

Post by agisten »

i'll post screenshots from my tvs later. I see that your Default gateway is already set to vswitch, mine isn't right now

Return to “Server Virtualization & Clustering”