Virtual switch / container station

QNAP NAS solution for server virtualization and clustering/HA/FT
robgrey
New here

Virtual switch / container station

Post by robgrey »

Hi
I am using a tvs882, so far I am reasonably happy with it, certainly for its multimedia capabilities.
Now i require a mail server for my small business.
I have installed Xeams, and have had it working without using SSL.
After contacting Xeams customer service, they have asked why I have installed Xeams behind a virtual switch. (it has done by default)
I can't delete this switch, so I have deleted container station, which has now broken Xeams. I have uninstalled, then re-installed to get back basic functionality.
Is there anyway around this. As far as I can see I don't need a virtual switch, (even if i really new what one was)
I have copied pasted my email to them, and their reply....

any help most appreciated as its driving me nuts
==========================================================================================
What is the purpose of using a Virtual Network? I ask because the program running on your QNAP (Xeams as well as any other) will always see messages coming from 10.0.5.3 instead of the actual IP address on the Internet. Since Xeams will see every email coming from this IP, you will lose about 60% of its filtering capabilities. If you have a choice, remove this Virtual Network from the picture.

I am not sure what you mean by "you have edited the user External Host Name"? Where did you edit this and what difference did this change make in your network - meaning what would happen if you removed this? Your answer will help me understand this scenario better.

As far as SSL goes, you should NOT use a self-signed certificate. That is because other servers/client connecting from Internet may decide NOT to trust this certificate and as a result may not send an email to your network. You should consider purchasing a valid certificate from a CA that belongs to your external host name of your network.

Regards,

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Xeams
I have installed Xeams on my Qnap. I have it up and running fine without SSL using ports 25 & 110.
The Qnap has installed Xeams behind a virtual switch, with the IP address assigned as 10.0.5.3
The host qnap has an address of 192.168.1.10.
I have changed the edit user external host name to my network external ip address. (I have a static ip). I have also pointed my router to forward the ports required to the host internal ip of 192.168.1.10. Is this correct?

Now i have done this, attempting to use SSL on the relevant imap and smtp ports (993 & 557) is just bringing up, can not connect to server error.
Is there a self signed certificate installed already with Xeams?? If so, I would have expected my clients to have come up with a security issue. Am I correct?? Do I need to do anything to use this??
Trexx
Ask me anything

Re: Virtual switch / container station

Post by Trexx »

I would probably recommend just using the prebuilt Xeams QPKG located here:
viewtopic.php?f=320&t=131909&p=610259&h ... ms#p610259
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
robgrey
New here

Post by robgrey »

many thanks.
could you point me in the direction of Qjdk8
its asking for this first. (I have found 7)
regards
rob
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

Did you try using the forum's search function in the upper right corner?

viewtopic.php?f=320&t=109445&hilit=qjdk8
Paul

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
robgrey
New here

Post by robgrey »

Many thanks. I did a search of google. obviously not enough. as it happens, JRE has done the job.
so far it looks like this may actually start working.
I have reset all network settings, loaded JRE via the console, and loaded Xeams manually. it is now using the Nas host address, instead of random virtual switch.
If this software is loaded up via the console it creates its own problems by using container station etc.
I will keep you informed.
Im an engr by trade, not an IT type, so if my etiquette is not quite their you have my apologies.
many thanks for the help so far
regards
rob
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

Glad to hear things are looking up.
Paul

ausloki
New here

Post by ausloki »

I have the same issue.
Even the link provided fails to install and the logs state I need to have container station installed as a dependency.
loknath_p
Starting out

Post by loknath_p »

Xeams doesn't ave good support.
Antmannz
First post

Post by Antmannz »

I couldn't get Xeams to work correctly in Container Station either.

After waay too much time ** about with it I downloaded the Xeams VM (http://www.xeams.com/XeamsDownload.htm - choose the Virtual Machine option, not the QNAP package) and set it up inside the Virtualization Station. Had it working correctly (and more important, it was stable) inside about 40 minutes.

Return to “Server Virtualization & Clustering”