GPU acceleration

QNAP NAS solution for server virtualization and clustering/HA/FT
fatfreddys
New here

GPU acceleration

Post by fatfreddys »

Hi fellow members of this excellent forum.

My question do concern graphic accelleration in VM's running over VNC/RDP/Teamviewer or such application.

Background. Today I'm running a W7Pro VM on TVS-671 with (i7 4790S) without getting the onboard GPU to accellerate 2D/3D via Remote Desktop Connection. This make the experience really sluggish when working in that enviorment.

Question. Can I get any (intel onboard / AMD add-in) GPU in a TVS-x82 to accellerate my Win7Pro VM through VNC/RDC?

I found this document which I do not fully understad. It seems to require a monitor hooked up to the HDMI port to work. Which I do not want. My use is strictly through remote connection. But I wish it to be accellerated in at least 2D
https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/tutorial ... on-station
Trexx
Ask me anything

Re: GPU acceleration

Post by Trexx »

The first thing I would make sure of is that you have installed the VirtIO "Guest Tools" and drivers in your Win7Pro VM. I have them installed in mine and have no issues with sluggishness when connecting via RDP. There are other settings in terms of turning off/down Aero features on the desktop and such that will also help by reducing animation and such. The other change is that VirtIO drivers are really optimized for 32-bit color, so changing to that vs. say 16-bit color can help too.

That said, without GPU offloading you aren't going to be running things like autocad on it,but you should be fine for normal browsing, office, etc.
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
fatfreddys
New here

Post by fatfreddys »

That's the thing I was looking for. Smooth operations in not so gpu extensive applications. Like browsing, file managing, some business specific applications which ain't GPU heavy. Not like video editing, autocad or nothing like that.

So basically follow the tutorial I posted and installing VirtIO "Guest Tools" will get my TVS-671 Win7Pro run smooth as a *****? :DD

You must think I'm a ignorant ** not even thinking of these "Guest Tools". But to my defense I'm a Mac-user and we tend to forget that you actually have to do stuff to make things work. :lol:
Men will not survive without jokes. :)

I'm curious to test things out but doesn't have the time for a couple of days. Is these VirtIO "Guest Tools" supposed to work with the iGPU on the i7 as well?
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

I have mac at home too, but also many years working on the windows side. The "Guest Tools" are more optimized drivers vs. GPU Passthrough which you are referring too.

This article gives a better view of the difference. https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/tutorial ... on-station
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq

Return to “Server Virtualization & Clustering”