Container station - failure to create contaiiner

panto
Know my way around

Container station - failure to create contaiiner

Post by panto »

I get the following error when attempting to create a jupyter/datascience-notebook container

Code: Select all

Background task error for create: failed to register layer: ApplyLayer exit status 1 stdout: stderr: open /opt/conda/lib/R/library/BH/include/boost/mpl/map/aux_/insert_impl.hpp: no space left on device
This container, from the dockerfile, is based on the jupyter/scipy-notebook container. That particular container builds without issue. The volume on which containers are stored is fine for space with several TB free. I am guessing that this space issue is something to do with the configuration of Docker on the NAS device and some part of how it creates container images. For instance, like a /var running out of space etc.

The NAS is a TVS-882 with the i5-6500, 16GB RAM, running QTS 4.2.2 (2-11-2016) and Container Station 1.6.1709 which seems to have Docker version 1.11.2, build 3a84010.

If anyone can advise that would be great, especially if there is a command line workaround to build the image that cannot be replicated in the web UI.
TS-439 Pro running Debian Stretch, TVS-882 running QTS.
josham
First post

Re: Container station - failure to create contaiiner

Post by josham »

I had the same issue (with the same image). Did you figure out a solution?
panto
Know my way around

Post by panto »

Unfortunately not yet. I believe it may be something to do with the doccker implementation on the NAS. The version on the NAS (1.11.2) is quite a way behind the latest edition and a lot has happened since then so the issue may well be fixed already. However, given QNAP seems to try concentrating on too many hip features at once and so cannot keep up with necessary updates like a good vendor should it may be some time until we see those updates.
beluga
New here

Post by beluga »

Same here. Too bad this was reported a year ago and I still run into it.

---------------

OK, update: I uninstalled ContainerStation, removed the Container shared folder and started over installing it from scratch. Now it works :)
panto
Know my way around

Post by panto »

My workaround has been to create a Debian VM with auto updates and install anaconda on there. I have then configured it to run jupyter hub/lab with a mount point onto the host NAS for notebook storage.
Latest docker version on my NAS (courtesy of container station) is...

Docker version 17.07.0-ce, build fd7dc00

but I haven't retried that image.

Return to “Container Station”