WinServ VM backup vs cloning

QNAP NAS solution for server virtualization and clustering/HA/FT
dialbat
Starting out

WinServ VM backup vs cloning

Post by dialbat »

Hello,
i want to reinitialize my TS-470 Pro. I have WinServ2012 running and iSCSI luns.
I've backed up luns to external drive, I've cloned VM to external drive and i copied VM file as well.
My VM image file is 120gb, cloned is 62gb - how is that?
What is the best way to backup VM, so i can import it after i reinitialize system?

thank you
flagator
Know my way around

Re: WinServ VM backup vs cloning

Post by flagator »

I'm wondering the same thing. Just ordered a couple m.2 SSDs and I'm going to reinitialize to put the QNAP OS and VM's on the SSD's. Were you able to re-create your VMs using the backup VMs?
Dan

TVS-473-8GB
QTS Version 4.3.4.0695 Build 2018/08/30
Storage Pool 1 - HDD Volume1 - Four WD Red 4TB in RAID 6 - Thick-Provisioned
NAS backup to WD Red 8TB via USB Dock
CyberPower CP1000PFCLCD
Gigabit home network
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

dialbat wrote:Hello,
i want to reinitialize my TS-470 Pro. I have WinServ2012 running and iSCSI luns.
I've backed up luns to external drive, I've cloned VM to external drive and i copied VM file as well.
My VM image file is 120gb, cloned is 62gb - how is that?
What is the best way to backup VM, so i can import it after i reinitialize system?

thank you
Clone shares code from original VM
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

There are a couple scenario's that may account for this.

1) VM files will grow based on disk usage, even temporary usage, but they will not shrink. So for example, say MS releases a 10GB Service Pack, which you then install and it uses another 20GB to unpack/update/etc. Your VM file will grow 30GB, but won't shrink back once the install is done/you delete the files.

2) There was an issue for VM's created in the prior version of VS 2.x that had snapshots enabled, didn't come cleanly over into VS 3.x and sometimes could "over-allocate" past their defined VDisk limit. Doing a VM backup, and Restore typically resolves these issues.

VS 3.x removed the "clone" function, so your best option is to use VS 3.x backup function, backup the files to an external system (NAS/USB/etc.) then do a VM restore after re-initializing the system.
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq

Return to “Server Virtualization & Clustering”