Audio playback on Windows 10 VM

saniljacob
New here

Audio playback on Windows 10 VM

Post by saniljacob »

I have installed Windows 10 on Qnap VM but no audio hardware detected. Is any solution for this? I want to setup a streaming server.

Thanks in advance-SJ
saniljacob
New here

Re: Audio playback on Windows 10 VM

Post by saniljacob »

Briain
Experience counts

Post by Briain »

Hi

Yes, I use the free version of the one at http://www.vb-audio.com to pipe a streamed audio feed into Spectran (on my Win 7 VM) and it works very well.

Bri :)
TS-119, 1 X Seagate ~~ TS-219, 2 X Seagate (R1) ~~ TS-453A, 2 X 3 TB WD Red (R1) ~~ TS-659, 5 X 1 TB Hitachi Enterprise (R6)
APC Smart-UPS 750
saniljacob
New here

Post by saniljacob »

Thanks Briain... :geek: :D :D
Briain
Experience counts

Post by Briain »

Hi

No worries! :)

I should add - lest anyone else reading this gets unduly excited - that I use it as a virtual 'sound card' driver (on the VM) and then to direct that streamed audio feed into Spectran (also running on the VM), so I can visually monitor the properties of the audio stream (actually being streamed to the www from a Raspberry Pi, located in my cellar; the reasons for all that fun being explained on my friend's web page about the project; the receive end of it is now located at my house). What this does not do is to let me actually hear the VM's audio on any of the machines that are running Real VNC client (my Linux laptop and on my iPad); it is simply to visually show me what the signal 'looks' like (as there's not a version of Spectran for the iPad).

I'm not sure if there would be a way to actually hear the audio on a client machine, but I suspect that could be quite tricky (I haven't even considered looking into that, as I know for sure - from the information on their www site - that the RealVNC server doesn't support extending audio to the RealVNC clients).

Bri

PS Just out of interest, as well as the Qnap TS-453 running the VM, I am also using the Qnap's DDNS service (to update no-ip) and that's also working very well. The Qnap is actually behind 2 routers (so double NAT'd) and successfully obtains the WAN IP to send to no-ip. The Pi is behind the first Router and the stream is at http://radscot.ddns.net:8000

The attached picture is a screen dump from iPad (running RealVNC client to access the Win 7 VM on the TS-453) and it shows the Windows media player playing the stream, the selected sound device being the VB-Audio, and the Spectran screen (showing the audio from Windows media player being piped into it); the signal is about 60 Hz wide - as opposed to a very thin line - due to rain scatter causing Doppler shifting (it must currently be raining, up in the North of Scotland; it was 100 Hz wide about 10 minutes ago, so it must have been pretty pretty fowl weather at that time). :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TS-119, 1 X Seagate ~~ TS-219, 2 X Seagate (R1) ~~ TS-453A, 2 X 3 TB WD Red (R1) ~~ TS-659, 5 X 1 TB Hitachi Enterprise (R6)
APC Smart-UPS 750
saniljacob
New here

Post by saniljacob »

You are champion and you got a good brain. :D your name telling it. :D
julyusito
New here

Post by julyusito »

Hi boys

Could you explain how to do that?
I want to hear sound on my TV with Windows 10 VM.
I already install the VB Cable Driver, but does not work.

Thanks in advance.
cbadoud
Starting out

Post by cbadoud »

I'm completely disappointed with that problem. I've just bought an expensive NAS, and I'm seeing now that after nearly 2 years, this problem is not solved!!! I urgently need a solution because I don't have another computer (maybe I was naive, but I thought that I wouldn't need to buy another computer). If the solution is to buy a laptop, I'm really not satisfied with that! At this state, I don't consider that QVM is usable (and using virtual machines in web browser is even worse).
The other problem found is that my Blu-ray is not recognized, so why make advertisements for features that are not usable?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

did you install the guest addons ?

bluray (riripping) nas is in the pipeline..so driver support might improve
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

cbadoud wrote:I'm completely disappointed with that problem. I've just bought an expensive NAS, and I'm seeing now that after nearly 2 years, this problem is not solved!!! I urgently need a solution because I don't have another computer (maybe I was naive, but I thought that I wouldn't need to buy another computer). If the solution is to buy a laptop, I'm really not satisfied with that! At this state, I don't consider that QVM is usable (and using virtual machines in web browser is even worse).
The other problem found is that my Blu-ray is not recognized, so why make advertisements for features that are not usable?
Since you have provided no information about your "expensive NAS", I have not idea what model/configuration you are working with.

QVM is built on top of KVM & QEMU which are both technologies that have been around for a while in the Linux virtualization space. The web browser is an option of last resort for people who don't want to invest a little time into leveraging VNC, Spice, RDP, etc. to access their VM's.

As for buying a laptop, again since you have provide no information, I can't tell you if your expectations are unrealistic when using a celeron class processor such as those in the x51/53 family QNAP products or you are dealing with misconfiguration issues when running beefier processors such as the x73/x82 family boxes.

And as Dolbyman has stated, QNAP is bringing out a model with built-in bluray, so support may improve over time.
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

Or you could have taken the easy route and just "Enabled Audio" in the VM settings which would have emulated the Intel HD Audio driver (assuming you installed the appropriate guest tools/drivers in the VM).
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
cbadoud
Starting out

Post by cbadoud »

Hi everyone, my problem is now solved! My mistake was about choosing the right HDMI output... Thank you for trying to help me!

Return to “Virtualization Station”