Slow network speed copying files in virtual machine

QNAP NAS solution for server virtualization and clustering/HA/FT
Trexx
Ask me anything

Slow network speed copying files in virtual machine

Post by Trexx »

jimerb wrote:Some time has past since the last post here. Can anyone attest to good network performance using the TVS-873? I'm not sure if I should be using the same adapter on the virtual switch as the adapter the NAS itself is using?

My AVG copy speeds are
* 11.4MB from NAS to VM
* 14.5MB from VM to NAS

The data is not leaving the box so I don't know why it is so slow. It's a primary reason I bought the 873.
Need more information about your configuration for Qnap, VM, VM OS, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
jimerb
Know my way around

Re: Slow network speed copying files in virtual machine

Post by jimerb »

TVS-873, Virtualization Station 3.0. Windows 10 Enterprise, 8GB ram

I'm using the same virtual adapter as the NAS itself is using. I decided not to go to a second adapter to limit any potential that traffic would flow to a physical switch.

My hope is that by visualizing an OS on the same box as the SAN, I can maximize throughput for a very intensive CPU & I/O workflow I have.

Advice on how to maximize this would be greatly appreciated.
CONFIGURATION
UNIT: TVS-873 (x3) - Running 4.4.2
UNIT: TS-873 (QuTS Hero) 5.0
WINDOWS 10/11
1GB Ethernet
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

jimerb wrote:TVS-873, Virtualization Station 3.0. Windows 10 Enterprise, 8GB ram

I'm using the same virtual adapter as the NAS itself is using. I decided not to go to a second adapter to limit any potential that traffic would flow to a physical switch.

My hope is that by visualizing an OS on the same box as the SAN, I can maximize throughput for a very intensive CPU & I/O workflow I have.

Advice on how to maximize this would be greatly appreciated.
What is you VM settings in VS? Did you install the latest virtio drivers from the fedora project website?

Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
jimerb
Know my way around

Post by jimerb »

Trexx wrote:
What is you VM settings in VS? Did you install the latest virtio drivers from the fedora project website?

I'm using 4 cores 8gb ram AMD Operon 22xx CPU

When I try to install the VirtualIO drivers as outlined in this tutorial it doen't track at all with VS3.0 and in windows 10.
https://www.qnap.com/en-uk/tutorial/con ... ne&cid=112

There is no way to "insert a vm Driver", I can't find a SCSI controller in device manager. Not sure what to do? Could not find an updated procedure in google searches or on the forums.
CONFIGURATION
WINDOWS 10/11
1GB Ethernet
razulli
New here

Post by razulli »

I'm experiencing the same poor performance on an TVS-882 copying files into a vm.

This is my setup:
TVS-882 i5 16GB
6x 10TB Seagate Ironwolf (Raid 6)
no SSD (so far)
Virtualization Station 3.0
QTS 4.3.3

Virtualization Station:
vSwitch in bridge mode (NIC4 connected)
VM Windows 10 Pro x64 on the same volume as the smb share
4 cores, 4GB RAM
virtio drivers for hdd and lan installed

I can see around 120MB/s transfer speed when copying a 4GB file from within the vm from an smb share to the same smb share on the same volume as the vm. (Also tried with Intel Gbit ethernet driver instead of virtio which gave the same result but showed datatransfer on the physical network.) I would have expected a better performance with the virtio network driver as data is not transfered though the physical network. Seems as if the Raid itself is the limiting factor here. So it's all good.

But: Copying a file from an smb share into the vm is another story. The transfer begins with 100MB and slows down to 3-6MB/s after a couple of seconds. Copying a file inside the vm starts at 25MB/s and slows down to less than 500kB/s!

Will moving the vm onto an SSD help? Will using SSD cache help?
jimerb
Know my way around

Post by jimerb »

After tons of testing, I've given up using virtualization for high I/O operations. Disappointing but I found a silver lining.

I used the same workstation doing a lot of CPU intensive work which slowed the transfer down considerably.

Saving directly to the QNAP let's the CPU be as busy as it wants without hindering transfer speeds elsewhere on the network.

I'm leaving virtualization station for another day when a performance update arrives or I have a need that is not disk intensive.
CONFIGURATION
WINDOWS 10/11
1GB Ethernet
isando
First post

Post by isando »

Hi I have same slow LAN with my W2016 Server VM until i change the Model of Networkadapter!
see "https://www.qnap.com/en-us/how-to/faq/a ... windows-xp"
after doing this i got up to 75MB/s

TS-453A 16GB VM running on SSD
c0rs4ir
New here

Post by c0rs4ir »

I have a tvs 873 I recently purchased, it has 64GB. Set up windows 10 VM, installed airdc++ and discovered to hash 250gb it would take hours. Speed was 17MB/s. Then I decided to install airdc web ui on the NAS via qpkg, it hashed at 170MB/s. I was not expecting VM network speeds to be this slow. Now I'm thinking of instaliing my bittorrent client on the NAS too.

Update: 5/7/2017
Changed the model of network adapter from default Realtek Fast Ethernet to Intel Gigabet Internet. Now i get speeds of 80 to 100MB/s.

Return to “Server Virtualization & Clustering”